What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 8:56 PM, jeffcrom said:

1_7e04d20b0e1fb90bd1ba1aca6b903753.jpg

James Houlik Plays the Tenor Saxophone (Golden Crest LP). Spun this for the first time a few years, since it was misplaced. (The story is in another thread.) The most substantial pieces here are by Walter Hartley - "Poem" and a sonata. But I've always been fascinated by William Duckworth's "Pitt County Excursions," a four-movement suite in which the movements time out at 1:02, 1:03, :24, and :41. The saxophone part of "Air," the second movement, consists entirely of multiphonics.

I've only heard a copy of this, share your regard for it, and am totally delighted by that cover photo!

http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/large/UCRY_S158__78022__10072011012359-5829.jpg

James Dawson - Soprano Saxophone (Crystal LP). I'm not sure why I haven't played this mint-condition 1982 LP for a while. Dawson has a beautiful sound and is a very sensitive player, as are all his accompanists. The music is all from between 1957 and 1980; I particularly like Walter Hartley's off-center "Diversions" for soprano sax and piano and Warren Benson's conservative, but gorgeous Quintet for saxophone and string quartet.

John ColtraneLike Sonny (Roulette Jazz / Capitol Records)
— With John Coltrane (tenor sax) McCoy Tyner (piano) Steve Davis (bass) Billy Higgins (drums)
— Coltrane's first recording with McCoy Tyner; nice version of Coltrane's "Like Sonny" 
— Originally issued in 1962 by Roulette as half of The Best of Birdland, Vol.1 (but it was recorded in an LA Studio in 1960)

Ray DraperA Tuba Jazz [on Coltrane's Like Sonny] (Jubilee Records — Roulette Jazz / Capitol Records)
— With Ray Draper (tuba) John Coltrane (tenor sax) Jon Mayer as John Maher (piano) Spanky DeBrest (bass) Larry Richie (drums)
—  Includes covers of two Sonny Rollins tunes; 1958

MI0000515540.jpg?partner=allrovi.com41h7YXaxZeL.jpg

Edited by alankin

Julian Anderson: In lieblicher Blaue, Alleluia & The Stations of the SunFoerster: Cyrano de Bergerac, Shakespeare SuiteSU4038_2_xl.gif

Dvorák: Slavonic Dances op. 46 & op. 72; Overtures and Symphonic Poems (3 CDs)Tchaikovsky / Dvorak: Serenades For Strings

Disc 2 of the fourth - pick'n mix symphonic poems and overtures; just the Dvorak on the latter.

All on headphones on a brilliant summer's day whilst pottering in the garden. They say it's warmer here than Ibiza. Music's better here, too. 

And the following morning....

Smetana: String Quartets Nos. 1 "From My Life" & 2

Edited by A Lark Ascending