Bud Shank "California Dreaming"!?

medjuck

Maybe everybody but me already knew this, but..  Yesterday in response to Andre 2000's new flute album, the LA Times listed what their reviewer called  the best "flute-y classics".  Number three was California Dreaming of which he wrote "It gets a lot of its witchy allure from Bud Shanks alto flute solo which he reportedly improvised in one take. "

And BTW In the number 1 spot, beating out The Beatles, The Beastie Boys and even Lizzo, was Herbie Mann's "One Note Samba". 

18 minutes ago, medjuck said:

And BTW In the number 1 spot, beating out The Beatles, The Beastie Boys and even Lizzo, was Herbie Mann's "One Note Samba". 

I'm not surprised, as Herbie Mann was one of the first to really get the Brazilian feel, much better than Getz or most others. A compilation with all of Mann's versions of Brazilian tunes would be great. "One Note Samba was originally issued twice, one a Mann LP and on an album with half Joao Gilberto's first bosssa nova tunes, licensed from Odeon in Brazil. 

Ni04NDE2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

An earlier version was on a United Artists LP:

OS0xNjg0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Never heard the Shank LP, btw.

Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I'm not surprised, as Herbie Mann was one of the first to really get the Brazilian feel, much better than Getz or most others. A compilation with all of Mann's versions of Brazilian tunes would be great. "One Note Samba was originally issued twice, one a Mann LP and on an album with half Joao Gilberto's first bosssa nova tunes, licensed from Odeon in Brazil. 

Ni04NDE2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

An earlier version was on a United Artists LP:

OS0xNjg0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Never heard the Shank LP, btw.

The article is referring to the Mommas and Poppas version on which he takes the flute solo.  And it might be claimed that Shank had the first Bossa Nova Lp with Brazilliance which he did with Laurendo Almeida in 1953.  (Excuse the probably spelling mistakes.) 

Edited by medjuck

16 hours ago, medjuck said:

And it might be claimed that Shank had the first Bossa Nova Lp with Brazilliance which he did with Laurendo Almeida in 1953.  (Excuse the probably spelling mistakes.) 

Chronologically, you're correct. But stylistically, the music Almeida and Shank played was not Bossa Nova, but a blend of Choro, Baiao and other semi-classical and folkloric styles. Bossa Nova as such did not exist before the first Jobim-Gilberto recordings. To somebody not familair with all details of Brazilian music, it sounds similar due to the use of guitar, and Almeida, too, played bossa nova later in his career, but not with Shank, as it did not yet exists as a musical style. 

Edited by mikeweil

15 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Chronologically, you're correct. But stylistically, the music Almeida and Shank played was not Bossa Nova, but a blend of Choro, Baiao and other semi-classical and folkloric styles. Bossa Nova as such did not exist before the first Jobim-Gilberto recordings. To somebody not familair with all details of Brazilian music, it sounds similar due to the use of guitar, and Almeida, too, played bossa nova later in his career, bur not with Shank, as it did not yet exists as a musicla style. 

There are some who claim the Braziliance album influenced bossa, as the bossa musicians from that period had their ear to the ground with regard to American jazz.  I wasn't there, so I can't say either way.

8 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

I don't think so. Ruy Castro, e.g. mentions neither Almeida nor Shank. Gilberto's music comes from the Samba Cançao tradition, which was of little importance to Almeida's music. 

I have Castro's book and have read it twice.  His lack of a reference does not mean that Brasilian musicians did not hear this record.