RIP Tony Coe

adh1907

A long life and a great legacy. Nice tweet from his son Gideon:

‘Our Dad, the great Tony Coe, died yesterday evening. He'd want me to tell you about the time Duke Ellington said to him "When are you going to join my band ?" (Basie had already asked). But mainly I want to say how much we loved him and how much we'll miss him. Love you TC. Xx’

Sad news, may he RIP. A stellar member of Clarke-Boland Band, a lineup of greats and strongly featured on most of their albums but also contributed much, much more. I enjoyed seeing him with Norma Winstone and John Taylor, over 30 years ago now.

I recall he did a duo tour with pianist John Horler some years before the lockdown. Sadly, didn’t get to see it.

Edited by sidewinder

3 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I don’t recall this early album of his ever getting a CD reissue - 

LmdpZg.jpeg

Yes, and an earlier one with a cheesy cover, ‘swinging till the girls come home’. Never seen in the wild.

There is an amusing review of his first LP:

https://jazzjournal.co.uk/2023/01/25/jj-01-63-tony-coe-swingin-till-the-girls-come-home/

6 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

Yes, and an earlier one with a cheesy cover, ‘swinging till the girls come home’. Never seen in the wild.

https://jazzjournal.co.uk/2023/01/25/jj-01-63-tony-coe-swingin-till-the-girls-come-home/

By the Honourable Gerald Lascelles!

10 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

I’ve actually got an LP copy of it, will dig out this weekend.

Not Philips Art Dept.’s greatest hour.

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

16 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

By the Honourable Gerald Lascelles!

Cousin of the Late Her Maj. ?

That review is bizarre - the last tune I would consider ‘seldom heard’ is ‘St Thomas’ !

Edited by sidewinder

Fantastic musician, one of my favorites. Love his records on Nato, particularly Tournée Du Chat. Also, he is great on Free Zone Appleby 2003 (Psi) with Evan Parker, Phil Wachsmann & Co. 

On 3/17/2023 at 10:32 PM, sidewinder said:

I recall he did a duo tour with pianist John Horler some years before the lockdown. Sadly, didn’t get to see it.

There is a duo live CD recorded in 2007, released in 2021, Dancing in the Dark. Coe plays clarinet exclusively. It's excellent as well. 

7120z9Y8vBS._SL1200_.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.

I think that tour of Coe/Horler was in about 2010-2012. Literally they did a countryside Festival performance just down the road from me and somehow managed to miss it. Regretting that now.

I think I saw him also at one of the Swange fests in the 2000s as part of a bigger lineup but have forgotten the specifics.

Edited by sidewinder

He was a consummate professional and all-rounder who seemed to fit in with any music and always enhanced it by his presence. Although veering towards the mainstream he was, like his contemporary and colleague Kenny Wheeler always happy to participate in genres in which he was not usually a regular exponent. Ian Carr's Labyrinth is one example. However, he did make one record which is extraordinary in its breadth and compositional imagination. Zeitgeist, which was produced under the aegis of the great British jazz Svengali, Denis Preston is a true one-off but its interesting to note that there are seemingly no reviews of it, or at least none that I can dredge up via Google. Would love to read some. Plus it's surely time for a reissue of this album? RIP Tony

Zeitgeist.jpg

Edited by RogerF