What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Via the huge Fantasy-related titles sale currently at Oldies.com. ($30.00 and change delivered!)

Jimmy Woods - Conflict

Jimmy Woods - Awakening!!

b8e9808a8da0cc5d4d595110.L._AA240_.jpg410ZQ2E9BGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Sonny Stitt - Stitt's Bits: Bebop Recordings 1949-1952 (3-CD)

Red Rodney - Red Rodney Quintets

41fJdqU07hL._SL500_AA240_.jpg4155QMP6VFL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Shorty Baker & Doc Cheatam - Shorty And Doc

41tBmMZ3EmL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I bought Battle Stations and Zoot Sims And The Gershwin Brothers today. I've been wanting to explore "Jaws" and Zoot, and these sounded excellent from the samples I've heard. I'm expecting that these will help put my vacation into full swing!

51xpWU90hyL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51RaQx2wI5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Fine albums both! :) Money well spent!

Eastern Rebellion 2 (Timeless)

Cedar Walton, Bob Berg, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins in 1977.

Yeah - great band. I saw them around the time that 'EB II' came out - Berg had just replaced George Coleman on tenor. Vol 3 is the only one I am missing on vinyl. Anyone got a spare Timeless pressing?

Yeah - great band. I saw them around the time that 'EB II' came out - Berg had just replaced George Coleman on tenor. Vol 3 is the only one I am missing on vinyl. Anyone got a spare Timeless pressing?

Bought (and still have, of course) the first vol after Humphrey Lyttelton played a track from what was then a newly released LP on his Monday evening show. Only came to hear some of Vol 2 recently, courtesy last.fm. Now quite an obscure item, search engines tending to say "Do you mean Easter Rebellion?" First tried to buy the CD via US amazon, but the supplier canceled as unobtainable. Finally got it (quite cheaply, actually) from a Swiss supplier, via the French site priceminister. Now playing: great stuff - worth all the hassle!

Bought (and still have, of course) the first vol after Humphrey Lyttelton played a track from what was then a newly released LP on his Monday evening show.

Uncanny ! Same here. I've got the feeling that the track in question might have been 'Mode For Joe'.

Edited by sidewinder

Bought (and still have, of course) the first vol after Humphrey Lyttelton played a track from what was then a newly released LP on his Monday evening show.

Uncanny ! Same here. I've got the feeling that the track in question might have been 'Mode For Joe'.

That I don't recall, but Lyttelton also featured at about that time a track from George Coleman's Amsterdam After Dark, also on Timeless, which sent me out to buy another album which I still enjoy.

Edited by BillF

The Fantasy warehouse clearance sale at Oldies.com was so good I had to go back for more. Fortunately, I was able to tack these onto my previous order so I didn't have to pay a shipping charge again. :D:cool:

Various - The Birdlanders, Vol. 1

(Al Cohn, J.J. Johnson, Kai Winding, Milt Jackson, Henri Renaud, Duke Jordan, Percy Heath, Gene Ramey, Charlie Smith, Lee Abrams.)

Various - The Birdlanders, Vol. 2

(Al Cohn, Kai Winding, Oscar Pettiford, Henri Renaud, Tal Farlow, Gene Ramey, Max Roach, Denzil Best.)

025218193023.jpg025218193122.jpg

Jimmy Heath - Swamp Seed

Charles Kynard - Legends Of Acid Jazz

025218190428.jpg025218521925.jpg

That I don't recall, but Lyttelton also featured at about that time a track from George Coleman's Amsterdam After Dark, also on Timeless, which sent me out to buy another album which I still enjoy.

Yeah, I saw George's band on the tour when that one came out too - with Hilton Ruiz on piano, Herbie lewis on bass and Billy Higgins on drums. Bought the LP pronto after hearing them. George was in magnificent form that tour. The next visit he did to Scotts, he brought his Octet !

Yeah, I saw George's band on the tour when that one came out too - with Hilton Ruiz on piano, Herbie lewis on bass and Billy Higgins on drums. Bought the LP pronto after hearing them. George was in magnificent form that tour. The next visit he did to Scotts, he brought his Octet !

Once again, it was Lyttelton's selection of a track from the Octet's album Big George (Affinity) that led me to put it on my wants list, where it remained for many years until I found a discarded record library copy fairly recently in Manchester's Vinyl Exchange.

Ives: Smphony No. 3, Washington's Birthday, The Unanswered Question (No. 2), Central Park in the Dark, "Country Band" March, Overture and March "1776" - James Sinclair/Northern Symphonia (Naxos)

Steve Lacy - Roswell Rudd Quartet: Early and Late (Cuneiform)

All great stuff! I think "Central Park in the Dark" would be my desert island Ives. Although "What Charles Ives would you take to a desert island?" doesn't come up in conversation as often as you'd think....

Got some things on order that have been be trickling in for the past few days, more on the way:

Jimmy Woods -- "Conflict"

The Amazing Bud Powell, Vol. 1

Bud Powell -- "Summer Broadcasts, 1953"

Elmo Hope -- "Trio and Quintet"

Ben Bernie & His Orchestra: 1923-1929

Hank Mobley -- "A Slice Of the Top"

Ray Noble -- "The Hot Sides 1929-1934"

Carmell Jones Mosaic Select

Randy Weston Mosaic Select

b8e9808a8da0cc5d4d595110.L._AA240_.jpg51lihqZC-iL._SL500_AA240_.jpgb7b7228348a0f0123a6dc010.L._AA240_.jpg

51dLjelYsRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg41+9-xv3TGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51M74bLQvUL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

51Uga7CWpJL._SL500_AA240_.jpgMS002.jpgms004.jpg