Jacky Terrasson

Hardbopjazz

Smile is quite nice. I like his first one on US Blue Note (just called "Jacky Terrason"?) a lot. And one that I think may be called "Rhapsody" that had a Weather Report feel to it. Those are out of print though. I haven't yet heard "Rendezvous" or "Paris". . . but I will. I really like his role in Jimmy Scott's "Heaven" release as well. And he plays quite well on Barney Wilen's "Paris Mood."

I like him pretty well, too. I got the "Jacky Terrasson" disc, "Reach", and "Alive". The last one is my favorite, I think.

Also I saw him live once (with Sean Smith and Leon Parker), and it was a great set he played. He ended with a tune that's one of the highlights, in my opinion, of "Alive": Love For Sale played on top of the bass-vamp of Herbie Hancock's Chameleon.

He can play lyrical, he can groove, and what stands out in his playing, I think, is his use of dynamics. I don't hear that in contemporary jazz too often. He's a really dramatic player, he can whisper and he can scream on that piano.

ubu

Terrasson is a favorite of mine

"Alive" is wonderful IMHO, "What It Is" (with a fantastic rendition of Ravel's Bolero) is a different one but quite good and "Lover Man" released by Venus is also very good.

"A Paris" has La Marseillaise on a jazzy mood and it´s a very beautiful performance

addicted as i am about this particular country, "A Paris" is very special for me

Marcus Oliveira

He ended with a tune that's one of the highlights, in my opinion, of "Alive": Love For Sale played on top of the bass-vamp of Herbie Hancock's Chameleon.

That was a very cool idea, IMO.

The plus of the trio with Leon Parker was the wide dynamics and creative approach to trio playing, using the Ahmad Jamal Trio with Israel Crosby and Vernel Fournier as a kind of reference point. The minus was that it is a little too controlled.

Where I can listen to Jamal over and over again, the Terasson trio starts getting stale after a dozen listens and doesn't sound as fresh anymore.

Just my opinion - I kind of lost my enthusiasm for them.

He ended with a tune that's one of the highlights, in my opinion, of "Alive": Love For Sale played on top of the bass-vamp of Herbie Hancock's Chameleon.

That was a very cool idea, IMO.

The plus of the trio with Leon Parker was the wide dynamics and creative approach to trio playing, using the Ahmad Jamal Trio with Israel Crosby and Vernel Fournier as a kind of reference point. The minus was that it is a little too controlled.

Where I can listen to Jamal over and over again, the Terasson trio starts getting stale after a dozen listens and doesn't sound as fresh anymore.

Just my opinion - I kind of lost my enthusiasm for them.

I experienced the same with the "J.T." and "Reach" discs, but not with "Alive". But live he was better indeed.

Funny was that Leon Parker was playing a FULL drum set! Yet it did not really make much of a difference (and I saw Ahmad the same night, with Idris Muhammad on drums and George Coleman sitting in for two thirds of the set - and it seemed Ahmad had lost it, while Terrasson on that night was really hot)

ubu

That observation confirms a few of my thoughts:

1) most drummers don't use the hi-hat in a creative way, just as a timekeeper - and if you make that accent with the brush, as Leon did, the hi-hat seems superfluous. It was funny - I started playing the drumset at around the time Leon hit the scene, and had the same thoughts about the hi-hat and the whole set, that a good drummer can swing a band with just a ride cymbal, went to the gig without a hi-hat and a similar minimalistic approach, and got plenty of strange looks. When I heard Leon it was a reinforcement of these ideas, but I find him to be very controlled in the sense of straight timing and predictability, even when he cuts loose - like on the ALIVE! album and the live track on his 32Jazz CD. I think he was the prefectionist of that trio. He certainly was on his own CDs, he doesn't improvise very much on the hand drums, and his sound on the conga is thin and his technique a little amateurish.

The record where I like Leon Parker best is Geoff Keezer's "Other Spheres", where he handles the intricate arrangements with aplomb - and a hi-hat!

And Jamal - his trio with Crosby and Fournier is hard to top. I like that CD with Muhammad. Seems he's growing old, musaically speaking. No wonder - but he really has played enough great piano for a lifetime.

BTW - I remember Jacky Terrasson playing some hot hardbop piano on drummer Sebastian Whittaker's third CD "One For Bu!!" on Justice (http://www.justicerecords.com/) - anybody wanting a hot Messengers tribute is in for a treat, and it sounds terrific!

Edited by mikeweil

And Jamal - his trio with Crosby and Fournier is hard to top. I like that CD with Muhammad. Seems he's growing old, musaically speaking. No wonder - but he really has played enough great piano for a lifetime.

We agree on that, for sure!

(And I guess we have that dream of a complete Ahmad Jamal Argo/Chess box on Mosaic...)

Thanks for your interesting comments!

I don't have the CD (you mean the one recorded at the Olympia in Paris, Dreyfus, I think, yes?) - I always thought to keep the memory from that live concert (Muhammad was smokin' and Coleman was in pretty good shape, too - Jamal was alright, but there were moments where he was trying too hard, and moments where he sounded a bit like a caricature of himself in his best days...)

ubu

The Cd I have is a French studio recording:

f32354adb3s.jpg

Cammack and Muhammad are very good, Jamal is nice. Of course he is not as hot as in his prime. I have it with a different cover - they made three discs with that title, The Essence.

I'm afraid any Jamal Mosaic is way out of reach - Jamal is sueing Universal: His original contract with Chess included a passage that he be asked before any subsequent issue, probaly to ensure his consent and payment of royalties. Universal has done three or four reissues without asking him prior to release, so he sued. I asked Mosaic and they replied, otherwise they would have done the Jamal trio with Ray Crawford long ago.