Spiritual Jazz V. 14: Private on the way

ghost of miles

Thanks, I'll probably get this one, but in CD format. Experience says to "carpe diem", as these don't stay in print long.

Strangely, I own only the first disc in the series. Though tunes from various recordings I own have been included in later installments. The "private" aspect of this one means that everything will be new.

Edited by T.D.

I hadn’t set out to get all 13 volumes (soon to be 14), but it’s mostly a well-curated series.

And in my defense, when I started I never dreamed the series would go on and on and on (and on) like it has.

The only volume that I already had most of of on CD, was (obviously) the Blue Note one. But I was so tickled that the included one of the three long BONUS TRACKS from the second “not-released-until-2006” Solomon Ilori session (the one with Donald Byrd and Hubert Laws) — and I also wanted to read what they’d said about it in their liners — so I bought it as a vote-of-confidence for the whole series.

(And to my own surprise, the Impluse, Steeplechase, and Prestige volumes all gave me a fair number of key tracks I was aware of and quite liked, but from albums I’d never felt strongly enough to buy.)

It’s mostly a darn good series, and almost every volume has at least 4-5 tracks I wouldn’t want to be without.  Good stuff. 👍

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Oh yeah, it's an excellent series. I'd be happy to own any volume. But having missed out on the original releases, only the (extremely good) Volume 1 is easy to acquire on CD (it periodically shows up in DG's sale bin for some reason). Download seems to be the way to go for the others.