Raymond Scott

Teasing the Korean

This is the LP I was thinking about, which my father bought and later gave to me.

LTY3MzcuanBlZw.jpeg

This CD is long out of print but shouldn't be too hard to find. It has a lot of his important small group recordings.

Also check out The Carl StallingOS05MDMwLmpwZWc.jpegLTM2NTAuanBlZw.jpeg Project CDs, which have Stallings arrangements of Scott's music for Looney Tunes cartoon soundtracks.

Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Too bad Stash never got around to issuing a Volume Two, whether it was due to licensing or founder Bernie Brightman's death and the liquidation of the Stash Records label that followed.

I am unsure how much of Scott's music is on the two Stalling CDs, but "Powerhouse" was used in many Looney Tunes. I always remember the one with the fast moving assembly line using a snippet from it.

Edited by Ken Dryden

4 hours ago, T.D. said:

What little I know about Raymond Scott pertains to electronic music.

One of his pieces was included in the OHM: The Early Gurus of Electronic Music compilation.

A fantastic collection that my parents appear on!  (They were part of the vocal group on Your Hit Parade, of which Scott was the musical director.)

4 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

This is the LP I was thinking about, which my father bought and later gave to me.

LTY3MzcuanBlZw.jpeg

This CD is long out of print but shouldn't be too hard to find. It has a lot of his important small group recordings.

Also check out The Carl StallingOS05MDMwLmpwZWc.jpegLTM2NTAuanBlZw.jpeg Project CDs, which have Stallings arrangements of Scott's music for Looney Tunes cartoon soundtracks.

Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Too bad Stash never got around to issuing a Volume Two, whether it was due to licensing or founder Bernie Brightman's death and the liquidation of the Stash Records label that followed.

I am unsure how much of Scott's music is on the two Stalling CDs, but "Powerhouse" was used in many Looney Tunes. I always remember the one with the fast moving assembly line using a snippet from it.

I have most of these, except for the Big Band LP.  I also have the Columbia/Sony collection of the Quintette's 78s; two CDs by the Beau Hunks, who recreate the Quintette arrangements; The Unexpected; two collections of his electronic stuff; all three volumes of Soothing Sounds for Baby; and the Metropole Orchestra's album of orchestral arrangements of the Quintette stuff, originally arranged for Paul Whiteman.