MLB 2023: how ya like it now?

Injuries... Seager should be back, which is big. Heim might not be, or be back at less than 100%, which is also big. Jung shows signs of having been figured out way more lately, he chases way too easily. And the starters are a mess.

Otoh, watching Bochy has been a joy. First Ranger manager since Ron Washington that seems to be getting the team to play up to their fuller potential. But still some work to be done there too.  

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, very much liking the obtainment of Austin Hedges, and liking this description of him even more:

Hedges, who turns 31 later this month, is on a one year, $5 million deal with the Pirates. He is considered an elite defensive catcher, and he couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat.

with Heim out for however much longer...a good framer behind the plate is crucial, imo, and we do not have that now w/o Heim. This stat says it all (if it is in fact accurate):

Catchers with 500 innings caught Heim ranks 3rd in Fangraphs Defensive Metric and Hedges 2nd. In Framing Runs Heim ranks 3rd and Hedges 1st.

And...supposedly this guy is an adept bunter. That's one thing I've missed seeing on this team, the well-placed bunt when needed. 

This is a little shocking:

https://www.mlb.com/news/anthony-rizzo-injured-list-concussion

When I saw the headline I assumed something had happened in the last game or two but this is from May 28, also the point where his bat went to sleep.  Measurable "cognitive impairment" this long after? This is some serious shit

The Braves kept rolling today, beating the Cubs 8-0. 

Best part about it: pitcher Max Fried -- runner-up for the NL Cy Young Award last season -- returned from the injured list, pitched six innings, and give up just three hits (all singles). 

VERY good news.

On 8/3/2023 at 6:00 PM, JSngry said:

Wishing him all the best going forth, yes, very serious stuff.

Also wishing the Yankees all the best (and then some!) for their next four games! 

Sorry about last night, but at least we got it done for you today. Always happy to defeat Houston, whatever the cause!

On 8/3/2023 at 5:43 PM, Dan Gould said:

This is a little shocking:

https://www.mlb.com/news/anthony-rizzo-injured-list-concussion

When I saw the headline I assumed something had happened in the last game or two but this is from May 28, also the point where his bat went to sleep.  Measurable "cognitive impairment" this long after? This is some serious shit

Yeah, it’s just the latest lapse with this organization in recent years, and certainly one of the worst. Joshua Diemert, one of Pinstripe Alley’s best writers, and no generator of hot takes, has a good post up about l’affaire de Rizzo:

Anthony Rizzo’s concussion situation is malpractice

Edited by ghost of miles

On 8/5/2023 at 3:36 PM, ghost of miles said:

I do not quite agree with the "malpractice" assertion here ... we ought to recognize that players have a lot of responsibility here to report what is going on in their heads. And other than some short period ago mentioning "fogginess" I don't see where Rizzo let anyone know anything about how his head was functioning.

And it does seem like "oh now that you mention it, sometimes I'd forget the number of outs, and I started feeling tired but I figured it was the daily grind of a long season."

Well, I would expect a 12 or 13 year veteran to know exactly how tired he can expect to feel in June, and in July and in August. If it were indistinguishable than its not really a symptom. And again, did he or did he not tell anyone. 

There's also the fact of guaranteed contracts in MLB meaning no one is "right behind you trying to take your job" the way it is/was in football.

Last but not least, "forgetting how to hit" happens to nearly everyone in the game at one point or another and I do believe that he has been on an offensive downswing typical of people in their decline years. In fact I expected that his decline years would get hidden a little bit by playing 1/2 his games in that ridiculous park.

Failure to "take care of your players"?  OK, maybe but "malpractice" ... not proven to me.

Josh Jung, fractured them yesterday, might well cost him AL Rookie Of The Year, which I guess would also give the Rangers a bonus draft pic as a celebration gift or something.

His hitting is on and off, mostly on, but his defense has been a joy to watch. I'll never forget Adrian Beltre, NEVER, but this kid is showing some real skill over there. So a fractured thumb is a real bummer.

Could the Yankees limp into their weekend "nobody cares but the fanbases" showdown with the Sox under .500 courtesy of the Braves?

I don't know but hope springs eternal! (This is where I really miss the green smiley with the eat-shit grin that didn't return with the last upgrade)

34 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

As a Braves fan, I really, really dislike the Mets.  Beating them like a drum for three games (out of a four-game series) felt darn good.

That said, I hate the Yankees.  (Yes, the '96 WS still stings.)

So @Dan Gould, it sounds like we'd both be pleased to see the Braves sweep the Yanks.  ;) 

As a Cub fan by birth and Sox fan by choice, hatred of both NY franchises comes very naturally.  The Mets fall from $350 million dollar payroll is just a beautiful thing and the possibility of both teams missing the playoffs would be a great thing to see.

That Yankee collapse at Miami is the kind of thing that can send a team into a spiral, and playing Atlanta can do it regardless.

The Brewers are considering moving.

Their lease is with a govt dept.  The lease obligates the landlord to improve the stadium to keep up with other stadiums.  The govt dept says that it doesn't have the money to meet its lease obligations.

Milwaukee Brewers Could Leave Milwaukee Over Ballpark Issues, Per Reports - Fastball (si.com)

20 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

The Brewers are considering moving.

Their lease is with a govt dept.  The lease obligates the landlord to improve the stadium to keep up with other stadiums.  The govt dept says that it doesn't have the money to meet its lease obligations.

Milwaukee Brewers Could Leave Milwaukee Over Ballpark Issues, Per Reports - Fastball (si.com)

That'd be a bummer if they lost their ballclub a second time.  :(