The Thing w/ Joe McPhee in Texas

The Thing from Norway, Sweden and the US will be making their first tour of the US. They will perform at the ACME festival in Athens GA and continue on to Texas for the remainder of the tour.

From Sweden and Norway, The Thing represents the most visceral and expressive extreme of "free jazz". The Thing are Europe's most intense young jazz musicians, yet they refer to themselves as a "garage band". When they put their energy together and perform, the collective force is overwhelming. They play with the power of a rock band, but without amplifiers. The group's repertoire reflects the diversity of their influences. Pieces by jazz legends Don Cherry and James Blood Ulmer are played alongside covers of PJ Harvey and The White Stripes. Their 2 recent releases on Crazy Wisdom/Universal have sold out. They will be touring in support of a forthcoming release on the Norwegian label Small Town Supersounds.

The Thing are joined by living legend Joe McPhee. The American multi-instrumentalist is a veteran of the 60's New York "Fire Music" that is at the heart of The Thing. In his lyrical and soulful playing lies the true cry of the blues. McPhee is one of the most in-demand artists in Jazz and an authentic and vital messenger of its radical avant-garde.

to hear samples of their music log on to:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazz/jon3/jon3...16fsatoko.shtml

http://www.alphamusic-shop.com/5430354.html

*Joe McPhee (New York City) - Saxophones and Trumpet

*Mats Gustafsson (Sweden) - Saxophones

*Paal Nilssen-Love (Norway) - Drums

*Ingebrigt Håker Flaten (Norway) - Bass

Texas Tour Dates

Friday April 9 8pm

Austin Texas

presented by Epistrophy Arts

Auditorium on Waller Creek (4100 Red River)

for info and tickets call 512-302-5233 or email epistrophyarts@hotmail.com

Saturday April 10 8pm

Houston Texas

Barnevelder Movement/Arts Complex

2201 Preston Street

for more info

dovedavedove@yahoo.com

http://www.pofinc.org/houston/

Sunday April 11

The Thing in San Antonio at the Art Lodge

email sanford@texas.net for info

Any chance they might cross the Sabine on that tour?

Unfortunately not. Mats is on a tight schedule and needs to return to Sweden shortly after the Brotzmann Tentet tour. We are very lucky to have the opportunity to host their first US tour here in Texas. We have been trying to get the Thing here for the last 2 years.

I am going to try to make it to all 3 concerts, I'll post a review on this forum.

I have heard a radio broadcast of this group (with McPhee) from 2002 in Berlin. Very exciting music. Really smacks you in the mouth.

heard those excerpts, too! Great stuff! Also just bought the Gustafsson CD titled "The Thing", as well as the CD they made as "The Thing" with McPhee, "She Knows..." (both on Crazy Wisdom).

Great stuff!

I hope he'll be close to me one day, with or without McPhee!

Please do post a review of the concerts!

ubu

Unfortunately not. Mats is on a tight schedule and needs to return to Sweden shortly after the Brotzmann Tentet tour. We are very lucky to have the opportunity to host their first US tour here in Texas. We have been trying to get the Thing here for the last 2 years.

I am going to try to make it to all 3 concerts, I'll post a review on this forum.

Actually, the Tentet is making it here to N.O. on April 6 (CAC if you're interested). That's why I wondered if this collective might be wandering this way, too.

Actually, the Tentet is making it here to N.O. on April 6 (CAC if you're interested). That's why I wondered if this collective might be wandering this way, too.

I'll be at the CAC. I was at the Shepp/Rudd show and the space is very nice.

Sonny Fortune is playing this week at Snug. Spring is turning out to be quite nice!

I'll be at the CAC. I was at the Shepp/Rudd show and the space is very nice.

Sonny Fortune is playing this week at Snug. Spring is turning out to be quite nice!

I like that space, too, though I hear it gets mixed reviews from some of the performers. I had tickets for Shepp/Rudd but missed it due to a bout with some bad oysters I ate Thursday night. I'm still getting over both misfortunes.

FYI, we're working on a campus event with a couple of guys from the Tentet for the day of the 6th. Let me know if you'd like more details - PM me your email or something.

Holy shit!! I ate mine at Bozo's on Friday night. I went there on an invite. I really don't like that place too much. Their catfish plate was the size of a kid's plate. It is really not worth the wait if you go when it's crowded and on top of all that, I hate going to Metairie.

Edited by shrugs