Anyone Else Follow Formula 1 Racing?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

If we're doing Le Mans and other long-distance closed wheel sports cars now, this is what a proper race car looks like:

Ferrari P4.jpg

You'll get no argument from me on that.

That Ferrari is gorgeous.  All those curves.  Yowza.

37 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

You'll get no argument from me on that.

That Ferrari is gorgeous.  All those curves.  Yowza.

It helps that it's shot at exactly the right angle.

1967 Daytona: The Story Behind This Ferrari Picture | ROSSOautomobili

Not just pretty, 1-2-3 at Daytona in '67 after the Fords broke.  Many drivers did both this series and F1 back then, I think that's less common now.

1 hour ago, danasgoodstuff said:

It helps that it's shot at exactly the right angle.

1967 Daytona: The Story Behind This Ferrari Picture | ROSSOautomobili

Not just pretty, 1-2-3 at Daytona in '67 after the Fords broke.  Many drivers did both this series and F1 back then, I think that's less common now.

Yeah, I think the only driver who's currently driving for an F1 team who has also done these sorts of endurance races is Fernando Alonso.  He's won the F1 championship twice, and I know that he's also won the 24-Hours of Le Mans twice (2018 & 2019). 

12 hours ago, BillF said:

Yeesh.  He's filthy rich -- but he'd rather break the law than pay his taxes. 

And for what?  Is there even any practical difference in how you live when you're at the very tippy-top of the wealth pyramid? 

He's made billions.  Literally!  How much is enough?!?!

That's how a Jeffrey Epstein type story gains traction and then goes off into the goofyshpere of Q-Anon, just like that.

These are not good people. But they are given power and privilige anyway, because let's face it, it's the choice that too many people would make for themselves if given the opportunity, so they allow it in hopes that it will rub off/filter down on/to them.

Fucking pigs.

• 5 weeks later...

McLaren has terminated Daniel Ricciardo's contract.  He'll be gone at the end this season: 
https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricciardo-mclaren-part-ways-2023/10357166/

It'll be interesting to see where Ricciardo lands next year.  Presumably, he'll be back at Alpine/Renault -- assuming Oscar Piastri is able to move on.

Another thought: If Piastri is unable to disentangle himself from Alpine, who will McLaren go after to fill Ricciardo's seat?

Edited by HutchFan

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Just now seeing this, TTK.

It was on ABC.

19 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

Yep, ABC. The F1 races held in the US are typically aired on one of the major networks instead of ESPN. 

TTK, if you do bittorrent, there's almost always a torrent of the UK Sky broadcast available for any given F1 race. Send me a PM if you'd like a pointer in the right direction.

Thank you both!

• 9 months later...

Max Verstappen won again today, taking first place in the Belgian GP at Spa-Francorchamps. 

That makes 8 GP wins in a row -- and 10 wins out of 12 races for the season.  If Verstappen wins one more, he will tie Sebastian Vettel for the most consecutive wins in F1 history.

At this point, he seems unbeatable. 

Edited by HutchFan

• 4 weeks later...

Verstappen won the Dutch GP today. He's now tied Vettel's record for nine consecutive F1 wins. 

I'd be shocked if Verstappen doesn't break the record at Monza next week.

I'm not even particularly a fan of Verstappen -- but he's so dominant right now that the storyline for every race is about who's going to finish second. 

33 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Verstappen won the Dutch GP today. He's now tied Vettel's record for nine consecutive F1 wins. 

I'd be shocked if Verstappen doesn't break the record at Monza next week.

I'm not even particularly a fan of Verstappen -- but he's so dominant right now that the storyline for every race is about who's going to finish second. 

Is that the race that was on at 8am EST today?  I thought there was another race following, but I couldn't find it on ESPN.