Buying New or Used:

Guest Chaney

A follow up question - and playing devil's advocate: What's the difference between buying a used CD and obtaining a copy (CD-R)? As neither option puts money in the artist's pocket, why even bother buying used? Let's all just burn copies for one another.

A used CD was once new. (unless you have a promo or cut-out, and thats a whole 'nother argument) When it was first purchased, it did put money into the artists pocket. With a CD-R, the artist is never paid.

A follow up question - and playing devil's advocate: What's the difference between buying a used CD and obtaining a copy (CD-R)? As neither option puts money in the artist's pocket, why even bother buying used? Let's all just burn copies for one another.

That just doesn't make sense. Sorry, but there is no similarity whatsoever between buying used and burning copies. Buying used removes a legitimate copy of the CD from the marketplace, burning a copy does not. As I said in my previously, if the original buyer feels that the recording just didn't click, I see no reason for them not to recoup some of their losses, and let the next person give it a shot. This is hardly the same thing as keeping the disc, and stealing copies for friends.

Not to be insulting, but this comparison is just plain silly...

If you buy used, the money goes into the pocket of the seller and not the artist.

If you receive a burn, no money goes into the artist's pocket.

In this regard, how do these transactions differ?

If you buy used, the money goes into the pocket of the seller and not the artist.

When you make a CD-R copy, you're in essence putting another copy of the album into circulation - a copy that the artist receives no compensation for.

Whereas with buying used, you're not introducing another copy of the album into the market. The existing copy, for which the artist has already been compensated for, is simply exchanging hands.

Therein, to me, lies the difference.

If you buy a new CD, only a small part of the money goes into the pocket of the artist. It could even be that the artist has been paid a lump sum for the performance, and he gets nothing from the CD sales. I'm speaking of the jazz market, not the pop charts.

To ethically complicate things further - by the way, good question Tony - one could make the arguement that by burning copies (say for friends) and turning said friend onto a certain artist whom they would otherwise not spend their money on (or even be aware of), one is opening up the artist to a wider audience who might then go and actually buy their albums in the future or (more importantly?) pay to see them perform live. Screw my mangled syntax, but you get the point. I state the above from personal experience...

Well, I've certainly learned not to loan CDs, if that's what you mean! ;)

I must admit, I prefer CDs that look their best. No scuffs or scratches, no damage to the inserts. I could care less about the jewel box; I'll replace that if I have to. I dunno; probably something to do with toilet training or something...

• 7 months later...

I'm not just saying this because of our host and other board members, but...

I buy used whenever I can, except new releases which I must have (and are frequently marked down or can be preordered).

Except...

When I can buy a CD directly from an artist; or when I can buy an independent release directly from the label. Then, I will do so, and am picky about not buying such things used.

But...

If an artist refers me to Amazon or Tower, I will look for the CD used.

Unless...

The artist refers me to an independent seller (CD Baby, for example), in which case I will buy from the independent seller!

WHEW!

Super-conditional, but it works for me!

i could not have said this any better! B-)

I'm not just saying this because of our host and other board members, but...

I buy used whenever I can, except new releases which I must have (and are frequently marked down or can be preordered).

Except...

When I can buy a CD directly from an artist; or when I can buy an independent release directly from the label.  Then, I will do so, and am picky about not buying such things used.

But...

If an artist refers me to Amazon or Tower, I will look for the CD used. 

Unless...

The artist refers me to an independent seller (CD Baby, for example), in which case I will buy from the independent seller!

WHEW!

Super-conditional, but it works for me!

i could not have said this any better! B-)

:o

I don't think I could have said it at all!

I'm also curious about clubs like BMG ... do the artists get full royalties on CDs sold through these kind of outlets?

I don't think anyone has addressed this question yet, so...

It is my understanding that no, the artist does not get any royalties from the sale of discs through BMG. In fact, at least for the initial Buy 1, get 12 free type of deal, I believe these discs are considered "promotional" legally, and the artist is actually charged the promotion cost against future royalties, just as they would be for print or radio ads.

Another important (I guess...) distinction between buying new (or used) and getting a burn is that a burn creates no work for anybody other than CDR blank manufacturers/retailers. You buy new/used, you're dealing with a retailer, and that outlet is important (for now) in the overall chain of music creation/distribution, to say nothing of the overall "social" fabric of music accquisition.

Call me hopelessly 20th century, but I actually enjoy going into a store, hunting, selecting, kibbutzing w/the staff, etc. It's a crucial part of my collecting experience, historically, and unfortunately (for me), it's rapidly vanishing. In this part of the country, the used stores and the reatilers alike are dropping like flies, and that sucks.

Sure, the net offers great selection and the "joy" of never having to leave your house to get what you want, but just as a healthy music scene is dependent, eventually, on a healthy live performance scene, so is a healthy music retailing environment dependent, eventually, on a healthy "live" retailing scene. Some things there are no substitute for.

Besides, every CDR of an album has its origins, somewhere, in a copy that somebody bought somewhere, new, used, cutout, whatever. As label inventory control has greatly reduced the number of cutouts over the last decade or so, if you want to get one of those goodies before it vanishes, it's most likely going to be a used copy. Now, if there's no place to buy it, where you gonna go? And, perhaps more to the point, if there's no place to sell it, relatively speaking, how do you think the already strict inventory controls of the labels are going to respond? Most likely by making even fewer copies, right? So eventually, the whole thing dries up, and there's like 150 copies made because that's all that will sell for sure to a dedicated fan base, with no leftovers, and anybody else will have to hunt for CDRs. Yippee!

In a sense, trading of CDRs of OOP items instead of looking for them used, online or locally, is a form of "outsourcing" - "good" for you in the short term, but one day all of a sudden when you look up and there ain't no "there" there anymore, hey, what then?

The key to continuing to have is continuing to give. Lord knows I'm a glutton for the OOP CDR stuff, but if I find a "real" copy after the fact, I buy it anyway and pass the CDR on to somebody who will hopefully follow suit when possible. AFAIC, buy live locally first, then online, and then use the CDR thing as a last resort. Keep some water in the stream so it doesn't dry up.

It is my understanding that no, the artist does not get any royalties from the sale of discs through BMG. In fact, at least for the initial Buy 1, get 12 free type of deal, I believe these discs are considered "promotional" legally, and the artist is actually charged the promotion cost against future royalties, just as they would be for print or radio ads.

Never heard of stuff being "charged back" for free cds but artists usually get zippo from record club sales. This is covered by contracts they signed when they took money for the date. Some details might be challenged but most of it is up front some way or other. If an artist feels abused by the practice, the rewards are not worth the legal expense.

To support my favourite artist, I go to second hand stores, buy all their CDs I can find and then destroy them ;)

Seriously, I see no moral issues at all with the second hand market for CDs. It is a minor economic problem compared to CD-R copying or internet downloads.

Ideally, I would like to buy all my CDs from the artists themselves to ensure that they get a bigger part of the profit share.

But then, how will I support my favourite small jazz record store? :rolleyes:

Hmmmm. No economists here, eh?

When the original buyer purchases a CD, he/she obtains not only the physical CD, but also ownership rights enabling him/her to transfer ownership to another individual, with or without compensation. (This does not cover the ability to make copies or reproductions or derivatives from that orginal CD.)

Any acquirer obtains similar rights.

Consider this: What if the above were not true. What if any CD you purchased you either kept or discarded as worthless. Would you buy fewer CDs? An active secondary market helps artists, even if it does not generate direct, monetary compensation.

Hmmmm. No economists here, eh?

When the original buyer purchases a CD, he/she obtains not only the physical CD, but also ownership rights enabling him/her to transfer ownership to another individual, with or without compensation. (This does not cover the ability to make copies or reproductions or derivatives from that orginal CD.)

Any acquirer obtains similar rights.

Consider this: What if the above were not true. What if any CD you purchased you either kept or discarded as worthless. Would you buy fewer CDs? An active secondary market helps artists, even if it does not generate direct, monetary compensation.

Tell that to Garth Brooks!

:g