What's This Lockjaw Album?

JSngry

Here's the entry from Lord

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis (ts) acc by Michel Attenoux Orchestra , : Patrick Artero (tp) Claude Gousset (tb) Michel Attenoux (as) Gabriel Garvanoff (p) Jean-Pierre Mulot (B) Teddy Martin (d)

Antibes, July 24, 1975

Splanky Mahogany (F)558104

Moonlight in Vermont -

Gee baby, ain't I good to you ? -

Flying home -

What am I here for ? -

What's new ? -

Midnite blues -

Lush life -

Shiny stockings -

Note: All above titles also on Storyville STCD5009 [CD].

Quoth AMG (Amazing Misinformation Guide):

Tenor great Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis teams up with altoist Michel Attenoux (whose sound looks toward Tab Smith and Johnny Hodges) and his French sextet for a hard-swinging set of standards. With fine solos also contributed by trumpeter Patrick Artero and trombonist Claude Gousset, Davis romps on such numbers as Neal Hefti's "Splanky," "Flying Home" and "Shiny Stockings." Excellent modern swing, released for the first time on this 1992 CD. — Scott Yanow

Or not...

Thanks, John! ;)

hey, THAT one was EASY!

what's up? lost your google skillz?

Hey, Google is where I found the image!

I just had never heard of the Mahogany label, and didn't realize that it had never been issued until the Storyville CD... :rolleyes:

Sooooo...let's go to Phase Two:

What's the story about the Mahogany label?

Mahogany was a French label that was based on the Riviera. Sort of similar to Black and Blue. They issued half a dozen LP albums in the mid-70s from musicians appearing at the jazz festivals along the Riviera. Then went out of business.

Couple interesting dates they produceded were a Vic Dickenson LP 'Gentleman of the Trombone' with Johnny Guarneri, Bill Pemberton and Oliver Jackson and an album entitled 'Jive at Five' with Doc Cheatham, Vic Dickenson, Buddy Tate, Guarneri, George Duvivier, and Oliver Jackson.

Couw, doubt very much the NY based Mahogany label had anything to do with the Riviera one.

Perhaps this is a good place to ask a question I've wondered about for some time. I've seen other european jazz recordings where the word "orchestra" was used to refer to a smaller group of musicians than I'm accustomed to thinking of as an "orchestra". In fact, I've probably seen the same thing occur on a few american recordings as well, but it seems more prevalent in europe. Is it a matter of language, or custom, or an "inside joke", or am I just confused, or...? :)

My dictionary doesn't give anything more specific than "a group of musicians playing together", but the typical usage would seem to be somewhat different in the U.S. as compared to (for example) France, yes? No?

AFAIK in French (and we're talink about French here) Orchestre means orchestra, but in a more common way may also refer to small groups, a chamber music ensemble for example, or a band. The word band is used in french, but it is an anglicism (AFAIK). Our native french speaking persons will certainly correct me.

over to the rest of Europe:

In Dutch, Orkest certainly means a large group, probably very similar if not identical to what you'd think about as an orchestra. In German, it's like in dutch. For a small group, there is the archaic word Kapelle, which in Dutch is actually only used for brass bands playing at carneval festivities and the like.

In Italian it seems to be that the word orchestre is again used for smaller groups.

Maybe it's a roman vs. german language thing?

Thanks John. I just remembered the thing that first made me start to wonder about this. Years ago, I heard about a rare 1954 (10") Rene Thomas LP (on Barclay, as I understand it) called RENE' THOMAS AND HIS ORCHESTRA. As far as I know, this was a quintet recording.

AFAIK in French (and we're talink about French here) Orchestre means orchestra, but in a more common way may also refer to small groups, a chamber music ensemble for example, or a band. The word band is used in french, but it is an anglicism (AFAIK). Our native french speaking persons will certainly correct me.

Exactement, Couw.

A five-piece band could be introduced either as 'Miles Davis et son quintette' or as 'Miles Davis et son orchestre'.