Princeton Record Exchange - Worth The Trip?

I’m down in Delaware visiting the in-laws. This year, I drove down by myself and I’ll be driving back to Maine by myself tomorrow as well. I’ve always wanted to stop at the Princeton Record Exchange and this looks like a perfect opportunity to see what it’s all about.

But is it worth the detour?

They don’t post any listings online so I have no idea what their stock is like. They’ve never sold online either, so I have no idea how they grade their records or if they sell records that belong in a dumpster.

So should I go? If I do, where do I park? Is there a decent place to eat nearby if I get hungry?

I have probably stopped by on average once every two years for about 20 years.  Have not been for two years so I am due.  

PREX is in the first block of a side street, South Tulane, off the main drag.  South Tulane had very limited on-street parking spots. The main drag does have parking spots but if you turned onto South Tulane and did not find a spot getting back to the Main Street is not straightforward.  There is a multilevel parking garage less than five minutes walk from PREX for which on South Tulane you will see signs directing you to. 

As of my last stop there (and throughout all of my visits), if you spent 100 dollars and put in on a card you save 3%. spend $100 and pay cash you save 6%.  I always spent more than $100 and generally was there for at least 2 hours per visit. 

You asked about records.  I have never shopped PREX for lps and, as such,  my comments below are limited to used cds.

Jazz cds are in numerous places in the store.  It is narrower up front in the store and then It opens up.  You walk in and there was a counter on the right where you check  your bag.  After that counter, there were tables in the right center area under which were boxes with uncategorized $1.00 cds including jazz.  ON the wall on the right were mid priced used cds ($2-6?) sorted by genre including a special area for jazz.  Then, on the far left hand wall towards the back is a "new" jazz cd section that included full price ($8ish) used cds. So that is worth checking.  Plus PREX has an extensive (to me) new arrival bins on one of the center tables that is worth inspecting.  Plus there are bins given over to "audiophile" or "special" cds including a section for Mosaic boxes.  As I recall, the full price used cd discs and maybe the midpriced used cd discs are kept behind the counter-only the jewel cases are in the bins. So you may want to allow time to check the condition of those discs. 

In my experience, PREX has always had more used jazz cds than any other one store I have ever shopped in including stores in San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Chicago (one visit to the Jazz Record Mart), New York and Boston.  Prices are terrific.  

Edited by cliffpeterson

Sounds like it’s worth the detour. I’m not exclusively into LPs but my CD collection is pretty extensive, so I often skip the used CD sections these days. It sounds like I’ll be there a while.

I figure it’s about 6 hours from there to my home in York, so I’ll have to try and time it right. But Waze hasn’t let me down in finding the fastest route home in a while.

Thanks for the advice.

3 minutes ago, bresna said:

Sounds like it’s worth the detour. I’m not exclusively into LPs but my CD collection is pretty extensive, so I often skip the used CD sections these days. It sounds like I’ll be there a while.

I figure it’s about 6 hours from there to my home in York, so I’ll have to try and time it right. But Waze hasn’t let me down in finding the fastest route home in a while.

Thanks for the advice.

Please do check the new arrivals bin and also the dollar LPs, provided that your lower back can handle looking through dozens of boxes on the floor.  You will find worthwhile LPs in great condition.

Also, if you are driving north from there, I would suggest staying on 206N.  It is a lovely drive, maybe not so much in August, but it is beautiful in the fall. New Jersey is the only state that doesn't allow you to quickly and conveniently pass through on an interstate, so you may as well take the scenic route.

2 hours ago, bresna said:

I’m down in Delaware visiting the in-laws. This year, I drove down by myself and I’ll be driving back to Maine by myself tomorrow as well. I’ve always wanted to stop at the Princeton Record Exchange and this looks like a perfect opportunity to see what it’s all about.

But is it worth the detour?

They don’t post any listings online so I have no idea what their stock is like. They’ve never sold online either, so I have no idea how they grade their records or if they sell records that belong in a dumpster.

So should I go? If I do, where do I park? Is there a decent place to eat nearby if I get hungry?

I live about an hour away although I haven’t been there in a few months. Their LP selection is decent but not mind blowing. I don’t believe they grade their records (but I could be wrong). They have all kind of records and the prices are generally market. Their cd selection is not great.  They do have plenty of Mosaics.

This being the tourist season, parking on the streets, unless you park far away, isn’t going to be easy. However, even it’s slightly far away, it’s a nice walk on the Princeton streets. There is public parking near the Princeton library but it’s going to be crowded. There are plenty of places to eat, particularly on Witherspoon Street. On Nassau Street, between Witherspoon and S Tulane, there is a great bookstore (Labyrinth Books), if you’re so inclined.

Even if you don’t find anything, making a trip to Princeton is worth it.  Very walkable and a nice little city. 

Edited by Brad

Worth the trip! I must've walked in on a day when they got in a large collection because the vinyl new arrival bins were pretty full. I ended up buying 11 LPs and 3 CDs. One of the LPs is toast though - I played it when I got home and it skips in an area where it looked rough.

I almost bought a Mosaic. The had the Shorty Rogers Atlantic LP box. I brought it up front to have them open it to check the records out and we found CDs inside of a an "MR5" box. :) I did not buy the CD set.

2 minutes ago, bresna said:

Worth the trip! I must've walked in on a day when they got in a large collection because the vinyl new arrival bins were pretty full. I ended up buying 11 LPs and 3 CDs. One of the LPs is toast though - I played it when I got home and it skips in an area where it looked rough.

I almost bought a Mosaic. The had the Shorty Rogers Atlantic LP box. I brought it up front to have them open it to check the records out and we found CDs inside of a an "MR5" box. :) I did not buy the CD set.

Did you drive up 206N?

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Was it a nice drive? When I used to drive it, I would pass through small towns with farms between. 

There were a few stretches of country road but mostly it was pretty busy, with plenty of areas with multiple businesses. I was on it for about a half hour before I got dumped onto 295.