Baseball season started!

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Javier Vasquez, in his only appearance so far, pitched very well. He's going tonight against the Bosox, and if I were A-Rod I think I'd wear a batting helmet in the field also! Kevin Brown has pitched very well, proving he can beat the D-Rays in three different cities. If he stays healthy, he's still a very good pitcher. Mussina and Contreras worry me, though. Mussina was better the last time out, but he still hasn't pitched a good game. Contreras may have the same problem as last year; he'll be almost unhittable for 4-5 innings, then his pitches seem to flatten out and it's batting practice. But there are still about 153 games to go, so no need to worry yet.

My Royals are really blowin' it. The starters had a combined 7.54 ERA before tonight's loss to the Twins. Everybody knew the starting rotation was gonna be the X-factor but this just flat out stinks. And Appier gave up a few tonight as well. Too bad because we're scoring runs and always make a push in the late innings. I mean if you're averaging something like seven runs a game and you're still losing you're in serious trouble. We had four dingers against Minnesota on Friday and still lost.

C'mon fellas.....

I have the Lost Ballparks book. Got it for X-Mas a few years ago. Lots of nice pictures and some stories of highlights that happened in the parks.

I love a shot of Forbes Field with the Cathedral of Learning out past left field. It looks like King Kong should be climbing it.

It's the type of book you can go back to, if for nothing else to look at the pictures. Recommended.

Quincy, love the avatar...who is it?

oscar.jpg

Ah...I thought it would be someone I heard of! :tup

Strange...I did a quick check on his stats...why the hell didn't the yankees play him more????

1980 30 NYY AL 78 194 40 54 10 2 14 50 278 376 567

:blink::blink::blink:

Batting left, he should have had 350+ AB's. Was he always injured?

Edited by BERIGAN

Berigan,

As I recall, Oscar Gamble was a guy that would hit 20 homers with 300 ABs a year- if he got 500 ABs he would still hit 20 homers. As a fourth outfielder he was very good, but if he played every day he wouldn't have been as good as he was in a limited role.

Berigan,

As I recall, Oscar Gamble was a guy that would hit 20 homers with 300 ABs a year- if he got 500 ABs he would still hit 20 homers. As a fourth outfielder he was very good, but if he played every day he wouldn't have been as good as he was in a limited role.

Ah thanks...I wasn't sure if he was the black Fred Lynn, and always injured!

Anyone remember "Bake" McBride? I was sooooo pissed when the Cards traded him to the Phillies...I knew it was a mistake...My first favorite player, then Gary Templeton, then Ted Simmons was my man... traded all of them away! :angry:

Anyway, Bake had a head of hair as well....

What about the head of hair on the Sox' Johnny Damon??!!!

No time to post a pic, but he looks like an extra from Mel Gibson's Jesus movie :)

And apparently, Sox fans are showing up in the centerfield bleachers with wigs and beards and calling themselves Damon's Disciples.

Ya gotta love it! :g

Strange...I did a quick check on his stats...why the hell didn't the yankees play him more????

1980 30 NYY AL 78 194 40 54 10 2 14 50 278 376 567

:blink::blink::blink:

Batting left, he should have had 350+ AB's. Was he always injured?

He broke a toe in 1980, otherwise he would have played more. But like PhillyQ noted, he was a great platoon player, but less great as a full time guy.

Something strange: If you go to oscargamble.com the only thing you see is that painted-on-hat Yankee traded card. :huh:

I've got a few of those too. :)

Anyone remember "Bake" McBride? I was sooooo pissed when the Cards traded him to the Phillies...

Oh yeah. I grew up on the Cardinal-Cub Mason-Dixon line.

When I was 11 I was listening to a game that was still going when I had to go to bed. Ended up going 25 innings and lasting 7 hours. Oof! Bake scored the winning run. I cut out the box score and I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere around here.

The trade probably worked out best for Bake as he got a World Series out of it.

And you know why they had to trade Templeton. :rolleyes:

It's not nice to flip the birdie to the fans. :lol:

Edited by Quincy

And you know why they had to trade Templeton.  :rolleyes:

It's not nice to flip the birddie to the fans.  :lol:

So, it is wrong to give the bird to bird fans? :huh:;)

Well, till his knees went out, he was so fast, he had 50 triples over 3 seasons...trade worked out the best for the Cards, but I still missed him...and Ozzie used to hit .250 probably the last great field no hit players(yeah, he got better) we will see in the hall....who will go in with a lifetime BA of .262 these days?

Edited by BERIGAN

Last year, Andres Galarraga hit .301 with 12 homers, and 42 R.B.I. and no one took a chance on him this spring, now this..... :(

Veteran first baseman Andres Galarraga, who is currently a free agent, apparently has had a recurrence of the non-Hodgkins lymphoma that kept him from playing all of the 1999 season and flared up again in 2002.

Galarraga, 42, has been battling cancer since November, the Contra Costa Times newspaper reported Tuesday.

Galarraga

"He's better now, he's much better," Giants third baseman Edgardo Alfonzo, a fellow Venezuelan and former San Francisco teammate, told the Times. "I haven't heard anything negative. I heard he wants to come back during the All-Star break, but he doesn't want to play far from his family [in West Palm Beach, Fla.]."

Galarraga, a popular power hitter known as "Big Cat" during his career, is two home runs short of 400. He's driven in 1,423 runs and has a career .288 batting average in his 19 big-league seasons with Montreal (two stints), St. Louis, Colorado, San Francisco (two stints), Atlanta and Texas.

He was with the Braves when first diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma in 1999, and the cancer returned in 2002 after he rejoined the Expos. Galarraga played in 110 games during a second stint with the Giants last season, hitting .301 with 12 homers and 42 RBI in 272 at-bats.

He was not tendered a contract by the Giants before Dec. 7, meaning he couldn't be re-signed by the club until May. At this point, a return to the team at the All-Star break does not appear likely.

"I haven't talked with him since I left for spring training," manager Felipe Alou told the Contra Costa Times. According to the newspaper, Alou's daughter attends the same high school in West Palm Beach as Galarraga's daughter. "At this hour, you don't know if he's baseball ready. As close as we are, I don't know what his intentions are.

"My wife saw him in West Palm and she said he looked good. He's healthy and in good spirits. He told her he sends his best wishes for us. Maybe I'll give him a call and see where he's at."

Galarraga has said he'd like to reach 400 homers before he officially retires.

Does it get any better?

Yanks swept by Boston in the Bronx, for the first time since September of '99. Its gonna be a long flight to the west coast for the so-called "Bombers" who have Zito and the rest of the A's troika to look forward to.

Sox lost the season series last year 10-9; already they are 6-1 after just two series.

How long before a Steinbrennerian explosion? :g:P

Speaking of old 1st basemen that could still help the braves today, what happened to Fred McGriff after Tampa let him go? No one needs a power hitting backup 1st baseman/pinch hitter? :huh:

didnt tampa trade him to the cubs? from there I believe he went to the dodgers and is now hurt or just unsigned. I know as a braves fan I got tired of him popping up to the infield or hitting dribbling grounders to the second baseman

Speaking of old 1st basemen that could still help the braves today, what happened to Fred McGriff after Tampa let him go? No one needs a power hitting backup 1st baseman/pinch hitter?  :huh:

didnt tampa trade him to the cubs? from there I believe he went to the dodgers and is now hurt or just unsigned. I know as a braves fan I got tired of him popping up to the infield or hitting dribbling grounders to the second baseman

Tampa was being "nice" and letting him get some AB's in spring training, but told him no way he could get a job with the big club...yeah, he popped up some, but still, you could count on 90-100 RBI's each season...braves hitters just seem overmatched in the playoffs...Fred drove in 100+ runs in 2001 and 2002, but was injured last year for the first time in his career, and the Dodgers saw his age,(now 40) and didn't invite him back...If he was 30, everyone would give him a break...

2001 37 TBD AL 97 343 40 109 18 0 19 61 1 1 40 69 .318 .387 .536 184 0 2 9 0 7

CHC NL 49 170 27 48 7 2 12 41 0 1 26 37 .282 .383 .559 95 0 2 4 3 6

TOT 146 513 67 157 25 2 31 102 1 2 66 106 .306 .386 .544 279 0 4 13 3 13

2002 38 CHC NL 146 523 67 143 27 2 30 103 1 2 63 99 .273 .353 .505 264 0 5 6 4 13

2003 39 LAD NL 86 297 32 74 14 0 13 40 0 0 31 66 .249

Edited by BERIGAN

Anyone read the recent article on SI.com about whether Roberto Alomar should go into the Hall of Fame?

Interesting stuff ... a good case can certainly be made based on his numbers, but a number of people have brought up the "spitting" incident ... is that really enough to keep him out of the Hall?