Melvin Sparks

Hardbopjazz

Melvin is not exactly known for his finesse. ;) Don't get me wrong I love his playing. But whenever I hear him play I imagine that he's wrestling with his guitar. I've never seen him live, but it seems like Hardbopjazz's comments might validate my imagination. Think I'll go put on some Melvin right now. I needed an excuse to listen to some Hank Crawford.

Hey, it's his instrument. I hope that with the price tag it has that guitar sounds fantastic and is a great playing instrument. And the fact that he is playing it, using it as his axe and putting it through its paces and not treating it like a museum piece is in my opinion a good thing. Aren't these things made to be played with gusto?

Hey, it's his instrument.  I hope that with the price tag it has that guitar sounds fantastic and is a great playing instrument.  And the fact that he is playing it, using it as his axe and putting it through its paces and not treating it like a museum piece is in my opinion a good thing.  Aren't these things made to be played with gusto?

Yeah, but he was banging it around like a pool table ball.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Hey, if it was YOUR guitar, I can see being upset. I worked with guitar players that polished their axe every four minutes and would drape themselves and the axe in velvet to protect the darned things if they could. They were NOT the great players I worked with. . . .

I love machines that work right and use the heck out of them. I try not to damage them, but I don't worry about dings and scratches. But that's just me.

Hey, it's his instrument.  I hope that with the price tag it has that guitar sounds fantastic and is a great playing instrument.  And the fact that he is playing it, using it as his axe and putting it through its paces and not treating it like a museum piece is in my opinion a good thing.  Aren't these things made to be played with gusto?

Yeah, but he was banging it around like pool table ball.

Melvin's from Houston. The pool hall thing is environmental. ;)

I know this, when you wan to buy a vintage guitar, if it looks like it is in mint condition the guitar probably doesn’t have a great sound. If it looks beat up, the ax sings and was played a lot, that's you want. I had a ES165 and it sucked. The guitar didn't play good at all. I was happy when I sold it. The super 400 Melvin was playing sounds real sweet.

Edited by Hardbopjazz