Leonard Feather is Very Excited by Thad Jones/Mel Lewis

"...In 1965, at the Village Vanguard, a child was born. In almost a decade that has elapsed, his cries have been heard and received with elation wherever true jazz has been heard. Never has a youngster been more prodigious in his ability to communicate in the universal language of music.  I would like to believe that the recordings of this orchestra will find their way into every library of music, every college music department, every connoisseur's collection, whether he grew on Basie or Brubeck or the Beatles or Herbie Hancock.  There just aren't any greater sounds being created by any musical organization.

"Am I overextending myself in my praise?  Listening to these four sides you will be convinced that if anything the case is being understated."

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

"...In 1965, at the Village Vanguard, a child was born. In almost a decade that has elapsed, his cries have been heard and received with elation wherever true jazz has been heard. Never has a youngster been more prodigious in his ability to communicate in the universal language of music.  I would like to believe that the recordings of this orchestra will find their way into every library of music, every college music department, every connoisseur's collection, whether he grew on Basie or Brubeck or the Beatles or Herbie Hancock.  There just aren't any greater sounds being created by any musical organization.

"Am I overextending myself in my praise?  Listening to these four sides you will be convinced that if anything the case is being understated."

FWIW, the reference to 1965 is either a mistake or a typographical error. The band made its public debut at the Village Vanguard on Feb. 7, 1966, though it is true that rehearsals began in late 1965 in a rehearsal studio in Manhattan.

What's the source of the quote, please?

Edited by Mark Stryker

17 minutes ago, Mark Stryker said:

FWIW, the reference to 1965 is either a mistake or a typographical error. The band made its public debut at the Village Vanguard on Feb. 7, 1966, though it is true that rehearsals began in late 1965 in a rehearsal studio in Manhattan.

What's the source of the quote, please?

A 70s Blue Note twofer LP.

See, I don't trust Leonard Feather to tell a true story, with facts and stuff. I think he's no above making shit up, of you know what I mean. So let's get him or his people up here on the horn RIGHT NOW and demand further exculpitation.

In other words, put up or shut up, Feather. You might fool some, but not all, and not about your alleged Vanguard Baby.

23 minutes ago, JSngry said:

See, I don't trust Leonard Feather to tell a true story, with facts and stuff. I think he's no above making shit up, of you know what I mean. So let's get him or his people up here on the horn RIGHT NOW and demand further exculpitation.

In other words, put up or shut up, Feather. You might fool some, but not all, and not about your alleged Vanguard Baby.

He's dead so can't answer you.