Zev Feldman and the Jazz Record Center in the New Yorker

Nice writeup about Zev and a recent trip to NYC’s Jazz Record Center.

Jazz Archeology

A slight quibble for me over Andrew Marantz’s characterization of David Baker as a “musicologist”—David was certainly that, but it’s not how I’d identify him to a general reading audience, given that his legacy is rooted in his work as a performing artist, composer, and educator. 

I went into the JRC once, and the owner was playing Tal Farlow's Fuerst Set album, and I went up to the guy and said to him, "Y'know that Eddie Costa solo on Yesterdays is probably the greatest solo in the history of jazz". He agreed with me and said it was his favorite record. I felt I really bonded with the guy over EC.

That's why I was surprised when a year or so later when I went in there without having bathed or shaved in a few days, he practically threw me out of the place!

• 2 weeks later...

The one time I was in there I was drooling over the upper shelves with the Mosaic sets. All in great nick.

At the time they also had boxes of rare originals e.g. Blue Note with set prices. In retrospect, some of them were bargains based on what has happened to prices since.

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...

During one of my last trips to JRC a few years ago, a guy picked up some vintage original Blue Note LPs without prices on a desk near the front and asked Fred ”How much are these?” Fred yelled at him “Put them back, they aren’t for sale!” I am sure they were already sold or getting read to be auctioned for high prices.