AOTW Sept. 18-25 - Jerry Gonzalez "Rumba Para Monk

soulpope

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

It does, and that's part of the motivator for me to start the Chombo Silva thread. There was a guy who "got" the jazz vocabulary, but spoke it with an strong, intrinsic clave "accent", pretty awesome to me, that thing is, upsets me in ways I don't understand. :g

If you had been listening to and playing as much Cuban music as you have been listening to and playing jazz, you probably would. ;)

Been away for quite some time.  What a pleasant surprise to see a thread about one of my musical heroes!  Jerry expatriated to Spain many years ago and this recording is the latest in a series of fantastic recordings he's done while living there.  JG & Miguel Blanco Big Band - A Tribute To The Fort Apache Band.

A quick heads up to any Latin Jazz aficionado, the heir apparent to the 'amazing Latin Jazz playing brothers" label, previously held by Jerry and his brother Andy, would be the incredible Curtis Brothers; Luques (bass) & Zaccai (piano).  Besides playing as sidemen to too many modern day Jazz artists to list (chk out Wiki!), their 1st 2 records will appeal to anyone that enjoys Fort Apache:  Insight - A Genesis, & the Curtis Bros Quartet - Blood, Spirit, Land, Water, Freedom.  Truly fantastic musicians and music!

Thanks for the update - was aware of his move to Spain and his first outing with Los Piratas del Flamenco:

51j8FyaUb3L.jpg

... as well as the following two outings with El Comando de la Clave:

41BtQxrdyJL.jpg51DCDUNe0UL.jpg

A late friend gave me his first big band LP, which I can recommend for any Gonazlez aficionado, it made me think that the big band fits his style even better than the Fort Apache Band format; but I was not aware that this was an ongoing collaboration, will check it out. The first CD was issued twice:

511iGCVTasL.jpg514VJxtsxpL.jpg

.... and this is the new one:

71x16JvBCaL._SL1273_.jpg

Nice to see that the story continues.

Will check out your other recommendations, too.

Edited by mikeweil

5 hours ago, mikeweil said:

.... and this is the new one:

71x16JvBCaL._SL1273_.jpg

Nice to see that the story continues.

Will check out your other recommendations, too.

Heard this recording a couple of weeks ago .... as they cover here a couple of tunes Jerry Gonzalez initialy recorded with the Fort Apache band (or its predecessors) -actually tracks 1-6 (from 8 tracks) - there is plenty of room to compare the different approaches. To me none of the Big Band tracks is a match for their original "Fort Apache" version. Probably the best example is "Agüeybaná" . "The original version featured on "Ya Yo Me Cure" has to me the undiluted magic of Afro-Cuban music :

whereas the "Big Band" version (you can listen to it via the review attached)

http://latinjazznet.com/reviews/cds/album-of-the-week/jerry-gonzalez-miguel-blanco-tribute-to-fort-apache-band/

is more polished, missing the roughness and - most importantly - abandon which was always an important factor of the 80`s recordings.

But - as so often - obviously a matter of personal taste and no reason not to buy the Gonzalez/Blanco Big band recording .....

Edited by soulpope

Coincidentally, after posting here I went and bought some music at iTunes.  A record I picked up was master percussionist Little (pequeno) Johnny Rivero's new record; Music In Me.  As always, when I listen I look up the info about the recording online and lo and behold, the Curtis Bros. are playing bass & piano!  The record's a smoka!