Which Mosaics probably don’t sell too well?

OK, here's one. Just yesterday I received the Kid Ory set. I was surprised to see a number in the mid-600s (0658, I think) on the inside cover. I also just noticed there's an Ory set on eBay currently with an edition number in the 300s. This set has been around for at least four years. If these numbers are even close to being representative, this must be a *really* slow seller. Anyone else out there have this one?

Now I wonder about the numbers. Two years ago I bought the Blue Mitchell set at the same time as a friend. The number were off by 800 from each set. Do they just grab any set and mail it? Is it done numerically one after the other?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost never look at the number in my Mosaic booklets (from prior threads, it seems the numbering is not in sequence?), but this thread got me to check my Ory, which I bought in the last 6 to 9 months-No. 552. As for slow sellers, I would nominate the Sarah, which is probably my most disappointing Mosaic. This set contains so much non-jazz pop stuff that much of it is unlistenable for me-and I sure do like her jazz work. Oh...and don't miss the Vee Jays, especially the Morgan/Shorter set.

The Anita O'Day (MD9-188) and Kid Ory (MD8-189) were both released almost five years ago. The O'Day set that I recently purchased was numbered around 2500.

So, how would you rate the Kid Ory set? I doubt that the license on this will be extended, so I bet you that it will become unavailable by the end of next year. (Please note that this is, at best, a calculated guess on my part.)

Edward-I love the O'Day, where most often she is in great voice and frequently backed by terrific playing. As for the Ory, I'd rate it in the lower one-third of my Mosaics. That is, it doesn't rival my favorites, but it has more going it for than a bunch of sets. Mostly studio dates in the late 50s, Ory and his pals make very good N.O. music, which is in some short supply in my collection and was a reason I bought the set. Musianship and sound (Addey) are excellent. Negatives-8 cds is a lot and Ory can't rival my favorite bone players. Am I glad I bought it? Yes, no regrets.