2 Ornette questions

sal

1. I've been eying "New York is Now!" and am really intrigued by that lineup. But I've heard from many that there's something about this album that doesn't quite work well. What are your opinions on this album? Should I pick it up?

2. Where should I start with Prime Time?

!. There's nothing wrong with this album. Buy it together w/LOVE CALL and get your groove on.

2. VIRGIN BEAUTY is perhaps the most accessable, but DANCING IN YOUR HEAD is the archetype, and TONE DIALING is a (possible) blueprint for the 21st century, so take your pick.

Jim is basically right on all counts. (OK, when is he not right on anything like this?? ^_^ )

'New York is Now!' and 'Love Call' are da bomb!! Get one, then get the other one!!! (Doesn't matter which one you get first - they might as well be a 2 CD set.)

'Virgin Beauty' might be the most accessable (which Jim's right about), but it's maybe not the strongest Prime Time ever (though still good).

Actually, maybe the best place to start with Prime Time is In All Languages. The disc is like 74 minutes long, and half is the original Ornette quartet playing 10 tunes, followed by Prime Time playing the same 10 tunes - only electric. Yeah, you only get half a CD of Prime Time, but man - it'll sure hook you into Ornette's concepts. (Yeah, it's out of print, but probably not all that tough to find - there's one on half.com for $7.50 right now, "like new", and probably elsewhere too. Note: the disc is called 'In All Languages', not just "Languages" - which is the title of an Ornette bootleg from 1968.)

Also, 'Tone Dialing' is amazing. :tup:tup:tup Can't wait for the next time Ornette does an electric album. Did I say it was amazing?? Cuz it is!!

Oh, and 'Dancing in Your Head' is just as amazing. 'Body Meta' is pretty darn good too.

Whatever you do -- let us know what you get, and what you think of it!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

'Virgin Beauty' might be the most accessable (which Jim's right about), but it's maybe not the strongest Prime Time ever (though still good).

Which is exactly why it's the most accessable! :g:g:g

I think what I was politely trying to get at was that Virgin Beauty isn't exactly one of my favorite Ornette CD's (to put it mildly) - and this is coming from someone who really loves upwards of 75% of Ornette's output over the years. It's good, but not great.