What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MS0xMzYxLmpwZWc.jpeg

This probably was the release that initiated my love for harpsichord music, although the sound disappoints me after so many years. Almost monophonic, and the microphones at too much of a distance, as if it were a grand piano in a concert hall. There are many better sounding recordings from that time (1976). Alan Curtis plays very well, though. The cover, btw, shows the harpschord lid of Balbastre's own instrument, used later by the Pleyel company to build a fortepiano. 

Edited by mikeweil

More 20th c. French music:

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Darius Milhaud: Le Boeuf Sur Le Toit ; La Création Du Monde / Orchestre du Theatre Des Champs-Elysees, conducted by the composer (Nonesuch, rec. 1958)

I've added this LP to my collection after first hearing the music on YT just a few weeks ago.  It's music that's bursting with life!

3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

This probably was the release that initiated my love for harpsichord music, although the sound disappoints me after so many years. Almost monophonic, and the microphones at too much of a distance, as if it were a grand piano in a concert hall. There are many better sounding recordings from that time (1976). Alan Curtis plays very well, though. The cover, btw, shows the harpschord lid of Balbastre's own instrument, used later by the Pleyel company to build a fortepiano. 

Mike, is there a harpsichord thread on the forum where you (and others) have discussed your favorite recordings?  If not, I'd love to hear about your desert-island harpsichord discs. It's an area of music that I know very little about.

:)

Edited by HutchFan

24 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Mike, is there a harpsichord thread on the forum where you (and others) have discussed your favorite recordings?  If not, I'd love to hear about your desert-island harpsichord discs. It's an area of music that I know very little about.

AFAIK there is no such thread. Somebody will have to start one .... :cool:

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

More 20th c. French music:

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Darius Milhaud: Le Boeuf Sur Le Toit ; La Création Du Monde / Orchestre du Theatre Des Champs-Elysees, conducted by the composer (Nonesuch, rec. 1958)

I've added this LP to my collection after first hearing the music on YT just a few weeks ago.  It's music that's bursting with life!

Got that lp back in the day and replaced it on cd a couple of years ago -

61pT78gqGtL.jpg

10 hours ago, soulpope said:

Interesting performance .... prefer the  Juilliard Quartet's version though ....

Yeah, I need to hear the Juilliard's version. 

Have you heard Hermann Scherchen's arrangement for orchestra?  I love it.

MjktMjM0OS5qcGVn.jpeg

I bought this Canadian "Hermann Scherchen Edition" 2-disc set when I was visiting Canada twenty years (or so) ago.  Positive associations.  :)  

2 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Got that lp back in the day and replaced it on cd a couple of years ago -

61pT78gqGtL.jpg

:tup  Fantastic music & performances. 

Back to Mahler's Ninth:

OC03Mjg2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Mahler: Sym. No. 9 / Bernstein, NYPO (Sony)

This version is similar in conception but less extreme than Lenny's later M9 with the Concertgebouw.  I love them both. 

I'd put those two Bernstein recordings right at the top of my Mahler Nine heap -- along with Jascha Horenstein (1952) and Bruno Walter (1961).

Such a magnificent work!

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Yeah, I need to hear the Juilliard's version. 

Have you heard Hermann Scherchen's arrangement for orchestra?  I love it.

MjktMjM0OS5qcGVn.jpeg

I bought this Canadian "Hermann Scherchen Edition" 2-disc set when I was visiting Canada twenty years (or so) ago.  Positive associations.  :)  

Yep, excellent .... still the pure version for string quartet remaines nearer to my heart  ....