Craziest 1980s/90s fusion

Rabshakeh

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Dennis Chambers usually comes to play.

He's great on this. 

At the end of the day, loving jazz is all about recognising and enjoying networks of great musicians. It's a great thrill to suddenly scratch through and see a whole network whom you had never recognised. Realising that you already knew some of them and that there's more to discover yet.

Edited by Rabshakeh

Frank Gambale, Stuart Hamm, Steve Smith – Show Me What You Can Do... (Tone Center, 1998)

R-11949164-1525465111-2524 (1).jpg

For some reason, in the late nineties world of fusion, power trios became the real deal. This one could have been better than it was. Just Too Much guitar.

Edited by Rabshakeh

Dave Grusin, Lee Ritenour, Diane Schuur, Dave Valentin – GRP Live In Session (GRP, 1988)

R-2558185-1290361441.jpg

This one has one of the best write ups that Allmusic ever achieved:

Start of review:

"On this 1985 date, Diane Schur at least is interesting." 

End of review.

Edited by Rabshakeh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Scott Henderson and Tribal Tech – NomadR-1264744-1204814532.jpg.3ec8ab17d3e445d575c98af9d6d2b12d.jpg

This one's towards the top of the 1980s fusion pile I guess. Still pretty stiff but not that stiff, and with an awareness of the concept of restraint. Good bass work too, and a slight sniff of late period Weather Report.

Edited by Rabshakeh

I´m not a big connoisseur of 80/90´s fusion. 

I had to play in that period in a fusion band and maybe listened to some stuff, some sounds to enlarge my horizont. 
I think there was a Don Cherry record with more fusion instruments, and of course there was Ornette´s Prime Time", and I still liked very much the Miles of the early 80´s mostly 81 or so, when it still had more spontanious elements and was not such a "stage show" with a lotta syhthisizers how it was from the mid 80s on. 
I think I had a James Blood Ulmer thing also. 

But I was not really a listener then, I was too busy to handle my own stuff until it got worn out....

4 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I´m not a big connoisseur of 80/90´s fusion. 

I had to play in that period in a fusion band and maybe listened to some stuff, some sounds to enlarge my horizont. 
I think there was a Don Cherry record with more fusion instruments, and of course there was Ornette´s Prime Time", and I still liked very much the Miles of the early 80´s mostly 81 or so, when it still had more spontanious elements and was not such a "stage show" with a lotta syhthisizers how it was from the mid 80s on. 
I think I had a James Blood Ulmer thing also. 

But I was not really a listener then, I was too busy to handle my own stuff until it got worn out....

Those records that you mention are great, and I think any jazz fan could / should be able to enjoy them. 

This thread is perhaps more designed for the "deeper cuts" that would appeal to a hardcore fusion head who particularly likes this era.

To me, this era of fusion seems like a very arid period of music, with too much widdly guitar and complete rhythmic constipation, but I have found some gems whilst exploring, like that Niacin record.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Joe Satriani… Apparently he trained with Lennie Tristano and Billie Bauer.

I was (but only recently) aware of the Satriani/Tristano connection — but until just now, I had no idea he’d studied with Billie Bauer too.  Some good info here, on both…

https://www.jazzweekly.com/2020/04/joe-satriani-interview/

I'm actually interested in recommendations owhich music from this genre+era people think has held up well!

Some positive recommendations:

1. Early Ozric Tentacles (Pungent Effulgent, Erpland, Jurassic Shift)
  2. Bruford Levin Upper Extremities (w/David Torn & Chris Botti)
  3. The King Crimson "ProjeKcts" (esp the ProjeKct Two studio album Space Groove, and the live recording of ProjeKct One)

Also, I wouldn't call it good, it's far too ridiculous, but I find that I enjoy the first Liquid Tension Experiment album.  A recording that's definitely unencumbered by excessive worries about "would this be in good taste?"

Edited by Guy Berger

13 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

I'm actually interested in recommendations owhich music from this genre+era people think has held up well!

Some positive recommendations:

1. Early Ozric Tentacles (Pungent Effulgent, Erpland, Jurassic Shift)
  2. Bruford Levin Upper Extremities (w/David Torn & Chris Botti)
  3. The King Crimson "ProjeKcts" (esp the ProjeKct Two studio album Space Groove, and the live recording of ProjeKct One)

Also, I wouldn't call it good, it's far too ridiculous, but I find that I enjoy the first Liquid Tension Experiment album.  A recording that's definitely unencumbered by excessive worries about "would this be in good taste?"

The boundaries between prog, metal and fusion are pretty blurry in this period. These are some fun records.

I haven't listened to Ozric Tentacles in many years but I'm having fun doing it now.

3 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

The boundaries between prog, metal and fusion are pretty blurry in this period. These are some fun records.

I haven't listened to Ozric Tentacles in many years but I'm having fun doing it now.

My entryway into jazz was via prog rock in the mid/late 90s.  Rush -> 70s Genesis -> Brand X -> Mahavishnu -> Miles Davis & John Coltrane

9 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

My entryway into jazz was via prog rock in the mid/late 90s.  Rush -> 70s Genesis -> Brand X -> Mahavishnu -> Miles Davis & John Coltrane

That's quite a trek.

I crossed via the John Zorn landbridge from an extreme metal entry point at around the same time. 

28 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

In terms of recommendations, the one that I really do recommend is Niacin, probably starting with the record upthread.

Edited by Rabshakeh

• 3 weeks later...