Don Pullen-George Adams Quartet

Brad

This set is a deserved pat on the back for Michael C. When the first whiff of this Select program started there was a thread where we all posted our wish lists and there were many of us who wanted these sides packed up immediately just as Tom in RI relates.

I believe this might be the first re-issue series from Mr. Cuscuna with his name as both "producer" and "produced for re-issue by"?

I received the following in an email from Mosaic regarding the contents of the upcoming Pullen/Adams select:

It will be both Pullen/Adams CDs plus both Pullen trio CDs in a 3-CD set.

I assume the trio sets will be New Beginnings and Random Thoughts.

Well, that's good AND bad news.

- Good, because it makes available some of the long OOP, music from this great group of musicians.

- Bad, because I already own those disks so there's nothing really to look forward to on this release. (but maybe that's good because I will save $39 B) )

Ah, I just posted a "heads up" about this little nugget of an announcement from the latest Mosaic catalog on another thread, and then came here - old news to many, it appears!

Anyway, I'm stoked...thanks for posting on the planned contents. For my part I would have preferred to see a third disc of live/unreleased Pullen/Adams Quartet material in the Select rather than Pullen's two (relatively easy to find) trio CDs, but still that is great material and I'm not going to look this big old gift horse in the mouth!

The possibilities now open up for a whole slew of 80's era BN Selects...the Newton would be good (although not sure how they'd round it up to 3 CDs with only 2 leader dates...maybe feature some other artist, kind of like some of the PJ Selects).

But IMHO even better would be a Jack Walrath BN Select...those recordings he did for BN in the late 80's are MY-TEE fine, up there with the Pullen/Adams material to my ears in terms of creativity and sheer heart and soul.

Perhaps a Bobby Watson/Horizon Select would also be nice (again even NICER if there's some unissued hot live material, that would seem a natural given Watson's passion on stage during that era).

Bennie Wallace's discs for the label in the 80's also deserve to be reissued in better sound (they were issued right at the start of the CD era and sound like crap). Maybe they could be paired up with the Newtons, although thematically/musically they have little in common, I don't care if it gets the music out!

Bennie Wallace's discs for the label in the 80's also deserve to be reissued in better sound (they were issued right at the start of the CD era and sound like crap). Maybe they could be paired up with the Newtons, although thematically/musically they have little in common, I don't care if it gets the music out!

A major "Hell Yeah!" for these. At least just a double disc set of the two BNs!!! With the personnel being so bluesy - what with Dr. John, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Scofield - it seems to play right into the hands of those kids who buy Norah Jones CDs.

And as for the sound: I have these & "Sweeping Through The City" (with that "Midnight Special" cover send-up) on LPs. I think those were the DMM platters and while I have not played any albums in quite a while I do recall these sounding just fantastic.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Yes, I'd have predicted that the vinyl from that era would sound far superior - I have one of the Walrath BNs on vinyl and it sounds really good. That will be more what I'd expect a Select to sound like.

I know some have slammed the DMM LPs but as I recall it had more to do with where they were manufactured (some places the quality was lower) than with the series as a whole...perhaps it was Chuck Nessa who had commented on that in another thread, was very illuminating.

Luckily, the few I have sound great, certainly not through any informed buying on my part.

Have you heard the Walrath Blue Notes? They are really fantastic, actually musically more rewarding than the Bennie Wallace dates but I agree with you, those are quite good and ought to sell well.

DrJ...

Yes I had Neohippus and Suspense as well. I think those and the Wallaces as well as some album called "Straight No Filter" were all bought when I was first venturing into jazz full strength. While I am a table-less soul at the moment, the only one I still own is Jack's Neohippus and the Wallaces.

I think those four could easily work as a select? ;)

But IMHO even better would be a Jack Walrath BN Select...those recordings he did for BN in the late 80's are MY-TEE fine, up there with the Pullen/Adams material to my ears in terms of creativity and sheer heart and soul.

and yet they don't sell for crap. so far, i can't even get an opening bid of 7.99 for a copy of neohippus on ebay, and this is the second time i've tried to auction it off!

I think it may have something to do with NEOHIPPUS being a little easier to find, I seem to see it pop up fairly frequently. In fact it's the only one that I have been fortunate enough to find for my own purchase (have only heard SUSPENSE).

When they originally announced Mosaic Selects, they said they woudl be two or three CD sets. Thus far all have been three, but there would be no need to find new Newton material (for example) to make it 3 CDs (although that woudl be nice. They could release it as a 2 CD set for $26.

You made the point I was going to make Adam, except regarding the Pullen/Adams. I was disappointed that Mosaic is filling out this select with the Pullen trio to make 3 cds. I have the Pullen trios already. I would have preferred they stick to the Pullen/Adams group making a less expensive 2 cd set (unless there were some additional live recordings of that group of course).

Which reminds me, I have an album on HORO under Richmond's name with Pullen, Adams

There's also Horos under both Adam's and Pullen's names as well. All three include Pullen, Adams and Richmond, among others. All were titled "Jazz A Confronto".

Adams also did another LP for Horo titled "Suite For Swingers" on which Pullen appeared.

Really looking forward to this set even though I likely have it all, unless there's unrelease stuff included. If nothing else the sound will likely be much improved.

Yep, that's it - "Jazz A Confronto". In this case it's "25". I suppose they all have different numbers.

I don't think I will be picking up the Select, unless there is substantial unreleased stuff here. While I certainly like the BN albums, I really think that they did stronger work on Timeless and Soul Note.

Which reminds me, I have an album on HORO under Richmond's name with Pullen, Adams

There's also Horos under both Adam's and Pullen's names as well. All three include Pullen, Adams and Richmond, among others. All were titled "Jazz A Confronto".

Adams also did another LP for Horo titled "Suite For Swingers" on which Pullen appeared.

Really looking forward to this set even though I likely have it all, unless there's unrelease stuff included. If nothing else the sound will likely be much improved.

and there is a solo Pullen date on Horo.

Five to Go.