Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

065179.jpg

It's the Mainstream sextet record with three additional cuts. I've had the original LP for seemingly forever, but had no idea about the extra cuts until today, and they're a treat.

Lanny Morgan in those days was thought of as a J-Mac clone, but listening today, he sounds to me more like Booker Ervin than anybody else. Interesting...I don't really care for him overall, but in these years, wow, that was an interesting choice for a white big-band altoist to make for a role model. An interesting choice indeed.

Otherwise, Mike Abene, Ron McClure, and Tony Inzalaco don't have any problems driving full speed straight ahead, and Maynard seems more than happy to let them do it. And Willie Maiden is Willie Maiden with every note he plays, which is all he needs to be.

a3717162852_10.jpg

Marker - Roadwork 1: New Orleans:  I went from Al Haig to this to likely close out the night.  This is Vandermark's exciting, young group.  With two guitars, violin or keyboard and Vandermark's assorted reeds, the group covers a lot of ground stylistically.

I picked up this limited-edition (of only 140) box the other day after catching Marker live.  It was on the verge of selling out, but it can still be obtained in download form through Catalytic Sound.  They were already performing material that Vandermark had just written the week before and will be returning to the studio today.  Vandermark doesn't gather any moss, that's for sure.  

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing the whole box set and checking out their future work.