Bobby Shew

Free For All

I did a jazz festival last weekend and got to play with Bobby. I've known him for quite a while and can say he's a wonderful person as well as a MF of a player. I asked him to play on my own CD some time ago, and when it came time to pay him he wouldn't accept ANY money.

Bobby wears multiple musical hats- he can do the spectacular high-note thing very well, but his heart seems to really be in being a jazz player. It's obvious upon hearing him play that his main cats are Blue Mitchell and Clifford. He's the first one to acknowledge the high notes as what "pay the rent"- I respect that. The audience almost always responds to the "amazing feats" more than the "tasty jazz solo"- that's often frustrating, and Bobby's the first one to recognize that.

One thing Bobby always has in his posession is great charts- he commissions things all the time from obscure writers that he thinks deserve wider recognition.

He's been a "guru" to many musicians over the years, and always spends time with the young students. Some more famous players don't do that.

Check out the CD with Tom Harrell called "Playing With Fire" or the CD he did with Carl Fontana called "Heavyweights" and tell me this cat can't play. And on top of that, he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Kind of an under-appreciated player, IMHO.

Have to agree with your positive sentiments, FFA. It's been quite a while since I've heard Bobby live, but years ago he dropped down to San Diego on a regular basis. On those occasions when we spoke he was always extremely personable and willing to talk about the music and "the business." It would sure be nice to hear him again soon.