Artists of Whom You Accumulated a Zillion LPs Without Really Trying

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/23/2023 at 2:37 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Wondering if this is the case for anyone else, or if you would add others to this list.

Herbie Mann & Ramsey Lewis would definitely be at the top of my list.

I'd also throw Gato Barbieri in there (especially the A&M stuff and after).  Quite a few albums by Hank Crawford and Bobby Hackett too.

Of course, I like these musicians or I wouldn't bring the LPs home in the first place.  ;)   But I definitely have more because it's so common to stumble across inexpensive copies. 

Edited by HutchFan

13 hours ago, HutchFan said:

...Of course, I like these musicians or I wouldn't bring the LPs home in the first place.  ;)   But I definitely have more because it's so common to stumble across inexpensive copies. 

Of course.  If you didn't have any guardrails, think of how many copies of Merry Christmas from Firestone Tires you would have!

On 4/23/2023 at 2:37 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Last night, Ms. TTK and I had her brother and his girlfriend over for dinner.  We all love jazz and we are all vinyl hounds.

At one point, I put on an Ahmad Jamal LP (At the Top: Poinciana Revisited) and we started talking about artists in our accumulations for whom we have acquired many, many LPs, without really trying or being aware of it.  

The four artists in particular we we agreed upon were:

• Ahmad Jamal
  • Ramsey Lewis
  • George Shearing
  • And, of course, Herbie Mann

During the Great Vinyl Purge of the 1990s and early 2000s, albums by these artists were everywhere for low dough.  I think I have 16 Ahmad Jamal LPs, and probably around 30 by each of the other artists, or at least I had 30 at one time, before thinning the herd.  What is funny is that this occurred without any of us really trying.  We just woke up one day realizing we had accumulated huge catalogs of these artists.

Wondering if this is the case for anyone else, or if you would add others to this list.

I don't collect vinyl but ended up with WAY too many Satchmo CDs, only to realize (again)  - that I'm not a fan...

On 6/3/2023 at 11:49 AM, Teasing the Korean said:

Between 1997 and 2003, I made it a point to hit Stereo Jack's once a week, either on my lunch break or after work. Could we have crossed paths? You would probably remember me from my profile pic.

I was there too. I would remember anyone, who knows what your profile pic means.

On 4/24/2023 at 7:36 AM, soulpope said:

Art Pepper ....

Same boat. Especially when Laurie started her Widow's Taste label.

35 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

I was there (Stereo Jack's) too. I would remember anyone, who knows what your profile pic means.

I was the handsome guy perpetually going through the dollar bins.  You weren't the person who grabbed Hefti in Gotham City right before I reached for it, were you?