KoKo (Bird)

JSngry

After 30 years, I STILL can't figure out what's up w/that melody. Sure, once you get through it, it's "Cherokee". But WTF is going on with that melody? It's ain't based on the blowing changes, and the rhythmic/melodic contour is more Ornette-y than Ornette. Bird was hearing something WAY different when he came up w/this one!

Does anybody have any insight on where that thing came from? To me, it's the ultimate in bebop esoterica and inscrutability, speaking from a purely musical standpoint. Go ahead. Sing/play it and tell me WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON THERE and how it relates even remotely to "Cherokee". Or anything else, for that matter.

And btw - I LOVE this head. Be Bop coming from a place like this is the HARDEST bop! ;)

Maybe. I don't know. My hunch would be no, though, just because, as convoluted as Diz could get rhythmically, his ideas were usually firmly rooted in harmonic patterns, and the head to "KoKo" doesn't REALLY give you any "easy" changes to put underneath it (I've heard a 70s Lionel Hampton big band arrangement where they use stacked fourths - if I recall it right - and clusters on it!). And, really, after that final "blee bleeeee bah doodle-oodle-oooooooh....ablee-bop......a-doodle-oodle-oooh-ba-debop", you by no means are obligated to go into "Cherokee" changes - you could start up on pertnear ANY tune. Or NO tune!

The existence of a piece like this sorta makes you wonder if there were other such pieces floating around amongst the deepest of the deep boppers - things that really weren't "songs", or even "tunes", just self-contained statements that could stand alone as "non-melodic melodies", if you know what I mean. Just because they never got recorded or talked about over the years doen't necessarily mean that one or two guys didn't have some "private" material like this. Probably not, but you never know...

It's Ornette before Ornette, I tell you!

Edited by JSngry

Hey, I can hear you telling me Ornette before Ornette and not back away. There's a lot to that.

I'm going to have to revisit some of the really late Bird because the last times I was listening to it I was hearing some Ornettish things a birthing. It could have just been me, but . . . I thought of Ornette.

Could it be based on an American Indian melody of some sort that Bird felt was appropriate to play before Cherokee?

Somebody must have thought to ask Dizzy Gillespie this question. No? Didn't you ever cross paths with Diz, Jim?

Edited by John L