George Balanchine’s Soviet Reckoning

JSngry

Frank Zappa told me of his first impression of Moscow the night that he arrived. As the vehicle drove by the famous GUM Department Store, which was closed but well lit with empty shelves, as if to say, “Don’t break in, there’s nothing to steal.” He also described the food as worse than the stuff he supposedly ate on stage.

Edited by Ken Dryden

Dude, I got hooked on Balanchine a few years ago. Bought a whole series of DVDs of various live shows over the years  Just incredible stuff, at every level. 

TOTALLY fell in love with Diana Adams too.

Check this out:

and then the ill-fated Tanaquil LeClercq (there's a documentary about here that is highly recommended)

People ask me, they say, hey Jim, what's wrong with the worldwide world of jazz today, and  I just say "motherfuckers don't dance no more" and then they go all like, oh, disco that's SO lame Jim, getthefuckoutta here" and I say, no, not disco - DANCE.

Look at this, this is total comfort in your body and your mind, the two become the same, and THAT is how you dance, that is how you SWING, and THAT is what's wrong with worldwide world of jazz today.

I mean, if you can't get THAT, go join a rock band or something, just pound and plod and go for the cheap thrill. Let MY children her music, and let MY children be free in thier bodymindmindbody.

Please!

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

People ask me, they say, hey Jim, what's wrong with the worldwide world of jazz today, and I just say "motherfuckers don't dance no more" -- and then they go all like, oh, disco that's SO lame Jim, getthefuckoutta here" and I say, no, not disco - DANCE.

Look at this, this is total comfort in your body and your mind, the two become the same, and THAT is how you dance, that is how you SWING, and THAT is what's wrong with worldwide world of jazz today.

I mean, if you can't get THAT, go join a rock band or something, just pound and plod and go for the cheap thrill. Let MY children her music, and let MY children be free in thier bodymindmindbody.

Please!

Pete Townshend(!!) knows EXACTLY what you're talkin' about, Jim.  EXACTLY.  Don't believe me?  Check this...

Pete's band in 1985, playing "Walking" of all things...  But look for Pete throughout -- starting around 1:05, but periodically the camera is on him every 45 seconds, give or take.  THAT motherfucker does dance, or at least he did in 1985, the whole fucking song.  TOTAL COMFORT IN MIND AND BODY, just as you said...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Back around 2002, EIGHT or TEN times (the entire production run -- every performance over two weekends, including two performances on the Saturdays) -- I had the good fortune of seeing a ballet production of Hindemith's The Four Tempraments (wiki) -- commissioned by Balanchine, and scored for piano and strings (it's practically a piano concerto, except for the lack of solo cadenzas).  Why the hell did I see every performance? -- you're asking.  Well, it was on a double-bill with a staged ballet of Carmina Burana that I sang in the chorus for back in KC with the Kansas City Ballet and the KC Symphony (and the Hindemith was the first act).  And for the entire run, I never missed watching the Hindemith from out in the audience.

The music was wonderful, of course, but so was the choreography.  My mom was a dancer back in her college years, and in her ideal world, she would have been a professional dancer of some sort (she loved modern dance, and tap).  IIRC, she had the fortune to interact with Merce Cunningham once or twice a couple times the university she went to brought him in to work with students (University of Illinois), and she also got to dance to the music of Harry Partch performed by an ensemble with Harry overseeing the proceedings somehow (not sure if 'conducting' is the right term).

Anyway, my mom always loved Balanchine, and I remember him being the only choreographer she mentioned by name very often (other than Cunningham).

Over the years, my wife and I have tried to attend every work we happen to find in the arts section, that specially pairs Balanchine with works by modern, 20th century composers.  I should have kept a list, but I know we've seen half-a-dozen l wonderful Stravinsky works (and not just the usual suspects).

ALSO, as I was about to try and post this yesterday, I pulled up Four Temperaments on my phone briefly to include in the post (a YouTube clip), and started to play just a little of it, wondering if my wife would recognize it (she really loves the music).  And I'll be damn, she nailed it barely 20-seconds in, and she said "Hey, is that Hindemith?" -- and 5 seconds later she said "Four Tempraments?!!"  And this is WELL before any of the piano part comes in.  Like I'm really not entirely sure *I* could have ID'd it that quickly myself!!  Like I said, she really loves that piece -- but I'm sure it's been 3+ years since we've played it on the stereo.

I've tried to cue this up to the 84-second mark, so the music starts right away (we'll see if that works)...

4 TEMPERAMENTS (NYC Ballet 1964 Canadian filming)

PS: My wife saw that production twice (back in 2002), iirc — and I think we’ve seen two other productions of The Four Temperaments since then too.  The music is divine, and the choreography too!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties