Dexter with Red Rodney?

Dan Gould

Can anyone help confirm if Red Rodney and Dexter recorded together in the mid-1970s?  Discogs is not helping yet I have this feeling they did a record together, one guesting for the other?  Wish Steeplechase had a decent website like Criss Cross.

Thanks as always in advance.

23 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Got a video:

And on comment says:

An audio recording is only available on the compilation 'Those Were The Days'.

That's a grey market item on the Moon label:

https://www.discogs.com/release/11338720-Dexter-Gordon-Those-Were-The-Days

MzItMTYzNi5qcGVn.jpeg

Thank you - I was thinking of that gray market release.  Turns out the one Red Rodney track was taken from a 34 minute TV broadcast.

6 minutes ago, JSngry said:

One might also take tremendous joy from the record Chuck mentions as well!

Oh I have had that one for a while and always enjoyed it.

The full show of Red and Dex on TV before an appreciative audience is something deserving of release but I guess that infamous label couldn't find a copy to source from.

Moon was a great label at the time. Internet file-sharing still wasn't a real thing, so getting these grey-market things was a real opportunity. I carpe diemed like a big dog, especially with all the Miles stuff...my first chance to hear the Lost Quintet...it was a fully funded reality check, that was.

Nowadays, paying money for them is usually a matter of either impatience, ignorance, or a need to collect items.

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Moon was a great label at the time. Internet file-sharing still wasn't a real thing, so getting these grey-market things was a real opportunity. I carpe diemed like a big dog, especially with all the Miles stuff...my first chance to hear the Lost Quintet...it was a fully funded reality check, that was.

Nowadays, paying money for them is usually a matter of either impatience, ignorance, or a need to collect items.

Indeed.  Moon was the only source I knew for a long time for hearing John Coltrane's "Creation" from the Half Note in 65.  

13 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

August 23, 1970 Charlie Parker Memorial Concert at tne North Park Hotel. Chicago.  I was there.

FWIW, after the afternoon show some of us went to dinner at a Mexican place down the street - dinner guests were Red, Roy Haynes, Dan Morgenstern and Ira Gitler.  Then back to the venue for the evening show. Lovely 50+ year memory.

Edit to say I'm sure I've told this before.

Edited by Chuck Nessa