Gil Evans - ‘There Comes a Time’ Question

DMP

The original CD release of the album was reconfigured, with Evans himself involved. Different mix, tunes were lengthened or shortened, maybe some additions or omissions (not sure about that…).  Seemed like a good idea at the time.  But has this ever been reissued in its original form?

2 hours ago, DMP said:

The original CD release of the album was reconfigured, with Evans himself involved. Different mix, tunes were lengthened or shortened, maybe some additions or omissions (not sure about that…).  Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Only would have been a good idea if the original album configuration/mix had also been included.  That whole /RCABluebird CD reissue series was a mess, as were the concurrent ones on CBS and Universal.  They all chopped up albums ("let's give them 7 of the nine cuts from the original album plus four from another couple albums."  Thankfully, more sanity came into play later on.  

According to the liner notes "at the artist/producer's request, the original multitrack recordings were remixed to digital tape...." Little Wing from the original album is on the Jimi Hendrix Evans album. Aftermath:the Fourth Movement... was on a strange cd that was half Evans and half Mingus. The Meaning of the Blues is 14 minutes longer on the cd! Joy Spring, So Long and Buzzard Variation are not on the original. The only thing you can't find on any cd I know of are the "short portions" of Comes a Time that were deleted. 

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

In Japan & France: https://www.discogs.com/master/281048-Gil-Evans-And-His-Orchestra-There-Comes-A-Time

I prefer the reconfigured version, but if you want the whole potato, you need both.

But the original has the better cover, by far. Never really liked those Bluebird covers.

Is this a cd? 

Edited by medjuck

Thanks! I’ll track that down. The CD era saw lots of reconfiguring, it’s been nice to hear stuff that you grew up with in a new way…. But I try to hang on to the original versions ( Mingus Ah Um, Miles at the Blackhawk), not sure I need to hear all those base solos on Monk at the It Club…

This one was better served by the redo imo. Gil's vision with these sessions was quite expansive and quite electric (to match the cover!). The LP kinda felt like a compromise to me, always did. I still have the it, but always reach for the CD. It seems like the real album to me. Gil's involvement seems like validation for that.