Francesco Cafiso

jamn

This is my first post in the Organissimo forums. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on this kid from Italy. Hearing him play makes reincarnation seem to be a very plausible concept. (Did someone say Bird?) I heard him several times at the IAJE convention in NYC recently and have been spreading the word ever since. You can download some mp3's and a video of Francesco and Wynton Marsalis at his website: Francesco Cafiso Check it out. Cheers.

• 2 years later...

This guy (kid?) has been getting a lot of airplay recently on XM (XM's programming, for better or worse, is slanted toward the Lincoln Center crowd). People throw around the 'next Bird' hype, which isn't really doing him any favors. Has anybody heard his CD or caught him live?

Cafiso

Guest youmustbe

The South Korean grocer on my corner has a 10 year old daughter that plays tenor sax who I swear will be the next Coltrane! I'm trying to get the tape to Wynton, but I understand he's busy with his Oil company investment portfolio at the moment.

... I'm trying to get the tape to Wynton, but I understand he's busy with his Oil company investment portfolio at the moment.

Or this

I know a lot of great, deserving jazz musicians that could use that money!

In 2003, he persuaded representatives from Wynton Marsalis Enterprises, whom he had met at a social gathering, to invest in his venture.
Does that mean Grouch got burned too?

I heard (reviewed) the Petrucciani tribute album. Sounded like a 13-year-old with a lot of Bird under his fingers, but not a lot of taste or experience, & the approach was all wrong for Petrucciani's tunes.

the 'experience' factor is critical in jazz. It's possible to be a teen sensation in popular music, but in jazz? I know that sounds elitist, but even Pops was in his mid 20s before dealing the Hot 5s and 7s.

Patience, Cafiso.

• 7 months later...