What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51RdX03SoLL._SS500_.jpg

All star lineup. Wonder if the music lives up to the names - hope Chuck gives an opinion on this one.

I have it. I don't think it lives up to the names, although it is quite good in many places. I don't think that some of the all star soloists were used to their best advantage.

I thought the best performances on these concerts were by Gilmore (especially) and Ra. The sound balance could be better, and it's a bit of overkill (one or two concerts would have been enough--I thought the second concert of the four was the best)--but as you say, it is quite good at various times. I like the drummers as well.

I thought the best performances on these concerts were by Gilmore (especially) and Ra. The sound balance could be better, and it's a bit of overkill (one or two concerts would have been enough--I thought the second concert of the four was the best)--but as you say, it is quite good at various times. I like the drummers as well.

Richard Davis plays some notable solos, especially on "What's New". At that time Sun Ra did not always have a bassist in his group, and had not had a master bassist for some time. So it is striking to hear Davis play in the ensembles at times.

"At times"--that seems to be my operative phrase about this set. It is inconsistent, to my ears.

Pepper Adams - Urban Dreams

John Surman - Private City

The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night

I consider myself a moderate Beatles' fan (they are really more my parents' generation, though I have most of their albums) but it still shocked me recently to realize I'd never heard Hard Day's Night all the way through. I had seen the film though, so that should count for something.

A couple of box sets I hope BMG will deliver before they close shop. They've had so many things "temporarily out of stock" (I have one order TOOS for 30+ days) I'm concerned that when they close, they'll cancel all the TOOS orders. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. I've pretty much run through their jazz offerings so I ordered:

41myQPkZ1KL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

King Of The Road: The Genius Of Roger Miller [3-CD]

51q7H2huSqL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The Essential Bill Monroe & His Blue Grass Boys (2-CD)

I'm in my favorite city, so I went to the Louisiana Music Factory yesterday and spent a couple of hours going through their 78s. The real finds where three unreissued records (two Charlie Thompsons and a Wooden Joe Nicholas) on Bill Russell's American Music label. (Well, the Wooden Joe did come out on a bootleg album.)

The Very Best of Booker T. & the MG's (Rhino CD)

Was going to get that 3-CD set from Newbury for $13.99 when I read a customer review that said the version of "Time Is Tight" on there was a very different alternate. Saw this at Amoeba for less and realized it has all the tracks I really want or need by them.

Vinyl pick ups on National Record Store Day:

Lee Konitz - Motion (Japanese Pressing!)

Steve Tibbets – Big Map Idea

Art Blakey – A Night In Tunisia

Egberto Gismonti - Duas Vozes

Gary Burton – Passengers

Keith Jarrett – Still Live

Astor Piazzola - Adios Nonin

Edited by WorldB3