2023-24 MLB Hot Stove League

I guess I will get it started.

Today's news:

Justin Turner declined his option with the Red Sox which I find disappointing as until recently I thought the option was mutual and the team could bring him back either way.  With new faces in charge perhaps they will hang around in the bidding for his services a little longer before deciding "that's too rich for our blood".  The short-sighted approach is that moving Yoshida to DH solves a logjam in the outfield but reality is that Devers has to move to DH and STAT.  His defense eviscerates his less-than-awesome bat.

Bellinger a free agent - no surprise there and it will be interesting to see if he suffers any cost for having sucked donkey you-know-whats for three full years before a return to form in his age 28 season.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’m curious to see where Ohtani lands and for how much, especially in the wake of his TJS. Pre-TJS I was thinking the Dodgers, but they seem to be in need of immediate rotation help… do they go all in on pursuing him anyway, knowing that his first year will be a write-off on the pitching side of things? I’ve also read that he likes Seattle as a city and has spent time there during previous offseasons. 

Stroman opting out from the Cubs and E-Rod opting out from the Tigers.

I really thought Stroman wanted to stay in Chicago but I guess the almighty dollar won out.  As for E-Rod I thought the Red Sox shouldn't have let him go via free agency (and what the hell would anyone have against LA as a trade destination?  I could not believe that he vetoed a chance to play for them at the deadline.)

Per: https://www.lonestarball.com/2023/11/4/23946421/mlb-rumors-eduardo-rodriguez-opts-out-becomes-free-agent

The Tigers and the Los Angeles Dodgers agreed to a deal at the trade deadline this year that would have sent Rodriguez to L.A. However, Rodriguez exercised his no-trade clause, indicating that he did not want to disrupt and uproot his family mid-season. Rodriguez and the Tigers have been engaging in negotiations, per reports, and there seems to be a pretty decent chance Rodriguez ends up returning to Detroit on a new deal.

Same site reports:

The Texas Rangers are likely going to be in the market for at least one starting pitcher this offseason. Stroman joins a free agent class that includes, among others, Aaron Nola, Jordan Montgomery, Lucas Giolito, and Sonny Gray.

Resigning Montgomery is Job #1 imo, but who else on that list might be worthy? Giolito faded badly in the second half, and how old is Sonny Gray now? Nola, I don't know 

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies, meant to post this in the hot stove thread:

Not the first time Brian Cashman has dissed current/former players or thrown them under the bus for whatever selfish reason he has at hand. Yes, Stanton is injury-prone; no need to make it sound like a character flaw.  Btw Stanton’s agent also represents Yamamoto (who may be Boston-bound anyway, Dan?). Nice unforced error, Cash! Maybe he should start a podcast or host a radio show if he wants to talk trash about Yankee players, but he damn well shouldn’t be GM. 

Stanton’s agent warns players about Yankee organization: “Can’t let your guard down even in the offseason”

Gerrit Cole wins Cy Young with unanimous vote

Very happy for the “Cole Train”—well deserved. 

(Some snarky potshots at Brian Cashman from PSA posters in the wake of this news: “Brian Cashman called Gerrit Cole to let him know that he is not impressed” and “Cashman says he traded Sonny Gray because Cy Youngs are not a part of his game,” the latter referencing Cashman’s diss of Giancarlo Stanton earlier this week. Gray had an outstanding season with the Twins—just one of several players the Yankee organization seemed to screw up or mishandle during their NY tenure. See also Cashman’s actual remark last year after trading Jordan Montgomery that they didn’t see Monty as a playoff rotation starter. Monty can now give Cashman the middle finger while sporting a World Series ring that he damn sure helped the Rangers win.)

Blake Snell wins NL Cy Young

… and in so doing becomes only the seventh pitcher to win a CYA in both leagues. 

On 11/4/2023 at 8:27 PM, JSngry said:

Same site reports:

The Texas Rangers are likely going to be in the market for at least one starting pitcher this offseason. Stroman joins a free agent class that includes, among others, Aaron Nola, Jordan Montgomery, Lucas Giolito, and Sonny Gray.

Resigning Montgomery is Job #1 imo, but who else on that list might be worthy? Giolito faded badly in the second half, and how old is Sonny Gray now? Nola, I don't know 

Sonny Gray just turned 34. Nola is 30 and has been a fairly consistent 12-win, mid-3 ERA, 180-200 IP starter for the Phillies throughout his career.

I am not convinced any of these guys are true bona fide stars worth the money that will be thrown at them (I mean the FAs not the CYs).

Gray struck me as someone unsuited for a big market environment. Wish I could recall the Yankee pitcher with that problem back in the 80s.

Montgomery ... I'd prefer his teammate myself but I've said before the Sox shouldn't have let Eovaldi go.

Stroman might potentially be the best option, I kind of see him as a Pedro-esque 'will to win' kind of guy but the injuries this past season give me some pause, not to mention the mileage on his arm.

20 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I am not convinced any of these guys are true bona fide stars worth the money that will be thrown at them (I mean the FAs not the CYs).

Gray struck me as someone unsuited for a big market environment. Wish I could recall the Yankee pitcher with that problem back in the 80s.

Ed Whitson?

Sonny Gray did much better on the road as a Yankee than he did at home, which lends some credence to the argument that perhaps he wasn’t well-suited for NY. While not discounting the potential psychological effect of the NYC media hot-house (which surely affected Joey Gallo), I think it tends to be used as an easy copout for the organization whenever any of their higher-profile acquisitions perform below expectations. They messed up Gray’s approach, and he immediately rebounded upon going to the Reds (from whom we got bupkes in return—more shrewd dealing, Cash) and being reunited with a coach he’d worked with previously. Monty started using his sinker much more with both the Cards and Rangers and produced better results as well. Baltimore’s hitting coaches got Aaron Hicks back on track after we dumped him. The statistical rebound (or not) of ex-Yankees would be an interesting look, if any PSA writer ever undertakes such an article.

Btw just realized that Blake Snell is a free agent too? Dan, do you think they’ll pursue him, or are they all in on Yamamoto? He’s certainly shown that he can pitch in the AL East.

18 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Ed Whitson?

Sonny Gray did much better on the road as a Yankee than he did at home, which lends some credence to the argument that perhaps he wasn’t well-suited for NY. While not discounting the potential psychological effect of the NYC media hot-house (which surely affected Joey Gallo), I think it tends to be used as an easy copout for the organization whenever any of their higher-profile acquisitions perform below expectations. They messed up Gray’s approach, and he immediately rebounded upon going to the Reds (from whom we got bupkes in return—more shrewd dealing, Cash) and being reunited with a coach he’d worked with previously. Monty started using his sinker much more with both the Cards and Rangers and produced better results as well. Baltimore’s hitting coaches got Aaron Hicks back on track after we dumped him. The statistical rebound (or not) of ex-Yankees would be an interesting look, if any PSA writer ever undertakes such an article.

Btw just realized that Blake Snell is a free agent too? Dan, do you think they’ll pursue him, or are they all in on Yamamoto? He’s certainly shown that he can pitch in the AL East.

No idea on Snell. Haven't really followed Boston rumors much at all.

yes it was Ed Whitson (for some reason I was thinking Rick Rhoden) ... and as for Hicks, I honestly thought he brought little to the table and was shocked when they signed him to any extension/decent money.  Don't mind him performing elsewhere though.

22 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Looked like an average Marlins game attendance. And Didi Gregorious is playing?  Its not been that long since he was starting for the Yanks has it?

Ghost writers of a different sort:

Sports Illustrated published articles by fake, AI-generated writers

... I'll be sticking to The Athletic anyway, thanks.  SI was a venerable institution of my childhood and adolescence, but all things must pass, etc.

In more directly-related baseball news:

Sonny Gray signs with St. Louis Cardinals for 3 yrs/$75 million

Edited by ghost of miles