MLB 2023: how ya like it now?

6 hours ago, Brad said:

Mets helped out a little today but unfortunately Braves beat Cubs again. 

Need help tonight please, since these brutal failures put them tied, and with the Marlins having the tie-breaker.  I don't have a good feeling about the rest of the regular season.

Will be interesting to see if MLB does anything against this allegedly homophobic Houston reliever. Under normal circumstances I would say that nothing should be done, but the guy was a dick and he's an Astro, so I say immediate suspension and if he appeals so he can keep playing, then he's out for the playoffs.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Need help tonight please, since these brutal failures put them tied, and with the Marlins having the tie-breaker.  I don't have a good feeling about the rest of the regular season.

Will be interesting to see if MLB does anything against this allegedly homophobic Houston reliever. Under normal circumstances I would say that nothing should be done, but the guy was a dick and he's an Astro, so I say immediate suspension and if he appeals so he can keep playing, then he's out for the playoffs.

Unfortunately, the pitching matchup favors the Marlins but the Mets generally seem to have the Marlins number this year.

I saw the incident. Growing up overseas I saw that term being used but in a friendly, kidding way between friends. However, if you use it in anger you’re asking for trouble. 

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Ronald Acuña Jr.  First player in the 40-70 club:

r1230759_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cquali

My dad grew up near Pittsburgh watching the Pirates, and he says that only player he's ever seen who had Acuña's combination of skills is Roberto Clemente.  . . . But even Clemente didn't put up these sorts of numbers.

And we'll never know if he could have done it without this year's rule changes.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

And we'll never know if he could have done it without this year's rule changes.

I hear you.  OTOH, even if we acknowledge that the rule changes helped Acuña pick up more steals than he would have in previous years, it's not like he barely broke the record.  He destroyed it. 

We're not talking about 40-40 anymore. The new benchmark is 40-70.

Also, let's see how many ballplayers can reach that plateau going forward. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's going to be a very small club.

Edited by HutchFan

Thank you Tito for over-achieving quite a bit during your extended stay in Cleveland. Great to see you and the original Tito on field before a playoff game. Hope your health challenges don’t escalate (may be worth continuing to reside close to the Cleveland Clinic). 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Participation trophy, yay!!! 🦄

Last year the Phils participated all the way to the World Series so don't knock it yet.

I was shocked this afternoon to see a headline about Tim Wakefield having brain cancer and absolutely floored to just find out that he has died.  Very very sad news.  When he was on he could be awesome.

11 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Last year the Phils participated all the way to the World Series so don't knock it yet. 

No, I get that and will be happy to accept any day(s) that The Good Rangers show up, but...this season was stupid. To lose a division by one game on the last day of a season with so many clearly abnormal factors on display for so long...

You know who says "I'd rather be lucky than good" and means it? People who really aren't good. This team/organization COULD have been as good as they thought they were, but they didn't face the deeper realities of their underlying weaknesses. Some of this was for to injuries, but watching the games daily...they either looked like a juggernaut or a shit show. Very seldom were their genuinely tough/unlucky losses.

What I've begun to suspect is that, over the course of the season, advance scouting has made the Rangers real easy to pitch to. If you can't hit your spots with precision, you're likely to get slaughtered. Otherwise, your chances of containing them (or better) is pretty good. Similarly, when they show good plate discipline, it's rewarded. But the key word there is discipline. And... inconsistent discipline is almost an oxymoron, maybe?

On the upside, there's a lot to build on here. And the defense has usually been a delight to behold. Personally, seeing great defense is my favorite part of the game, so, yeah, that!

Bochy's public face has been very friendly and accommodating, but I have to think/hope that his in-house dealings are meaningfully toothier. 

Actually hoping that they get hot now in the postseason seems to be asking for bad behavior to be rewarded, or at least not seriously examined. 

I've had a historical affinity for the Orioles, so...do it for Brooks this year! 

Jordan Montgomery has pitched consistently honest, serious baseball since his arrival here. Seriously hoping we can keep him long term. 

His support cannot say the same, at least as far as consistency. Today, ok, 4-0 win and six BB for the Rangers (hooray plate discipline), but TB played shitty defense (and the Rangers were very leathery, as per expectations) and 2-13 RISP/13 LOB...these are hardly outliers, this kind of "luck" has been leading us by the nose just as often as not. 

This team needs to decide what it wants to be when it grows up 👁️‍🗨️

1715528204.0.jpg

Yeah, THAT!!! 

I'm with you on the luck thing Dan. We pitch Eovaldi tomorrow. I have come to learn that Eovaldi is Latin for "well, just how far along I'm his recovery IS he, really????"

I thing the Rangers had the highest OBP in the AL (MLB?) this year, and we're third overall in BB. So getting on base at all is hardly the issue. Moving them is. When they move, the seem to move freely and massively. But when they don't...

I don't think that my bowel habits should be the model for any big league offense. Ever. 

And still, the bullpen. Even if Eovaldi comes out after five shap innings...Even the home TV crew has gotten nervous about them. The radio crew, being by far the superior call, has been nervous for a while now.

And so we play the games. And make mine radio! 

I would watch the Twins to see if they get their viciousness back. The last time we played them they swept us and I swear they had both blood and fire in their eyes from start to finish. Whatever the Rangers needed to have to shut that mess down, they didn't have it, not even slightly. 

Just sayin', if they got that mojo to get and they get it, beware!

16 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Good Rangers, Eovaldi actually rehabbed, that'll work, thank you. 

Wow that is a shocker, first Tampa Bay can't sustain their lead against the Orioles and ultimately ignominiously bounced in two games at home.

I withdraw my comment before and declare that my team for the duration is the Rangers, if only to make sure Jim learns that I am the supreme home team pessimist on this board and he needs to lighten up and enjoy the ride.

(Insert old green smily here)

Edited by Dan Gould

Oh, I'll enjoy this ride for as long as it lasts. But there could have been a more fun and logical ride up to this point.

And hopefully will be for the next few years!

But for right now, if Josh Sborz is truly fixed now...that matters. Big time. And Jose LeClerq seems in carpe diem mode. Now, crossing prayers and saying fingers that The Most Noble Dane Dunning (another one of the honest pitchers, meaning that there's no uhuhuhuh SORRY shit, he just steps up and deals as best he can on any given day) gets to shine in the post-season. 

So on we go. Sorry Brooks, can't go there after all. 

17 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

(Insert old green smily here)

I hate that we lost that thing.