Right now, who offers the best price on imports?

Hardbopjazz

You might want to try Dusty Groove.  It's hit or miss whether they'll carry the item you want, but when they have it their prices are very good.

Dusty Groove's prices are much higher than Hiroshi's. Unless direct import from Japan is not an option, Hiroshi would be the best choice in my opinion. Here's his website. He can supply every jazz LP and CD that's currently available in Japan, though it might not be listed on his site.

Edited by J.A.W.

Guest Chaney

I've been wondering about this for ages: Is it possible for me to ask Mr. Tanno for a listing of available Japanese pressings of Helen Merrill titles or would I have to be specific in what I was looking for?

I've been wondering about this for ages: Is it possible for me to ask Mr. Tanno for a listing of available Japanese pressings of Helen Merrill titles or would I have to be specific in what I was looking for?

Why don't you ask him; if it's not too time-consuming, he'll probably mail you a list.

• 2 weeks later...

Count me as one impressed by Hiroshi's service. I ordered some discs from his place on 3/24, and they were in my mailbox TODAY! That's amazing. He takes Paypal and let me pay in US$(No getting shafted on the exchange rate.). I praise him and his operation highly- they deserve it.

I ordered three discs- each disc was 1500 yen, and the total was $48.93. The shipping was about $8, which is very reasonable for Japan to Brooklyn, NY. I sent him an email with a list of what I was interested in and asked for a quote for the total. He replied quickly and gave me the option of paying in yen or dollars. He must have put it in the mail about 10 minutes after I paid him.

Edited by PHILLYQ

And as for trust I can remember a couple of times when Hiroshi will give you the quote and then you get busy and might pay him the next day and promptly receive his reply of thanks and that the "package was dispatched yesterday". I even sent a defective CD back just last week that was received and acknowledged for a credit within four days.

This must be a completely Japanese phenomena! And we should all do so well across the board. Hiroshi has Karma.

I haven't bought anything from Mr. Tanno for awhile, but a couple of years ago, we had three or four interactions. His customer service / responsiveness is by far the best I've seen in the entire CD online industry. Not to mention his prices. You absolutely cannot go wrong doing business with this gentleman.

Up over and out.