What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joëlle Léandre & India Cooke - Journey [2010, NoBusiness, vinyl]

nblp25.jpg

Mikołaj Trzaska, Davin Hoff, Michael Zerang - Sleepless in Chicago [2013, Nobusiness, vinyl]

Design-image_Trzaska.jpg

Lotte Anker, Craig Taborn, Gerald Cleaver - Live at the Loft [2009, Ilk Music]

MI0002882859.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Switchback (Waclaw Zimpel, Klaus Kugel, Hilliard Greene, Mars Williams) - s/t [2015, Multikulti]

MPI028.jpg

Bobby Bradford & John Carter - No U Turn [2015, Dark Tree Roots serries]

a2877838948_10.jpg

Unfortunately the Leandre/Cooke was not in stock anymore, so replaced it for another NoBusiness vinyl:

The Group (Ahmed Abdullah, Marion Brown, Billy Bang, Sirone, Fred Hopkins, Andrew Cyrille) - Live [2012, NoBusiness, vinyl]

the_group_live.jpg

Today's Birthday gift order:

Brotzmann - Edwards - Noble: Soul Food

John Carter/Bobby Bradford Quartet: Self Determination Music

Takase/Schlippenbach: So Long Eric

Pino Minafra: Sudori (to replace my long lost CD - desert island recording

Amon Duul II: Yeti

Whammies volume 1& 2

Italian Instabile Orchestra: London Hymns

Dunmall - Rogers - Norton: Go Forth Duck

Louis Moholo-Moholo Unit: For the Blue Notes

Edited by Steve Reynolds

John Carter/Bobby Bradford Quartet: Self Determination Music

Lots of purchases of that (very fine) title from members of this site alone..

Picked up Tubby Hayes 'Without A Song' (Acrobat 3CD) yesterday. A revelatory - and essential - Tubby Hayes issue that will be a great accompaniment to Simon Spillet's biography, when it arrives in my mailbox.

Edited by sidewinder

Superb record.

I think you recommended it to me back in Medieval Times.

Likewise I think. I've neglected the Italian Jazz scene in recent years by the excellence of Roberto Ottaviano's "Forgotten Matches" with Alex Hawkins has me intrigued again. Lots of new names that don't mean much to me.

Superb record.

I think you recommended it to me back in Medieval Times.

Likewise I think. I've neglected the Italian Jazz scene in recent years by the excellence of Roberto Ottaviano's "Forgotten Matches" with Alex Hawkins has me intrigued again. Lots of new names that don't mean much to me.

Yes, ten or so years back it seemed to have a higher profile in the UK - I recall seeing La Banda, Trovesi, Italian Instabile; and then a whole host at the last Appleby (the cost of bringing those across probably helped sink the festival). I enjoyed going through some of the Tiziano Tononi records a few weeks back. Real fire there.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

816eaYU6DdL._SX425_.jpg

Fred Anderson - Birthday Live 2000

71gcGmnTw-L._SX425_.jpg

81vD5r7awWL._SX425_.jpg

Louis Armstrong - Satchmo, A Musical Autobiography + Stachmo Plays King Oliver (this will be the third version I have of this album) and The Good Book

picked up these directly from Avid. Even with shipping to the US it was dirt cheap. $16 dollars i believe.

Four_Brothers_350x350_A.jpgFour_Brothers_350x350_B.jpg

Recorded November 25, 1960 at Funkhaus Hamburg, produced by Hans Gertberg
“Four Brothers”: Lucky Thompson (soprano & tenor saxophone), Barney Wilen (soprano & tenor saxophone),
Helmut Brandt (baritone saxophone), Bent Jaedig (tenor saxophone),
with Roland Kovac (piano), Larry Atwell (guitar), Jürgen Ehlers (bass), Rudy Pronk (drums)

Solos/ Featuring: Lucky Thompson (2/ 8/ 11/ 16), Barney Wilen (1/ 4/ 5/ 10/ 11), Helmut Brandt (3/ 6/ 11/ 12 /13),
Bent Jaedig (1/ 6/ 13), rhythm section only led by Roland Kovac on 7 (quartet) and 15 (trio)

Release Date: 27.03.2015

ROLF_KUEHN_Stop_Time_350x350_A.jpg

Rolf Kühn (clarinet), Klaus Doldinger (tenor saxophone), Ingfried Hoffmann (organ/ piano),
Cees See (drums), Herman Schoonderwalt (bass)

All tracks previously unreleased, recorded June 25-27, 1962 in Hamburg, from the personal collection of Rolf Kühn

Release Date: 24.10.2014

http://www.sonorama.de/index.php?section=Sonorama-News

preorders in on

Kamasi Washington - The Epic

Curious about your thoughts when you get a chance to hear it to see if they match mine

Shall do. Not released here for a few weeks.

To be honest I ordered it as I'm intrigued by someone releasing a 3CD debut (surely hubris awaits) and the prerelease tracks sound good in a "lets throw lots of 'spiritual' jazz influences in the pot and stir hard with a few contemporary sounds". Whilst I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking the Brainfeeder/Flying Lotus connection might bring a different perspective. That it's a Ninja Tune is also a canny positioning - taking it out of the obvious Jazz circles and it may do well over here as 'Jazz for non-Jazz fans'

What's his story?

Edited by mjazzg

preorders in on

Curious about your thoughts when you get a chance to hear it to see if they match mine

To be honest I ordered it as I'm intrigued by someone releasing a 3CD debut (surely hubris awaits) and the prerelease tracks sound good in a "lets throw lots of 'spiritual' jazz influences in the pot and stir hard with a few contemporary sounds". Whilst I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking the Brainfeeder/Flying Lotus connection might bring a different perspective. That it's a Ninja Tune is also a canny positioning - taking it out of the obvious Jazz circles and it may do well over here as 'Jazz for non-Jazz fans'

What's his story?

I agree about the ambitious nature made it intriguing for me also. I lucked into an advance of it. I think your expectations are grounded and will serve you well. Your final point really hits it on the head in my opinion. I feel with the push to non-Jazz fans will provide some hype that Jazz fans would not share. I think the praise Flying Lotus gives it is an extension of that thought process.

“He just plays the craziest shit, man. I mean, everything — the past, present, the future,” Flying Lotus says, whose family lineage includes one of Washington’s direct musical forebears, John Coltrane. “It's hard to find unique voices in this music. Especially in jazz, more so lately, everybody is trying to do the same shit. I don't want to hear ‘My Favorite Things’ anymore… What I am hearing is a leader among artists.”
Edited by jcam_44

preorders in on

What's his story?

I agree about the ambitious nature made it intriguing for me also. I lucked into an advance of it. I think your expectations are grounded and will serve you well. Your final point really hits it on the head in my opinion. I feel with the push to non-Jazz fans will provide some hype that Jazz fans would not share. I think the praise Flying Lotus gives it is an extension of that thought process.

“He just plays the craziest shit, man. I mean, everything — the past, present, the future,” Flying Lotus says, whose family lineage includes one of Washington’s direct musical forebears, John Coltrane. “It's hard to find unique voices in this music. Especially in jazz, more so lately, everybody is trying to do the same shit. I don't want to hear ‘My Favorite Things’ anymore… What I am hearing is a leader among artists.”

Yes, that push to non-Jazz fans will almost inevitably result in a backlash from the keepers of the Jazz flame.

Flying Lotus should listen a bit wider methinks :)

Still, looking forward to hearing a new voice

preorders in on

What's his story?

Yes, that push to non-Jazz fans will almost inevitably result in a backlash from the keepers of the Jazz flame.

Flying Lotus should listen a bit wider methinks :)

Still, looking forward to hearing a new voice

The sample give a good indication of the overall album experience