What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Villa-Lobos: Symphony No. 12, Uirapuru & Mandu-ÇararáMI0001012121.jpg?partner=allrovi.com61TrfVvf2CL._SY300_.jpg

There's a moment in the first Penderecki SQ that sounds like the famous shower stabbing music in "Psycho". They're both from 1960 so probably sheer chance. Must have been something in the air.  

The shower-stabbing music comes pretty directly from an early Prokofiev symphony, either no. 2 or no. 3, don't recall which right now.

Szymanowski, K.: Symphonies Nos. 1 And 4 / Concert Overture / Study In B Flat Minor (Warsaw Philharmonic, Wit)Szymanowski: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2 / Bartok: Two Pictures

! + 2. Still don't really get these.

51WLFodvRVL._SY300_.jpg

New to me...think I'm going to like these. 

Then donned my dinner jacket, pince-nez and connoisseur scowl for some...ahem...'serious listening':

aa70dba08ea14767942c6239150efe81.jpg

Op 135 and the end of my 5 month odyssey. Before buying this 10-15 years ago I'd been intimidated by the reputation of these quartets (all that bolloxing about sublime utterances) but a chance hearing of the slow movement to this quartet drew me in. As well as that movement I was also especially taken by the fast movement - reminded me of the similar one in the 7th Symphony. Some dodgy recording/transfer moments on this reissue - things that sound like 'flutter' in places. When I first bought it one of the other discs wouldn't play properly and I eventually had to buy the two offending tracks off iTunes. I find that with some of these bargain basement mega-box sets. Can be very careless. Suspect the trouble today was in the transfer to this format. It seems to now have a different cover. Will probably go for a more recently recorded set in the near future and put this one to bed. [Nothing wrong with the playing...as far as I can tell, that is!]

R-3337877-1326391588.jpeg.jpg

No 12. Whenever I set out to listen to this I don't expect much and yet nearly always enjoy it far more than expected. I imagine that I've read so many accounts putting it down that my own reaction gets smothered. Particularly enjoyed the slow movement today. The book I've been using to steer me through the structure of the symphonies and concertos demonstrates very clearly how virtually all the themes are derived from the opening - I'd have never had noticed that on my own but when you know it's there it's obvious. 

Back to background music:

R-6256136-1414923419-1791.jpeg.jpg

The Britten and Holst are pretty well known but the Bliss is a rare one. Ideal for a beautiful late afternoon with the sun shining. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

The shower-stabbing music comes pretty directly from an early Prokofiev symphony, either no. 2 or no. 3, don't recall which right now.

not sure about the symphony but the Prokofiev (and Shostakovich) influences are recurring in Herrmann`s Euvre ..... and on a side note: Hitchock originally intended to have the "shower scene" without music just with the sounds of shrieking, stabbing and splashing ....

Edited by soulpope

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Concerto for Violin No.4 in D major K 218 (cadenzas: Kreisler)
— Fritz Kreisler (violin) – Orchestra – Landon Ronald

Ludwig van Beethoven – Concerto for Violin in D major Op.61 (cadenzas: Kreisler)
— Fritz Kreisler (violin) – Berlin State Opera Orchestra – Leo Blech (EMI Classics)

Kreisler_2650422.jpg