Jazz 45's question.

Hardbopjazz

Guest ariceffron

i dunno but i SWEAR i heard on the radio yesterday MAGIC CARPET RIDE by STEPPENWOLF and the backing track was the same but the vocal track was slightly different, but of the same vintage. it was really really weird cause ive never heard it before

I've never collected any jazz 45's before. But here's the question. Were the 45's different takes then what would appear on the LP's? The times are shorter, this could be because you have less space on 45's then on full albums. Anyone can lend some instight to this?

Occasionally there would be different takes issued, or even different, shorter versions recorded specifically for single release. But as far as I can tell, usually jazz 45s were either edited versions of the album cut or the full cut put on two sides of the single, with a fadeout/fadein between the sides.

The two strangest jazz 45's I have are an Impulse 45 with an excerpt from Coltrane's Ascension album, and an ESP 45 with Ornette's "Sadness" on one side, and an Albert Ayler recording (I believe "Angels", but I dont have the record handy). I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess what jukeboxes these records were intended for.

The two strangest jazz 45's I have are an Impulse 45 with an excerpt from Coltrane's Ascension album, and an ESP 45 with Ornette's "Sadness" on one side, and an Albert Ayler recording (I believe "Angels", but I dont have the record handy). I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess what jukeboxes these records were intended for.

My guess is we'll find out after we hit the great beyond; depending on your tastes, that would qualify as heaven or hell... ;)

As stated above, it varies. Sometimes there were different takes, sometimes edits (like the single version of "Girl From Ipanema" which removes Joao's Portuguese chorus), and sometimes tracks specifically released as singles (you can find these, for instance, on expanded versions of Verve albums on CD, especially by singers like Anita O'day and Dinah Washington). Also, after microgroove was introduced in the early 50s, some companies released singles in both 78 & 45--and don't forget that the term "album" comes from the actual album binders that multiple, related 78s--and later, for a while, 45s were packaged in.

The 55 bar in NY has a great jukebox full of old jazz singles, as did the defunct Lion's Head next door.

There were occasional instrumental jazz top 40 singles. When I was a kid, Cannonball's Mercy Mercy got a lot of AM radio play.