What music did you buy today?

tonym

Anat Cohen - Claroscuro
Old Time Musketry - Drifter
Eric Alexander - Full Range
Kvar - Kvar
Chris Potter - Song For Anyone
Bobby Sanabria Big Band - Afro-Cuban Dream ... Live & In Clave!
Gerald Wilson Orchestra - In My Time
Bobby Watson - Horizon Reassembled
Kenny Werner Trio - Form & Fantasy
Bob Wilber & Kenny Davern - Summit Reunion
Larry Willis - Steal Away
Matt Bauder - Day in Pictures
Paul Lieberman - ibeji
Paula West - Live at Jazz Standard
Peter Bernstein Quartet - Signs Of Life
The Bad Plus - Never Stop
The Claudia Quintet - Royal Toast
Miguel Zenon - Identities Are Changeable

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are all fantastic records -- especially Larry Willis' Steal Away. That one's desert-island music for me.

And the others look good too. I just haven't heard 'em. ;)

Edited by HutchFan

These are all fantastic records -- especially Larry Willis' Steal Away. That one's desert-island music for me.

hf, after figuring out that your tastes - and Alypius' tastes as well, God rest his soul - were so simpatico w/ my own, I made up buy lists from old postings on AAJ Forum where you and Alypius had recommended various albums. Every one of those you mention above came off my hutchfan buy list, and, as usual and so far, they are delicious to the ear. I've rarely been disappointed with the stuff you guys recommend.

hf, after figuring out that your tastes - and Alypius' tastes as well, God rest his soul - were so simpatico w/ my own, I made up buy lists from old postings on AAJ Forum where you and Alypius had recommended various albums. Every one of those you mention above came off my hutchfan buy list, and, as usual and so far, they are delicious to the ear. I've rarely been disappointed with the stuff you guys recommend.

Wow. That's cool. (I agree with you about Alypius. I love how much he loved music. Very inspiring. It's so strange that he's gone.)

BTW: I've got those Garbarek/Connors ECMs that you mentioned the other day on my "to buy" list. So it works in both directions. ;)

Oooh!

Some good ones too - the 'Oliver Nelson and Friends' (Hank Jones on funky harpsichord !), the Chico Hamilton 'El Chico', the Archie Shepp 'For Losers' and the McCoy Tyner 'Inception/Reaching Forth'. Sound quality seems very good - should have bought even more of them !

Edited by sidewinder

Oooh!

Some good ones too - the 'Oliver Nelson and Friends' (Hank Jones on funky harpsichord !), the Chico Hamilton 'El Chico', the Archie Shepp 'For Losers' and the McCoy Tyner 'Inception/Reaching Forth'. Sound quality seems very good - should have bought even more of them !

I'm particularly fond of Inception/Reaching Forth.

A whole bundle of the Impulse '2LPs on one CD' series for £3 each at the good ol' London FOPP at Cambridge Circus.

Oooh!

The one I got from this series (Sonny Rollins) sounds good. It was mastered at Eastside Mastering Studios, Berlin. This series was a European initiative? A lot of them are currently €15 for three CDs at amazon.de (about two thirds of the series).

Much better than the US Impulse! Originals from a few years earlier (mostly Kevin Reeves). Those were garbage.

Edited by erwbol

51EDr8uuwYL._SS280_PJStripe-Robin,TopLef

Myron Walden - Like A Flower Seeking The Sun

Jaleel Shaw and Ambrose Akinmushire gave this high praise on instagram and then I watched an interview Myron did with Bob Reynolds where he mentions this album so I figured I'd order it.

I really like Myron's playing with Brian Blade Fellowship. I believe I'll look into this one as well, once the ol' wallet recovers....

51EDr8uuwYL._SS280_PJStripe-Robin,TopLef

Myron Walden - Like A Flower Seeking The Sun

Jaleel Shaw and Ambrose Akinmushire gave this high praise on instagram and then I watched an interview Myron did with Bob Reynolds where he mentions this album so I figured I'd order it.

I really like Myron's playing with Brian Blade Fellowship. I believe I'll look into this one as well, once the ol' wallet recovers....

If only shit stopped disappearing before the wallet had a chance to recover! :unsure:

Edited by erwbol

A whole bundle of the Impulse '2LPs on one CD' series for £3 each at the good ol' London FOPP at Cambridge Circus.

Oooh!

The one I got from this series (Sonny Rollins) sounds good. It was mastered at Eastside Mastering Studios, Berlin. This series was a European initiative? A lot of them are currently €15 for three CDs at amazon.de (about two thirds of the series).

Much better than the US Impulse! Originals from a few years earlier (mostly Kevin Reeves). Those were garbage.

The sound on these is better than the GRPs (not difficult) and also the digipacksI think. Certainly good enough for my everyday purposes and if I want to treat myself to a 'hi fi' listen then I'll pop a vinyl copy on if I have one (stand by for 'incoming'..). No point in splurging money on imported Japanese CDs.. :cool:

The text in the booklet confirms that these originate in Germany - Darmstadt Jazz Institut seem to have been involved in the series as does (intriguingly) Dusty Groove !

The McCoy is a great release - two classic LPs.

and where else can you hear Ollie Nelson and Hank Jones do a nice cheesy version of 'Winchester Cathedral'?

Edited by sidewinder

Oooh!

The sound on these is better than the GRPs (not difficult) and also the digipacksI think. Certainly good enough for my everyday purposes and if I want to treat myself to a 'hi fi' listen then I'll pop a vinyl copy on if I have one (stand by for 'incoming'..). No point in splurging money on imported Japanese CDs.. :cool:

The text in the booklet confirms that these originate in Germany - Darmstadt Jazz Institut seem to have been involved in the series as does (intriguingly) Dusty Groove !

The McCoy is a great release - two classic LPs.

and where else can you hear Ollie Nelson and Hank Jones do a nice cheesy version of 'Winchester Cathedral'?

Sure, if I want to hear Sonny Rollins On Impulse! in 'hi fi' then I pop in the hybrid SACD (APO, Kevin Gray) (just €21 incl. shipping). No point in splurging money on even more expensive vinyl of the same APO release. :w

I got the 2-on-1 for There Will Never Be Another You.

Edited by erwbol

Bill Dixon Orchestra - Intents and Purposes [international Phonopraph]

Ordered this album also some months ago, but that order never arrived unfortunately. Hopefully I have more luck this time.

R-2861697-1304458478.jpeg.jpg

Other Dimensions in Music - Now! [1998, AUM Fidelity]

R-466226-1117651477.jpg.jpg

William Parker - Double Sunrise over Neptune [2008, AUM Fidelity]

R-1413179-1217593995.jpeg.jpg

Trio X - Live in Vilnius [2008, NoBusiness, double vinyl]

R-2009815-1258314696.gif.jpg

IkeQuebec_JohnHardee_BlueNoteFortiesReco

Well, yesterday. I made one of my rare visits to New York earlier this week, and found The Complete Blue Note Forties Recordings of Ike Quebec and John Hardee at the Jazz Record Center. This is the Mosiac set I have most regretted not buying when it was in print, so I was excited to find a nice copy at a very fair price.

IkeQuebec_JohnHardee_BlueNoteFortiesReco

Well, yesterday. I made one of my rare visits to New York earlier this week, and found The Complete Blue Note Forties Recordings of Ike Quebec and John Hardee at the Jazz Record Center. This is the Mosiac set I have most regretted not buying when it was in print, so I was excited to find a nice copy at a very fair price.

Congrats. Fine store with good stock and (usually) prices I can live with. Hope to visit Fred in July when we go to the Vision Fest.

64b918799d.jpg

Good record

me neither been an dedicated Gidon Kremer follower nor too fond about Weinberg I`ve participated @ concerts no 1+2 of folllowing festival

http://www.festwochen.at/programmdetails/hommage-an-mieczyslaw-weinberg/

yesterday. As said performances left some deep impressions with me, this buy was something of a follow-up ....

64b918799d.jpg

Good record

me neither been an dedicated Gidon Kremer follower nor too fond about Weinberg I`ve participated @ concerts no 1+2 of folllowing festival

http://www.festwochen.at/programmdetails/hommage-an-mieczyslaw-weinberg/

yesterday. As said performances left some deep impressions with me, this buy was something of a follow-up ....

I couldn't tell Kremer from John Luc Ponty (though I could tell him from Dave Swarbrick). But I like Weinberg.

Wish we had programmes like that here in the English provinces! I know, Vienna (like London) is a major cultural centre. Different rules apply to programming.