Sun Ra: To Those Of Earth ... And Other Worlds

Late

MI0003980414.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Gilles Peterson was given the opportunity to work with Sun Ra's catalog, and this 2-disc anthology does not disappoint. It has to be the best sounding Ra comp I've ever heard. The music selection ranges from 1957-1980, and though Ra fans will have a lot of this music already, there are four previously unreleased (live) tracks, which is a nice touch.

A search here didn't yield any prior thread on this comp, but there might be one. Anyone else purchased this set? I didn't think I'd like this Ra compilation as much as I do, so I thought I'd share the recommendation here. A big :tup.

Tracklist here. (Scroll down.)

Stunningly good compilation - as mentioned in the 'Listening' thread I've been spinning this one pretty well non-stop. It works really well as a mix compilation and I agree that the sound is first rate (noticeably better than the Evidence issues of some of this material). I guess that can be credited to Art Yard's involvement.

Nice booklet too, with a good Robert Campbell essay and some fine, rare photos by Val Wilmer.

Talking of Art Yard, - they have just reprinted that rare Hartmut Geerken 'Omniverse' tome; very tempted to put in an order for that one.