WNOP The Jazz Ark, Radio Free Newport (Kentucky)

JSngry

https://larryshudra.wordpress.com/2011/03/06/wnop-the-jazz-ark-radio-free-newport/

Dig the air shots! The jingles! The real commercials! The Jazz!!!

Commercial jazz radio is all but extinct, never mind commercial AM jazz radio. But like the neighborhood bars, it was once real, once common, and a totally different experience and way of experiencing this music and this life. 

Apparently they did this from 1963-2000, at which point they became an outlet for the local Catholic Diocese. My God would prefer the jazz, but that's just me.

There's been a documentary of sorts made, and it's on this new BeBop streaming network. 

https://filmfreeway.com/radiofreenewport

Every town should have one. 

I’m often surprised by our little New Mexico radio station.
Sometimes, I think, “Is this something I could play?” wondering if it may be too “out”, but then I’ll be listening inside our Pacific-provided archive and
“that” artist or style will show up in another show. Also, the mostly jazz overnight shows each night (“Music till the Morning”) are actually a delight to fall asleep to.
It’s becoming the only radio I choose to listen to anymore - happily and surprisingly so.

The major shortcoming of the doc is that the talking heads are never identified(!), but there's a lady DJ who talks about showing up cold as a 22 year old jazz fan who loved the station asking for an on air gig, getting it, immediately beginning to play Don Cherry etc. records, getting a LOT of mail (pro and con), and not once being talked to about it.

Don Cherry on American  commercial AM radio out of a barge in Newport, Kentucky. 

Make America THAT kind of great again!!! 

To be honest, I don't understand how organissimo works. I especially don't know how to ask a question, so I tried to answer to you
The new edition CD: Bill Dixon Archie Shepp Quartet FINGERPOPPIN' RECORDS-117025
lists Consequences as an unreleased track.
To me it sounds the same as:
Bill Dixon 7-Tette / Archie Shepp And The New York Contemporary Five (2002) Savoy Jazz CDSVY-93008
I'm hoping for an answer from you JSngry or from some other organissimo user
Thanks Luciano

10 hours ago, Luciano said:

To be honest, I don't understand how organissimo works. I especially don't know how to ask a question, so I tried to answer to you
The new edition CD: Bill Dixon Archie Shepp Quartet FINGERPOPPIN' RECORDS-117025
lists Consequences as an unreleased track.
To me it sounds the same as:
Bill Dixon 7-Tette / Archie Shepp And The New York Contemporary Five (2002) Savoy Jazz CDSVY-93008
I'm hoping for an answer from you JSngry or from some other organissimo user
Thanks Luciano

Posting your inquiry in the Discography forum should get you your response, thanks.

It certainly seems that there was enough of a local jazz ecosystem in the Cincinnati area to keep going for a good while. And there was this little commercial AM station going right along with it. 

That means that they sold ad time, which means that there were enough advertisers who didn't mind paying money to reach that jazz audience, who it must be assumed were listening to that station?

And why wouldn't you, at least sometimes? Where else are you going to hear what the river level is at any given moment? 

Oh, the jingles. Those cost money!