Anyone Else Follow Formula 1 Racing?

Just now, Teasing the Korean said:

Thanks.  The Forumula 1 site indicated two races today, one for late morning.  Are races scheduled and then cancelled for some reason?

I thought that race was later in the day too.

I think my confusion had to do with local time (at the race location, in this case Holland) vs. the viewing time for me (US east coast time).

There's only one F1 race per day. However, sometimes there are F2 races on the same day. Usually, those are before the F1 races.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, HutchFan said:

I thought that race was later in the day too.

I think my confusion had to do with local time (at the race location, in this case Holland) vs. the viewing time for me (US east coast time).

There's only one F1 race per day. However, sometimes there are F2 races on the same day. Usually, those are before the F1 races.

Thank you!  Looking forward to catching one that is not on while I'm either asleep or too groggy to turn on the TV!

@Teasing the Korean, next week's race, the Italian GP, will be at 3:00pm local time (in Italy) and 9:00 am on the US east coast.

It's at Autodromo Nazionale MONZA, which is known as "The Temple of Speed."

TTK, given your interests, I bet you'll recall the Monza raceway from the 1966 film Grand Prix.  One of the film's characters, Sarti, played by Yves Montand, dies in a racing accident there.  Along with Montand, the film features a terrific cast -- with James Garner, Eva Marie Saint, and Toshiro Mifune.

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on how you look at it), the high, banked walls that are shown in the film were later removed from the circuit.  They were deemed to be too dangerous.  Also, many other safety features have been implemented since then, particularly chicanes, which are designed to reduce speeds.  Even so, Monza is still Monza -- one of the most special circuits & races on the F1 calendar.

Edited by HutchFan

49 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

@Teasing the Korean, next week's race, the Italian GP, will be at 3:00pm local time (in Italy) and 9:00 am on the US east coast.

It's at Autodromo Nazionale MONZA, which is known as "The Temple of Speed."

TTK, given your interests, I bet you'll recall the Monza raceway from the 1966 film Grand Prix.  One of the film's characters, Sarti, played by Yves Montand, dies in a racing accident there.  Along with Montand, the film features a terrific cast -- with James Garner, Eva Marie Saint, and Toshiro Mifune.

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on how you look at it), the high, banked walls that are shown in the film were later removed from the circuit.  They were deemed to be too dangerous.  Also, many other safety features have been implemented since then, particularly chicanes, which are designed to reduce speeds.  Even so, Monza is still Monza -- one of the most special circuits & races on the F1 calendar.

That's great, but too early to drink champagne!  😹

11 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thank you!  Looking forward to catching one that is not on while I'm either asleep or too groggy to turn on the TV!

I can't remember the last time I watched an F1 race live. I DVR them and usually watch later that evening, and try to avoid motorsport news articles until I've watched that week's race. Although there's not much in the way of suspense these days, given Verstappen's dominance. 

Verstappen is clearly an elite driver, but he also has the undeniable advantage of having the best car, and it's not even close. Put Hamilton in a Red Bull, and I have no doubt the two of them would run away from everyone else while fighting among themselves tooth and nail, the way Senna and Prost did in the 80s when they were both driving for McLaren. Some of the other constructors have made midseason improvements to their cars that have narrowed the gap somewhat, but it'll be interesting next season to see if Red Bull continues to have the best car or if Mercedes/McLaren/Ferrari manage to improve enough to actually compete for wins on a weekly basis. 

8 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

I can't remember the last time I watched an F1 race live. I DVR them and usually watch later that evening, and try to avoid motorsport news articles until I've watched that week's race. Although there's not much in the way of suspense these days, given Verstappen's dominance. 

I should have thought to tape them and watch them later in the day.  Slow learner! 

On 8/28/2023 at 12:48 AM, Dave Garrett said:

Verstappen is clearly an elite driver, but he also has the undeniable advantage of having the best car, and it's not even close. Put Hamilton in a Red Bull, and I have no doubt the two of them would run away from everyone else while fighting among themselves tooth and nail, the way Senna and Prost did in the 80s when they were both driving for McLaren. Some of the other constructors have made midseason improvements to their cars that have narrowed the gap somewhat, but it'll be interesting next season to see if Red Bull continues to have the best car or if Mercedes/McLaren/Ferrari manage to improve enough to actually compete for wins on a weekly basis.

I HOPE another constructor (or two or three) can narrow the gap and actually compete with RBR next year.  What Verstappen is doing is damn impressive, but it doesn't make for especially interesting or exciting races. 

As for the "race" for the Driver & Constructor championships. . . there really isn't one.  It was over when the season began.

Now, the only question is whether Red Bull -- either Max (very likely) or Checo (less likely) -- will win every single race for the entire year.  I wouldn't bet against it.

Watching this morning's race while drinking Champaign!

I wish they would let me program the music for these races.  It would be so much better.

Imagine this for the opening theme:

OK, so I'm quietly playing in the background a playlist of KPM 1000 series stuff, like the track above, and it is FANTASTIC with the race and Champaign!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

On 9/2/2023 at 5:00 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Watching this morning's race while drinking Champaign!

I wish they would let me program the music for these races.  It would be so much better.

Imagine this for the opening theme:

OK, so I'm quietly playing in the background a playlist of KPM 1000 series stuff, like the track above, and it is FANTASTIC with the race and Champaign!

Oh yeah!  It's not hard for me to imagine that music being a soundtrack to racing.  ;) 

The cuts also sorta remind me of Dominic Frontiere's groovy soundtrack for On Any Sunday, which would work well too, I think:

Edited by HutchFan

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Oh yeah!  It's not hard for me to imagine that music being a soundtrack to racing.  ;) 

The cuts also sorta remind me of Dominic Frontiere's groovy soundtrack for On Any Sunday, which would work well too, I think:

Not familiar with that one!  Yes, that works well.  Looking in general for big, brassy stuff with "rock" or funk beat beneath.  I'll post my playlist when it is somewhat complete, but I imagine that this will be a work in progress as I encounter tunes.