Proper Records Label

I have only recently become aware of this British reissue label. They have some very interesting looking box sets and prices that seem almost impossibly low. Has anyone purchased any of their releases? How do they compare to what Mosaic puts out. Thanks for any replies.

I have purchased a few of their sets and am pleased with their products. The sound is quite nice and the bookets very well researched. The boxes are much sturdier than the Mosaic Selects. Maybe not quite as classic as Mosaic but the price differential is considerable. Recently got the Wardell Grey and Dexter Gordon boxes and they are well done. Previously picked up a few anthology boxes, I forgot the titles, but they too are worthy of purchase.

Edited by Out2Lunch

They've put out some very good sets, especially Bebop Spoken Here and Coleman Hawkins, not to mention the Dexter Gordon set. I think the books are well written. They're a bit more than starter sets, as somebody has said.

The Bebop set has some things that others more knowledgeable than I said they hadn't seen anywhere on disc. This set served as an introduction to me to Sonny Berman, a great trumpeter from the mid 40s. The Hawkins set has a lot of Keynote material, which is very hard to find on disc.

You should know that these are master takes and there are no alternates and I don't believe these are remastered but they bring together some hard to find material. I'm especially interested in their recently issued or soon to be issued Johnny Hodges set.

Really recommend these. There has been some concern about ripping off Mosaic but I haven't really examined that issue too closely yet.

I agree, a great "little" label! I am into more creaky jazz, but last year cduniverse.com had just incredible prices for these sets! Had a couple of their compilation sets, so felt safe in grabbing a few that were around 17 bucks each.(Perhaps they just started carrying them around that time?) I had wanted to hear more Fats Navarro-Fats Navarro Story(the only box set on him I believe). Liked it and the very nice booklet, so over the next few months, I grabbed Sidney Bechet Story ,Gene Krupa Story , Woody Herman Story ,Stan Kenton Story, Billie Holiday :The Lady Sings, Anita O'Day : Young Anita, Jo Stafford :Yes Indeed! Charlie Ventura:

Bop For The People,(with the Pasadena concert from 1949) and Like I mentioned, they have a few really nice compilation sets, Engine Room(Drums) Doughboys, Playboys & Cowboys...Western Swing (very highly recommended, I or someone else needs to start a thread on Western Swing)Hittin' On All Six: History Of Jazz Guitar(Couldn't find it listed under Proper label on Cduniverse, their proper listings are a mess, try by titles, or click on every Proper heading if you search by label!) Cduniverse seems to have as good a price as deepdiscountcd.com has, which is a bit of a surprise.

Proper is also putting out 2 cd sets like..Tiny Bradshaw : Breakin' Up The House . I even got a cheap Sidney Bechet cd at Borders a few years back for 8-9 bucks, and few of the tracks are on the 4 cd set!

Sound is not quite up to Mosaic, but still pretty darn good. Like Brad mentioned, a Johnny Hodges set is coming out May 13th, along with a Mildred Bailey set, and a Milton Brown-all $16.79 since they are new....I don't think anything has been proven with ripping off Mosaic, fingers were pointed at one point, then someone remembered it was the Definitive label from Spain that seems to do that...Hope this Bailey set doesn't prove to be ripped off from Mosaic, cuz I really like this label!

Proper can now feel free to send me the sets I didn't mention(Or Own) for this glowing review! ;)

No, I'm still congested. :unsure: No malice meant; just thought you would have all this stuff, and not be interested.

The Milton Brown and the Verboten Musik sets look interesting to me. . . have very little of that material. BUT I have so much stuff to listen to that I'm in no hurry right now!

No, I'm still congested. :unsure: No malice meant; just thought you would have all this stuff, and not be interested.

Me too, I have been listening to and collecting Jazz for about 50 years. When I started thoughts of sets like the Proper boxes would have been better than a Maiden saying yes.. When Mosaic started I thought I had found nirvana ( not the bill evans place, but it'll do too). This was music I wanted, presented the way I wanted it.

Then when the likes of Chronological Classics started up.. I invested heavily in them.. so most of the music by the major musicians, to be found in the Proper boxes I already have. If I hadn't I would buy them up, because I think they're extremely good value for the money. I'm actually a little dissapointed that I don't need them. I would have been hard pressed to consider the Mosaic Berigan if it had been his RCA sides as a leader, as I have most of the music already, but collecting his pre RCA recordings, many as a sideman is right up my alley, I might have quite a bit, but not collected together like it will be. Maybe Proper will come out with a box on some musician that appeals in the same way

But if you don't have this music ( and at present I can only guess what is in the Hodges) it's got to be high on anyones list, you should check out the Wardell Gray too.. that material has not been collected together( outside the Masters of Jazz sets.. which I bought). It's a real good buy.

...But if you don't have this music ( and at present I can only guess what is in the Hodges) it's got to be high on anyones list, you should check out the Wardell Gray too.. that material has not been collected together( outside the Masters of Jazz sets.. which I bought). It's a real good buy.

PD, I keep forgetting the Wardell Gray, but will get that one soon! You mention wishing you could grab some of their sets, but you have most of the tracks...The Guitar, drum, Western Swing sets, have some obscure tracks/artists...

Since I cannot post a link for the tracks on the Hodges,(Popup window for some reason!) I will just paste everything so you guys can figure if you have it all or not...their web addy looks a little different, like what it should have been all along! http://www.propermusic.com/

DISC ONE

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra : Cootie Williams, tp; Barney Bigard, cl; Johnny Hodges, ss, as; Otto Hardwick, as; Harry Carney, bs; Duke Ellington, p; Fred Guy, g; Hayes Alvis, b; Sonny Greer, d; Buddy Clark, voc (-1)

New York, May 20, 1937

21186-1 FOOLIN’ MYSELF (-1) Variety 576

21187-1 A SAILBOAT IN THE MOONLIGHT (-1) Variety 586

21188-2 YOU’LL NEVER GO TO HEAVEN (-1) Variety 576

21189-2 PECKIN’ Raretone RTE 23005

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra : Cootie Williams, tp; Lawrence Brown, tb; Johnny Hodges, ss, as; Otto Hardwick, as; Harry Carney, bs; Duke Ellington, p; Fred Guy, g; Billy Taylor, b; Sonny Greer, d; Mary McHugh, voc.

New York, January 19, 1938

M 727-2 MY DAY Vocalion 3948

M 728-1 SILVERY MOON AND GOLDEN SANDS Vocalion 3948

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra: Cootie Williams, tp; Johnny Hodges, ss, as; Lawrence Brown, tb; Harry Carney, bs; Duke Ellington, p; Billy Taylor, b, Sonny Greer, d; Mary McHugh, voc (-1)

New York, March 28, 1938

M 793-1 JEEP’S BLUES Vocalion/Okeh 4115

M 794-1 IF YOU WERE IN MY PLACE (WHAT WOULD YOU DO?)(-1) Vocalion 4046

M 795-1 I LET A SONG GO OUT OF MY HEART (-1) Vocalion 4046

M 796-2 RENDEZVOUS WITH RHYTHM Vocalion/Okeh 4115

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra: Same personnel as above

New York, June 22, 1938

M 852-2 YOU WALKED OUT OF THE PICTURE (-1) Vocalion 4213

M 853-1 PYRAMID Vocalion/Okeh 4242

M 854-1 EMPTY BALLROOM BLUES Vocalion 4213

M 855-2 LOST IN MEDITATION Vocalion 4242

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra : Same personnel as above, but Leon La Fell, voc, (-1), replaces Mary McHugh

New York, August 1, 1938

M 872-2 A BLUES SERENADE (-1) Vocalion 4309

M 873-1 LOVE IN SWINGTIME (-1) Vocalion 4335

M 874-1 SWINGING IN THE DELL Vocalion 4335

M 875-1 JITTERBUG’S LULLABY Vocalion 4309

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra : Cootie Williams, tp, Lawrence Brown, tb; Johnny Hodges, ss, as; Harry Carney, bs; Duke Ellington, p; Billy Taylor, b; Sonny Greer, d; Mary McHugh, voc (-1)

New York, August 24, 1938

M 887-1 PRELUDE TO A KISS (-1) Vocalion/Okeh 4386

M 888-1 THERE’S SOMETHING ABOUT AN OLD LOVE (-1) Vocalion 4351

M 889-1 THE JEEP IS JUMPIN’ Vocalion/Okeh 4386

M 890-1 KRUM ELBOW BLUES Vocalion 4351

M 950-2 I’M IN ANOTHER WORLD Vocalion 4622

M 951-1 HODGE PODGE Vocalion 4573

M 952-1 DANCING ON THE STARS Vocalion 4622

DISC TWO

New York, December 19, 1938

M 953-1 WANDERLUST Vocalion 4573

Same personnel as "Wanderlust" but add Jean Eldridge, voc (-1)

New York, February 27, 1939

M 974-1 LIKE A SHIP IN THE NIGHT (-1) Vocalion 4710

M 975-1 MISSISSIPPI DREAMBOAT(-1) Vocalion 4849

M 976-1 SWINGIN’ ON THE CAMPUS Vocalion 4710

M 977-1 DOOJI WOOJI Vocalion 4849

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra: Same personnel as above, but Jean Eldridge, out.

New York, March 21, 1939

WM-1001-1 SAVOY STRUT Vocalion/Okeh 5170

WM-1002-1 RENT PARTY BLUES Vocalion/Okeh 5100

WM -1004-1 GOOD GAL BLUES Vocalion/Okeh 5170

Johnny Hodges, ss, as; Duke Ellington, p; Billy Taylor, b.

New York, March 21, 1939

WM-1005-1 FINESSE (NIGHT WIND) Columbia CL 663

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra : Cootie Williams, tp; Lawrence Brown, tb; Johnny Hodges, ss, as; Harry Carney, bs; Duke Ellington, p; arr; Billy Taylor, b; Sonny Greer, d.

New York, June 2, 1939

WM -1029-A HOME TOWN BLUES Vocalion/Okeh 4941

New York, September 1, 1939

WM-1075-A DREAM BLUES Vocalion/Okeh 5353

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra: Same personnel

as above, but Jimmy Blanton, b replaces Taylor,

Billy Strayhorn, p, replaces Ellington (-1)

New York, October 14, 1939

WM-1096-A SKUNK HOLLOW BLUES (-1) Vocalion/Okeh 5532

WM-1097-A I KNOW WHAT YOU DO Vocalion/Okeh 5352

WM-1098-A YOUR LOVE HAS FADED Okeh 5940

WM-1099-A TIRED SOCKS (-1) Vocalion/Okeh 5533

Chicago, November 2, 1940

053603-1 DAY DREAM Bluebird B 11021

053604-1 GOOD QUEEN BESS Bluebird B 11117

053605-1 THAT’S THE BLUES, OLD MAN Bluebird B 11117

053606-1 JUNIOR HOP Bluebird B 11021

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra: Same personnel as above, but Ray Nance, tp, replaces Williams.

Holywood, July 3, 1941

061346-1 SQUATTY ROO Bluebird B 11447

061347-1 PASSION FLOWER (Arr. Billy Strayhorn) Bluebird B 30-0817

061348-1 THINGS AIN’T WHAT THEY USED TO BE Bluebird B 11447

061349-1 GOIN’ OUT THE BACK WAY Bluebird B 30-0817

Johnny Hodges Trio : Johnny Hodges, as; Jimmy Jones, p; Billy Taylor, b.

New York, 1947

134 YOU’RE DRIVING ME CRAZY Wax 114

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra: Taft Jordan, tp; Lawrence Brown, tb; Johnny Hodges, as; Al Sears, ts; Billy Strayhorn, p; Oscar Pettiford, b; Wilbur De Paris, d.

New York, June 1947

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra : Same personnel and date as "June’s Jumpin’"

New York, June 1947

M 1013 WHO STRUCK JOHN? Mercer LP 1000

DISC THREE

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra : Same personnel and date as "June’s Jumpin’"

New York, June 1947

M 1014 IT SHOULDN’T HAPPEN TO A DREAM Mercer LP 1000

M 1015 JUNE’S JUMPIN’ Mercer LP 1000

M 1016 VIOLET BLUE Mercer LP 1000

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra: Same personnel as above.

New York, late 1947

SR 1009 A FLOWER IS A LOVESOME THING Sunrise 2005

SR 1010 FRISKY Sunrise 2006

SR 1011 LONGHORN BLUES Sunrise 2005

SR 1012 FAR AWAY BLUES Sunrise 2006

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra: Harold "Shorty" Baker, tp; Johnny Hodges, as; Al Sears, ts; Harry Carney, bs; Billy Strayhorn, p; Oscar Pettiford, b; Sonny Greer, d.

New York, late 1947

M 2032 SEARSY’S BLUES Mercer LP 1000

M 2033 A LITTLE TASTE Mercer LP 1000

M 2034 LET THE ZOOMERS DROOL Mercer LP 1000

M 2035 CHAROTTE RUSSE (LOTUS BLOSSOM) Mercer LP 1000

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra: Harold "Shorty" Baker, tp; Quentin Jackson, tb; Jimmy Hamilton, cl; Johnny Hodges, as; Don Byas, ts; Raymond Fol, p; Wendell Marshall, b; Sonny Greer, d.

Paris, April 15, 1950

V 3054 JUMP THAT’S ALL Vogue V 5037

V 3055 LAST LEGS BLUES, PT.1 Vogue V 5030

V 3056 LAST LEGS BLUES, PT.2 Vogue V 5030

V 3057 NIX IT, MIX IT Vogue V 5033

V 3058 TIME ON MY HANDS Vogue V 5033

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra: Same personel as above, but Don Byas, out; Butch Ballard, d. replaces Greer.

Paris, April 20, 1950

V 3066 RUN-ABOUT Vogue V 5035

V 3067 WISHING AND WAITING Vogue V 5034

V 3068 GET THAT GEET Vogue V 5034

V 3069 THAT’S GRAND Vogue V 5037

V 3070 SKIP IT Vogue V 5034

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra: Harold "Shorty" Baker, tp; Quentin Jackson, tb; Johnny Hodges, as; Raymond Fol, p; Wendell Marshall, b; Butch Ballard, d.

Paris, June 20, 1950

V 4015 PERDIDO Vogue V 5056

V 4016 IN THE SHADE OF THE OLD APPLE TREE Vogue V 5056

V 4017 MOOD INDIGO Vogue V 5058

DISC FOUR

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra : Harold "Shorty" Baker, tp; Quentin Jackson, tb; Johnny Hodges, as; Raymond Fol, p; Wendell Marshall, b; Butch Ballard, d.

Paris, June 20, 1950

V 4018 SWEET LORRAINE Vogue V 5057

V 4019 BEAN BAG BOOGIE Vogue V 5058

V 4020 HOP, SKIP AND JUMP Vogue V 5057

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra : Nelson Williams, tp; Lawrence Brown, tb; Johnny Hodges, as; Al Sears, ts; Leroy Lovett, p; Al McKibbon, b; Sonny Greer, d; Billy Srayhorn, arr.

New York, January 15, 1951

C-477-2 RABBIT’S BLUES Clef MGC 111

C-478-3 SOMETHING TO PAT YOUR FOOT TO Norgran MGN 1048

C-479-1 BLUE FANTASIA Clef MGC 111

C-480-2 MY REWARD Norgran MGN 1048

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra : Emmett Berry, tp; Lawrence Brown, tb; Johnny Hodges, as; Al Sears, ts; Leroy Lovett, p; Lloyd Trotman, b; Sonny Greer, d.

New York, February 28, 1951

511-7 GOOD QUEEN BESS Norgran MGN 1004

512-3 JEEP’S BLUES Norgran MGN 1048

513-3 SOLITUDE Norgran MGN 1004

514-1 THE JEEP IS JUMPIN’ Norgran MGN 1048

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra : Emmett Berry, tp; Lawrence Brown, tb; Johnny Hodges, as; Al Sears, ts; Leroy Lovett, p; Billy Strayhorn, p (-1) Lloyd Trotman, b; Sonny Greer, d;

New York, March 3, 1951

515-3 CASTLE ROCK Clef MGC 111

516-5 SOPHISTICATED LADY Norgran MGN 1004

517-3 GLOBE TROTTER (-1) Clef MGC 111

518-2 A GENTLE BREEZE Clef 8954

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra: Same personnel as above, but Joe Marshall, d; replaces Greer.

New York, January 13, 1952

656-3 SIDEWAYS Clef MGC 111

657-7 A POUND OF BLUES Clef MGC 111

658-3 WHAM Norgran MGN 1048

659-3 WHO’S EXCITED Clef MGC 111

New York, January 17, 1952

660-2 SWEEPING THE BLUES AWAY Clef MGC 111

661-2 DAY DREAM Norgran MGN 1004

662-1 STANDING ROOM ONLY Norgran MGN 1059

663-4 BELOW THE AZORES Clef MGC 128

Edited by BERIGAN

As Lon ( Jazzbo) says this is a good.. no great set of Hodges... it will probably put you into a mood to have it all though...Hodges small group music is always of a high quality. You even get his "hit" Castle Rock :g ...

Hodges doesn't solo on it, its basically a 3 min feature for Al Sears R&B influenced tenor. The rarest track is probably the Trio on Wax.. but this was recently available on the Storyville label ( The Wax Sessions) along with the other three tracks recorded that day.. and it takes you into the Clef / Verve era covered by the first now OOP Mosaic box ( don't know too many places where that is still available, unless the Blue Moons are still in print.....)

and thats the point... the music may give you the bug to seek out what you don't have.. and the Proper box will be redundant then... however at these prices who cares?????

I have bought Proper boxes BTW.. The early Shearing, the Machito ( even though I had the "Jazzier" parts) and the Wynonie Harris ( just about as much of him as I wanted).. all have been good value in music content and presentation... probably as good or better than, Mosaic Selects.

Edited by P.D.

I just did a quick check of the Blue Moon stuff. I have the Complete 1941-1954 Small Group Session which kicks of with the Hollywood, July 3, 1941 session. That means that the entire first disc and most of the second of the Proper set doesn't overlap with the Blue Moon material that I have.

There were two Blue Moon sets

1 was the small groups 1937 - 1940 two CDS 51 tracks in all

2 was the small groups 1941 -1954 5CDs total..Below the Azores is rhe last track on vol 3 of these thats 60 tracks between Sqatty Roo of july 3 1941 to Azores of jan 17 1952. Proper most likely stopped there because of the copyright laws.. I haven't checked the above list to see if it, the proper is as complete as the Blue Moon.. also perhaps the Proper includes Hodges in small group settings under other Ellingtonians in the early sets????

The last two discs take the band up to the Ballad medley ending in Poor Butterfly of Aug1954.. all the tracks on these were in the Mosaic LP only box

There were a couple more sessions from Sept 7 & 8 recorded for Verve which were in the Mosaic box but do not appear on the Blue Moons.. this might be the only place they were most recently available.

As a point of interest, there were 4 tracks cut under Hodges name, with the complete Ellington Orchestra but with Strayhorn on piano, from Jan 12 1956. These should have been included in the second Mosaic( except it was called "small groups" ). They followed the first session in the Mosaic , with which they made up the album Ellingtonia 56. Unless that album is reissued these tracks may lie in the vaults until 56, is beneath the 50 year copyright. If Proper do a box then I'll buy it in spite of having all the other material that , that box would contain.

Elingtonia 56 was one of my first Hodges albums, those four tracks still are up there with my favourites.

Added

re checking the list, the Proper only includes sets under Hodges name

There are two sessions on the Blue Moon not included

April 14 1947

St Germain

Good to the Last Drop

Only Wish I Knew

We Fooled you

these were originally recorded under Shorty Bakers leadership, but released later with Hodges as the leader

and

Jun 1 1950

In a Mellow Mood

How I wish I were around

I met a Guy

Tea for Two

recorded in Copenhagen, possibly left out of the Proper for space reasons and because the first three tracks feature vocals by a Chubby King(?)

Also in the earlier dates, unless Berigan missed them, there are 6 more tracks

Jun 2 39

Kitchen Mechanics day

My heart Jumped over the Moon

You can count on me all from the same date as Hometown Blues

and

The Rabbits Jump

Moon Romance

Truly Wonderful

from the Dream Blues session of Sep 1 1939

So if you want it all you need the 7 Blue Moons, but for the price of the Proper box, you could only afford about 2 of them

Edited by P.D.

Has anybody checked out the 2-CD Proper releases?  I just got a couple more today; you get two well-stocked CD's for the price of one normal CD.  A midprice CD at that!  Better for storage than the boxes, too.  I'll definately be looking for more.

Simple Question... Have you read the Thread... Sorry someone did that to me on a BB.. never went back.. don't want to chase you away... but Hell read what is above your post.. both pages :g

Edited by P.D.

I love the Proper Boxes - a great way to explore unfamiliar areas.

But they do make mistakes.

The two I've noticed:

The Bud Powell set - one of the Sarah Vaughan tracks has the needle jump back into the last few seconds. A Proper error or part of the original transfer?

The Lionel Hampton set - the 'Sweethearts on Parade' is actually Louis Armstrong!

I recall reading the Ellington set has one track mis-titled.

A minor irritation. Anyone spotted any others?

I'd recommend 'Hitting on All Six' as a great way to hear some early jazz guitar.

Has anybody checked out the 2-CD Proper releases?  I just got a couple more today; you get two well-stocked CD's for the price of one normal CD.  A midprice CD at that!  Better for storage than the boxes, too.  I'll definately be looking for more.

Simple Question... Have you read the Thread... Sorry someone did that to me on a BB.. never went back.. don't want to chase you away... but Hell read what is above your post.. both pages :g

Gee, thought I did read it... All seemed to be about the 4-CD boxes. Must have missed something.

BTW, I have the Nat King Cole box, "Cool Cole." It's a good starter set. The sound is not the best, but considering the price, acceptable.

Gee, thought I did read it... All seemed to be about the 4-CD boxes. Must have missed something.

BTW, I have the Nat King Cole box, "Cool Cole." It's a good starter set. The sound is not the best, but considering the price, acceptable.

I mentioned them, but don't have any...if anyone thought the Bechet was a 2 cd set i got for 8-9 bucks, it was a single cd set that I have along with the 4 cd set...my wording could have been better... a couple of proper pairs I would like to get someday are Merle Travis, Lucky Millinder , Tiny Bradshaw, Kay Starr....too bad they never seem to be in stores...has anyone seen any proper cds in stores that were not single cds????