Proper Records Label

[quote=Br

too bad they never seem to be in stores...has anyone seen any proper cds in stores that were not single cds????

Around here the Proper boxes are quite visible, one of the local stores Silver Platters( with three stores) always seems to have them on display, as soon as they are annouced.

Heven't seen any "pairs" but haven't really looked

The Propers always seem to be on ebay at reasonable prices. Regarding internet sellers, cd universe seem to have good prices. The new Johnny Hodges is listed as $16.79. Would be hard to beat that.

Edited by Brad

Any comments on Sidney Bechet 4CD Proper set?

I´ve just ordered it

Thanks in advance

MY Copy was getting dusty, so glad you asked so I had an excuse to bring it out! First 10 tracks are pre mike, so be prepared! They sounded pretty damn old on my big speakers, but on the computer speakers, not bad at all. Then you get to the classic Victor sides from 1932! Super hot! Just like thrash metal, not the kind of music to have on in a traffic jam, or if there is no traffic at all ahead of you! :rolleyes:

Disc one ends with 2 very good songs IMO called Blackstick, and Southern Sunset . Southern Sunset in particular is just plain beautiful!

Well, that's all I have time to listen to today, but disc two has Noble Sissle, and Tommy Ladiner tracks, disc 3 has one of his one man band tracks, Sheik of Araby(forget what the other track was, don't think it is on this set)where he plays Cl, SS, TS, P, B, and D! Multi Track recording of a sort...Some great Commodore, Blue Note tracks on disc 4...and the great mini book booklet, in other words, you will get your 20 bucks worth with this set! B)

Edited by BERIGAN

The two cd sets seem fine on the evidence of the one I have, Young Mulligan. I had most of the material on vinyl and it this was a cheap way to get a good selection on cd. They are priced around £8.50 in the UK, come with a slipcase and a small booklet.

• 3 weeks later...

i was thinking about getting a Getz boxset for the stuff he did with horace silver. i've no CD's by Getz. which out of The Complete Roost Recordings boxset or Proper boxset do folk think is the one to go for. like i said i'm mainly interested in this for horace silver. thanks