Jump to content

Dub Modal

Moderator
  • Posts

    3,328
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Dub Modal

Recent Profile Visitors

6,040 profile views

Dub Modal's Achievements

  1. This is the only reference I could find here for this 3 LP box. Just picked it up locally for a song and have yet to spin it
  2. Tracklist and some brief reviews at the Discogs link: https://www.discogs.com/release/38347590-Jimmy-Smith-The-Champ-Live-In-Hermosa-Beach
  3. This is terrible news. Social media sites make for awful forums, reddit included.
  4. @Rabshakeh your Far I post got me searching online and scrolling around looking at his dub albums. Per some discussion on Discogs, I learned that the Pressure Sounds reissue of Crytuff Dub Encounter Vol 1 apparently folded down the wide stereo of the original album and unfortunately constricts the sound considerably. I don't own a copy, but have heard the PS version and I remember liking it. But now I'm on the lookout for an OG which is claimed to have a very wide stereo soundstage. Passing along in case you're interested as well.
  5. Same and that's probably why hindsight helps me enjoy these backpack artists more than I did back in the day. The rapping is good as you say, and the sound is gritty.
  6. I'll always respect it bc it sounds unique among tons and tons of rap and hip hop. Pressure Sounds really went whole hog on that cover redesign. I love it and hate it at the same time.
  7. ESP just put this on Bandcamp, and Bandcamp Friday is this week, 9/4.
  8. I have such a hard time naming tunes. Not sure that will get any better unless I find a way to do drills or exercises on memorization. If only I had that kind of discipline... 1 - Pretty relaxed tempo with some moments of large ensemble intensity. I dig it. At first listen I'm guessing Mulligan but after playing over again I'm changing that to Pepper Adams on that first solo? I really like the sound of the trumpet player but I can't name this tune. Is it Hank Jones on piano? Maybe it's the heat outside but I'm really loving everything about this tune. The horn chorus outro is superb. 2 - Very familiar tune. Fluid, deft playing from this first tenor...second one then shifts to where it's dripping in the blues with some aggressive phrasing coming in. Muscular, as the critics of yore would call it. Love the bass line. Piano is ok, but to me the only rhythm needed here are the drums and bass. 3 - Love the tenor here, but I also notice the drummer is out of the ordinary in style and phrasing. Nice. I'm guessing 60s. I like the piano here more than the previous tune. 4 - Interesting trumpet playing. Not someone I immediately recognize although it sounds like it's from the 60s as well. Jumping drummer. Higgins? Oh man that sounds like Joe Henderson. Damn, this is really getting good. Piano interplay is great. Can't name it though. 5 - Sick intro. Drummer is nasty. Making that hi hat sing. Love this tune. 60s again I'm thinking. Repeating this one. Going out on a limb but Houston Person? Standing ovation for the drumming. 6 - Melody is recognizable. Bassist has great sound. What is that percussive string instrument here? Berimbau? Not sure, maybe someone modifying a guitar? I like it. A lot. 7 - Intro reminds me of Sun Ra. but then I notice the lack of reverb and I don't think it's him, especially because it sounds recorded well after Sun Ra's time. Horns are great. Trane-ish. Interesting tune all around. No guesses. 8 - Talkin' bout Pharaoh. Sweet. Love the throw back style of this song and percussion that make it super unique. Good one! 9 - This one drags a bit for me. Playing isn't bad but the tune isn't my thing. No problem. The announcer at the end gives the players away. I have no idea who they are so would have never guessed. 10 - Feeling that spirit baby. Gospel jazz style. Never heard this before. Singer is excellent whoever she is. I would pay to see her. This turns out to be a fantastic song but I have no guesses. 11 - Bass is cohesive, drums are driving and horns are singing. Really good stuff. There's nothing too wild here in my view. Some excellent songs and lot of it new for me. Thanks for putting it together!
  9. Good stuff! Thanks man
  10. Love both of these I recently read an anecdote of a Miles Davis relative who said she was watching MTV when a Slayer video came up. Miles listened and said something like "that drummer is leaving no doubt" and got up and left the room.
  11. These tracks come up on a different album via streaming, and that's what I'm listening to.
  12. This was a good watch this morning: Ron Carter being interviewed, centering on this photo: https://www.cbsnews.com/video/capturing-jazz-legends-art-kane-harlem-1958/
  13. Enjoy! 🍻
  14. I would say yes, enthusiastically. You're getting great music from a reissue label that's become one of my favorites currently.
×
×
  • Create New...