Favorite arch top guitar

Hardbopjazz

I've never played a Guild that I felt comfortable with. That could simply be poor setup at the store, though.

It shore is purty: jazzica.jpg

Guild has had some issues with quality control over the years. Although, in general their archtops are extremely well made. It's been my experience that necks on Guild models tend to be a little thicker and wider than most archtops (this might account for the comfort thing). I tend to like the thicker/wider neck since I almost exclusively practice on an acoustic steel string guitar. The feel of my Taylor 314 and Guild are almost identical which makes the transition effortless.

That Hofner is a beautiful guitar. May you enjoy it for many years!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a lot of amps (surprise :rolleyes: ), including some Fender tweeds (the original Bassman with one 15" speaker, for example, which I sold for $400 20 years ago...), and an old tweed Gibson with a 15" JBL. Right now, I have a '64 Twin Reverb and a reissue 4X10 tweed Bassman. The Twin had been messed with before I got it, and it's never been a very good amp. The Bassman gives me the sound I like, although I should probably start looking for something lighter. Anyway, I don't play professionally, so I don't have to move it that often. BTW, its about tone for me with this baby, not volume. I don't think I've ever gotten it above "4". :mellow:

AB, I remember when I got my first carved-top Gibson (a '64 Super 400CES). It didn't hurt that it had been owned (and "played in") by Robben Ford, but there's something about a spruce top, and an ebony fingerboard, and pearl inlays, and gold plating, and... :wub: Hmm... I think I'll go play. :D

and...

Those Telesonics are sweet!

and...

That Gretsch ain't too bad either. Is it just me, or do you have an overwhelming urge to buy a Gretsch everytime you see Brian Setzer play?

Thanks Sundog!

Yeah, I feel the same way when I see Setzer.

I really dig the ebony fretboard on my Gretsch. I like how it plays.

Guild has had some issues with quality control over the years. Although, in general their archtops are extremely well made. It's been my experience that necks on Guild models tend to be a little thicker and wider than most archtops (this might account for the comfort thing). I tend to like the thicker/wider neck since I almost exclusively practice on an acoustic steel string guitar. The feel of my Taylor 314 and Guild are almost identical which makes the transition effortless.

That Hofner is a beautiful guitar. May you enjoy it for many years!

I think I played a few semi-hollow bodies a couple of years ago. The ones I checked out certainly looked nice, but didn't feel right in my hands. Just wasn't very impressed. I put 'em back on the rack. The Hofner's neck is a bit thicker than either of my other guitars, and that's taken some getting used to, for sure. We're still working on our relationship at this point. :g

Re: amps, my live setup is either a Carvin rackmount tube amp going into a 2X12 cab, with a Boss GT-6 for a preamp, or a Peavey Delta Blues combo. Jim's watching ebay for me; I want to pick up a Pearce amp. Those things are sweet!

On a side note what are you all playing through? I've got a 65' Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. Don't use any pedals or anything else "pre" amp. I can easily get that fat Kenny Burrell sound with my current rig which is kind of my default tone. Just nice tube tone with natural overdrive. I can't think of a better all round amp, although I am toying with the idea of getting a 80 watt Roland Jazz Chorus. I need a backup.

I use a THD Univalve. You can swap tubes w/o rebiasing, 6550 for gigs, el34 for home use w/o pedals. Also a '67 Bassman head, '73 Princeton, late '50's White (read Princeton) that needs work and a '59 Supro (small like a Champ).

Hi folks....

Gee....this must be my third post maybe.....but I check this place out a lot.

Anyway...the subject has inspired me to join in.

I like the old Gibsons and play a '44 L-7, a '36 L-30, and have a '34 L-12 on layaway that I can hardly wait to take home. The L-12 was just under the L-5 in Gibson's heirarchy but I actually prefer its looks. My inspiration to own and play an early thirties 16" Gibson is Eddie Lang, although musically I'm not really locked into a period style.

I play these without pickups and use a mic when I need it. One day may add a floating pickup to the L-7 but I'm not gigging at the moment so am in no hurry.

I am crazy for archtops and am always wondering what the next one's going to sound like. That spells trouble!

I've only played guitar a few years....took it up after a long layoff from being a sax player. I've come a long way in a short time and for that I'm grateful but am not sure I deserve to have all these nice guitars.

This is a great forum. Glad it's here.

Welcome to the board, zizala! Happy to have another guitar player on board.

Slightly off-topic, but I'm intrigued by a former sax player that is now a guitarist.

Quite a bit of the jazz that I listen to doesn't include guitar, and I find myself really listening to and enjoying the saxes, trumpets, and comping on the piano. At times I get frustrated by the guitar, as it seems to be quite easy to fall into "guitarisms" (for lack of a better term). One of my long term goals is to try to avoid those cliches, and approach the instrument from a (hopefully) more well-rounded perspective.

Any advice? Has your background as a sax player affected the way you approach the guitar?

Anyone into resonator guitars of any type?  I've always wanted to try one out but never have. . . and wouldn't have the time anyway, but that hasn't stopped me in so many other endeavors!

I have a Johnson. :wacko:

No, really! A $600-700 National steel clone, called a Johnson. It's a bit of fun. :P

17795680.gif

Edited by 7/4

Uncle Skid..

Playing reeds and then switching to the guitar caused me to immediately look for scales and lines while my chord comping lagged behind. Sort of launched me into Grant Green-ism which is not a bad thing!

Now I'm catching up on the harmony and clusters and comping and it helps me make my lines more relevant if thats what i'm trying to do.

Jazzbo...

Try listening to some Oscar Aleman if you haven't already. He alternates between using a reso and a Selmer style. Wouldn't call the tone mellow but listening to swing on a Tricone is very cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, zizala, how ya been? Glad your getting into the L-7. B)

My main full body archtop is a Gibson LeGrand (updated Johnny Smith) and I really love it :wub: . I also use 2 semi-hollows for jazz, a '64 ES-355TDC mono, and a '58 Gretsch 6122 Country Gentleman. I play them mostly through either a '65 blackface Twin Reverb or a '69 Silverface Twin Reverb. I'm waiting for the new Twin Reverb Classic 15 to hit the stores so I can try one out. A Twin with one 15" JBL D-120 copy, it'll be like an 88 watt Standel if it's made right. I can hardly wait. If it's what I'm hoping it's going to be, the '69's getting traded. :g

• 2 weeks later...

:mellow: they all have such great guitars..... :excited: .....

i found a "falcon excel" arch-top guitar (japanese copy of a d'angelico excel)....full solid...

i have not enough money to buy this guitar, but i'm workin in the store where this guitar is (as an amplifier technician.... ;) ).....

PacoPlay.jpg

my normal gear is: Gibson ES-347 & Peavey Classic 30 amp and/or my little Polytone megabrute amp (simple but :excited: )

greeeetz

paco

I have finally got my Epiphone Broadway back from the shop. I bought it on EBay for pretty cheap to inspire me to play more jazz. I couldn't quite get rid of all the buzzes so I had a "master luthier" have a shot. It is playing much better now.

So... LET THE JAZZ BEGIN!!!

I'll probably upgrade the pickups if I keep playing. Then maybe a better amp. Currently using a Peavey Classic 50 combo with 4 10s. It's been a pretty versatile amp for me over the years.

Edited by scottb

Doesn’t former Gibson employee’s make Heritage guitars? Heritage has some nice sounding arch top guitars. And for myself, being a lefty, they make more then just one left-handed model.

What about Ibanez guitars? Joe Pass played them, and so does George Benson. Is there anyone on this board playing on an Ibanez arch top guitar?