Too Many LPs - Prepping for a Yard Sale

In another thread several years back, I posted a pic of our LP shelving, which runs across a long wall, floor to ceiling.  It was built with white modular stackable shelving that Home Despot used to sell, and I secured it to the walls to prevent buckling.

When we got it set up, we had a couple of empty cubes.  I said to my wife, "That's as far as we go.  Anything that doesn't fit in here, we have to make room by getting rid of something else."

My wife had a day gig at a radio station, and also has a show there.  She kept all of the LPs and CDs that she spins on her show in her office.  I knew the day would eventually come when she would have to bring those records and CDs home.  

Well, that day came.  She recently got a new job, working remotely, and we lugged home hundreds of LPs and CDs.  And keeping true to my word, we are going through the LPs, unloading duplicates (in most cases; I have to keep two copies of Serge Gainsbourg's "Je'taime"), and unloading the dogs.

I am being pretty brutal, but nowhere near as brutal as I could be.  There are certain things that I simply can't get rid of, even for a single track.  For example, I have a rare late-60s religious "rock" musical that is almost all terrible, except it has this one wild hallucinogenic sitar-and-tablas  track.   

We are having the sale in the first weekend in November.  It will be interesting to see what "vinyls" the kids are buying these days.

Also, there will be almost zero jazz, aside from a very trashed copy of Alligator Bogaloo, Johnny Hodges' Don't Sleep in the Subway, and doubles of some jazzy Mancini soundtracks.  I can't really part with any jazz, at least not yet. 

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

How much are you gonna ask for that Hodges?

and what condition is it in?

A decent play copy, not pristine.  No deep scratches IIRC but superficial marks.  The spindle on my Nitty Gritty cleaner just broke at the worst possible time.  When I get the replacement part, I'll give it a scrub and report back.

On 25.10.2022 at 8:18 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Has it changed that much in five years?  At a vinyl sale we had 5 years ago, it was all 20- or 30-somethings.

At the sole fleamarket I was able to set up a stall at this year the buyers' audience had gotten significantly younger, despite my "oddball" offerings (jazz, pre-1960 styles only - and then mostly Swing, plus some Jump blues/R&B as well as a bunch of 40s U.S. pop 78s). Not that I had tons of sales but what I did sell pleasantly often went to young'uns more or less well below 30, including several girls who were hip to R&B as well as 78s. And not all of them looked they were part of the swing/retro subculture set.

Edited by Big Beat Steve