"Summit Meeting" (Vanguard), from 1976

Larry Kart

Quite interesting, lively, if somewhat frustrating album, with Clark Terry, James Moody, Bunky Green, Albert Dailey, guitarist Ronald Prince, bassist David Williams, Elvin Jones, and percussionist Angel Allende. The pluses are that Moody is in extremely intense, adventurous form (I haven't heard every bit of Moody from the '70s onwards, but I've never heard him play better), Terry is pretty darn serious too, Green has his "off the chord" system working about as well he ever would on record (at least to my knowledge), and Dailey (on electric piano) is amped up, no play on words intended. Drawbacks are that Green only gets two solos (on the album's five tracks), Elvin is down in the mix, Williams is closely miked and  too far up in the mix, and Prince, while not bad, gets too much solo space. Only about 39 minutes of music, too. Apparently not on CD; I found a used LP copy the other day. It would be nice if there were some unissued tracks; it seems nutty that this roster of players in generally top-drawer form should have left behind so little.

They were all under contract to Vanguard at the time. Most of those records are inconsistent in some form or fashion, but none should be passed over if found at a decent price.

The exception is Green's Places We've Never Been, which is pretty damn good, period.

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

The exception is Green's Places We've Never Been, which is pretty damn good, period.

seconded : it's some intense playing. it would be great if it came out on CD especially if there were some bonus tracks. This LP was the first I ordered online in this case from Dusty Groove and that was before I realised that a vinyl grade of VG- should be avoided. My copy has one long scratch on one side :huh:

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

They were all under contract to Vanguard at the time. Most of those records are inconsistent in some form or fashion, but none should be passed over if found at a decent price.

Have had that one for many years, It IS excellent.