From the grapewine - Amoeba phasing out

Dmitry

There's only one way to find out. B)

If you see Far Away Lands, please consider me..

I hope they're just moving jazz to to smaller quarters. That store was great.

Here're [and I hope they don't mind me posting their faces ;) ] O.Bivins[l], moi [c] and Cali[r] in Amoeba LA last summer.

obivins-cali-dmitry.jpg

Edited by Dmitry

I asked them. They say they're just moving the jazz to the main room, and turning the jazz/classical room into a DVD/video room. Jazz will still be there. Time will tell if their jazz section will still be as good as it used to be. Dmitry, did you check out all the unused RVG's they're selling for >$10? It's a jazz newbie's dream.

There's only one way to find out. B)

If you see Far Away Lands, please consider me..

I hope they're just moving jazz to to smaller quarters. That store was great.

Here're [and I hope they don't mind me posting their faces ;) ] O.Bivins[l], moi [c] and Cali[r] in Amoeba LA last summer.

obivins-cali-dmitry.jpg

Great pic, Dmitry! Hey, what happened to Cali? He hasn't posted here since late November... and is O. Bivins here under another name? I remember him from the BNBB.

I asked them. They say they're just moving the jazz to the main room, and turning the jazz/classical room into a DVD/video room. Jazz will still be there. Time will tell if their jazz section will still be as good as it used to be.

I sort of figured that might be what they're doing. I would have been shocked (SHOCKED) if they had eliminated the section. It's too bad it's not in it's own room with it's own music anymore, but if you ever looked in their DVD section, it was obvious that something had to be done there.

Anyway......I feel MUCH better now. ^_^

Great pic, Dmitry!  Hey, what happened to Cali?  He hasn't posted here since late November... and is O. Bivins here under another name?  I remember him from the BNBB.

GoM, Cali's been pretty busy with his work, I think.

When I was in LA last summe,r Cali and I met O. Bivins in Amoeba by sheer accident, we just happened to be in the Jazz section at the same time.

O.Bivins is a contributor to AllAboutJazz LA, I think I saw him post on that conference some while ago..

I'm hugely relieved that jazz still lives in Amoeba. :tup

Edited by Dmitry

No jazz section now, just a jazz rack.

I hear that similar downsizing is happening in Berkley and LA.

Booooooo!!

This is horrible. Amoeba was a GREAT store. It was the only reason I would ever go to L.A. But why would I fight all the traffic and the smog and the gangsta kiddies for one little jazz rack?

I wouldn't. We have used CD stores here in San Diego too. I'll buy my jazz at Lou's instead.

No jazz section now, just a jazz rack.

I hear that similar downsizing is happening in Berkley and LA.

Booooooo!!

This is horrible. Amoeba was a GREAT store. It was the only reason I would ever go to L.A. But why would I fight all the traffic and the smog and the gangsta kiddies for one little jazz rack?

I wouldn't. We have used CD stores here in San Diego too. I'll buy my jazz at Lou's instead.

Just a rumor. It sounds like they're just doing some re-organizing of space.

Ack! Glad the news isn't fatal. Dima, I make it out to the Sunset Blvd. store 4 or 5 times a year. In fact, that's where I picked up my copy of FAR AWAY LANDS (poke, nudge).

Their classical section is already pitifully small. Any word that they'll be expanding their experimental section from its current 2 racks?

• 3 weeks later...

Just went to the Haight store today.

What they did was flip-flop the DVD and jazz/classical sections. They also have soundtrack CDs in the DVD room.

It might be my imagination, but it almost seems that they have more used jazz CDs out than they had before. There used to be a lot of "under-stock" in the old area that I never bothered to look through. The only drawback now is that it's noisier because it's out on the main floor.

The DVDs are certainly better organized now.

My last time in Amoeba (a week or two ago) in Hollywood, there had been no change in the jazz. When they opened the store, the created a separate jazz/classical/blues room in the back, and the 2nd floor is DVDs/videos/soundtracks. Aside from a slight expansion of jazz & blues DVDs in the jazz room, nothing else seemed different.

Good picture of Ollie. I've run into him at Amoeba as well. :)