Diana Krall - Temptation CD single

Tjazz

Actually (prepare to stone me for my heresy), after reading about Krall's upcoming CD in the Ice, I'm rather curious to hear it. She co-wrote half of the songs with Elvis Costello, and they mostly deal with her mother's recent death. She also covers "I'm Pulling Through," a song written by the unprolific and underrated team of Irene Kitchings (Teddy Wilson's ex-wife) and Arthur Herzog. Sounds as if the album may be shaded rather dark, and so for the first time I'm experiencing interest rather than apprehension regarding a Diana Krall release. Still doubt I'll buy it (we always get her promos at the station), but I do look forward to hearing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I'm very impressed with this. The full length just arrived here. I was expecting to be underwhelmed. It works. After hearing about her "new direction" with this new album, well, you know what record companies, producers can do. Not only will this appeal to her base, and new younger listeners, but I think some jaded jazz fans who have been bored with some of her other work might find something in this one as well. One word of note, at times Krall's voice takes on a different character, almost forced at times. Still, much better than I had expected. Some good piano playing on it too, and of course the band is great!

Wow, I'm very impressed with this. The full length just arrived here. I was expecting to be underwhelmed. It works. After hearing about her "new direction" with this new album, well, you know what record companies, producers can do. Not only will this appeal to her base, and new younger listeners, but I think some jaded jazz fans who have been bored with some of her other work might find something in this one as well. One word of note, at times Krall's voice takes on a different character, almost forced at times. Still, much better than I had expected. Some good piano playing on it too, and of course the band is great!

Joe, I'm ordering the UK version because it contains an extra track, "I'll Never Be the Same," a song I've always liked, and that had been running through my head a couple of days before I read the ICE article. Your remarks go along with my hunch (believe me, I've never been a Krall fan before, even if LIVE IN PARIS softened me just a bit in her favor). Weird irony: her mother died of myeloma cancer, the same cancer that hit my mom, and my original post in this thread pre-dated my mother's quite sudden, unexpected death by three days. So, unfortunately, the album may have much more resonance for me now.

Sometimes I think that artists who get ridiculous hype end up getting undercredited as well. Perhaps Krall will prove to be one of those artists.

Yeah, I was more than a little worried after hearing the last track on the live in paris CD, sort of a NAC thing, wasn't it a Billy Joel tune or something the recorded for some movie and they put it on the album as a "bonus track"? It didn't do anything for me, sounded like a typical record company tactic of "let's try to sell this to a different audience" approach. This is very different from that, and the straight ahead tunes mix well with the Costello/Krall material, plus the covers. I wish she had a little more chance to stretch out on the piano, check out her two choruses on Black Crow, that's the best piano playing I've heard from her yet.

Yeah, I was more than a little worried after hearing the last track on the live in paris CD, sort of a NAC thing, wasn't it a Billy Joel tune or something the recorded for some movie and they put it on the album as a "bonus track"? It didn't do anything for me, sounded like a typical record company tactic of "let's try to sell this to a different audience" approach.

You mean the crap version of "Just the Way You Are"? Yeah, I'd been pleasantly surprised by the CD up to that point, and then that came along...

I suppose I've never warmed up to Krall because her albums have always struck me as the epitome of stylized jazz--a certain "mood" or tone or feeling that isn't really a feeling, but a sort of aesthetic pose. As a singer and a musican she doesn't lack for technique, but she's always come off to me as music for a middlebrow HBO 90's noir flick... That's why I'm so curious to hear this new record, which sounds as if it's informed by some pretty heavy real-life experience, and which also has the hand of Mr. Costello in it.

My wife loved the last song on the last CD; I hated it. Just goes to show you, Krall can appeal to different crowds. The CDs I don't like, she has, and vice versa, with very little overlap. I'm sure hoping the next one ends up on my shelf instead of hers. Either way, I was optimistic enough to preorder, so either I like it, or she gets a free CD...

Wow, I'm very impressed with this. The full length just arrived here. I was expecting to be underwhelmed. It works. After hearing about her "new direction" with this new album, well, you know what record companies, producers can do.

I agree Joe. Of the Costello/Krall (Elvis's name first?) tracks, Narrow Daylight stands out for me. Black Crow is superb. I was concerned that the Costello influence would permiate the project but it really doesn't. I mean it's there...he's there, but it's still Krall. Anthony Wilson shows a side that I hadn't heard before. He is such a damned good player! McBride shines throughout. Erskine is a genius.

:tup

• 1 month later...

Now that the full length is out - any further thoughts? Isn't it ironic that on this cd where she's supposedly going in a new "non-jazz" direction, that's there's a lot more serious jazz going on that her last two studio albums? Yes, Anthony Wilson is great, and adds a lot to this record. Can't wait till his next cd! Check out "Our Gang" if you haven't. (a trio with organist Joe Bagg and drummer Mark Ferber on Groove Note Records)

Here are my comments from another thread...

Well, the verdict is in for me after a few listens. There's definitely a "Costello touch" to this puppy that for some reason I find distracting rather than interesting. Krall shows more emotion with her lyrics than I've ever heard before, and a couple of her piano solos are interesting. But over all, I think Sundog nailed it with "underwhelmed". Add disappointed to my reaction. While a couple of songs strike me as interesting, and I definitely prefer it musically over the overly "LiPuma-ized" string extravaganzas, the disc boils down to a lot of nice work lacking in any soul. I think I'll be leaving the Krall purchases up to the wife from now on...

Frank, I agree; the Nat King Cole disc remains her high point.

Frank, I agree; the Nat King Cole disc remains her high point.

Moose,

I think for many of us that remains the case. I really enjoyed the tribute to Nat King Cole and do not believe she has ever topped that effort. I have kept purchasing her cds in hopes that she may rise to that level again but I have been mostly disappointed. I hate to hear that this is another disappointing effort from her. At some point I think many people will adopt your approach and simply quit buying her cds.

Uneven, IMO, but enough works here for me to call it "promising"--ironic word, I know, for an artist as established as Krall. I agree with RonF that "Narrow Daylight" is a highlight, and it's too bad that they didn't include "I'll Never Be the Same" on the American edition. "Almost Blue" is another track that worked quite well for my ears.

I'll have to re-listen to the Cole tribute; it's what turned me off from Diana Krall, but that was many years ago, and maybe I'd hear it differently now.

• 8 months later...
Guest Alon Marcus

I'm too lazy to look at the credits right now but the song "The Girl in the Other Room" is beautiful and has that special Costello touch (melody and harmony). I really really liked it. It's really a hard task to write a good song.

• 2 months later...